PDA

View Full Version : Kincora Hardcore trail work

Mountain Dew
04-01-2005, 03:37
I wasn't sure where to place this thread so I put it in this forum.

Who here on WB will be at Kincora Hardcore for trail work this year ?

I plan on being there, but was curious as to who I'd see there. I met Rock there last year. Great guy...he must have GIVEN away countless can stoves to hikers for FREE. Imagine that ... :sun

SGT Rock
04-01-2005, 04:00
I plan to be there. I hope the Army lets me :D

Look forward to seeing you again!

Lone Wolf
04-01-2005, 06:52
Is it Sunday, Monday or both days? I'll go if Monday. I can also give 3-4 hikers a ride to and from Kincora.

SGT Rock
04-01-2005, 09:24
Starts Sunday I think, and then runs until Monday evening.

Footslogger
04-01-2005, 09:37
You're correct Rock. I spoke with Bob Peoples yesterday. The HardCore project is Sunday and Monday.

BadAss Turtle and I will be there Sunday but have to be back at the salt mines on Monday so unfortunately we can't stay for the second day. Same thing happened to me last year <argh>

By the way ...Bob told me that ..."it has started". It was about 2 in the afternoon and he already had 7 thru-hikers checked in for the night. The crowd is building and you could hear the enthusiasm in Bob's voice.

Jack Tarlin
04-01-2005, 09:39
I'll be there and hope to be cooking again.

This'll be the fifth year, and in all that time, nobody's died from my meals yet.

Footslogger
04-01-2005, 09:39
Is it Sunday, Monday or both days? I'll go if Monday. I can also give 3-4 hikers a ride to and from Kincora.========================================== ==========
What BadAss Turtle and I are probably gonna need is a ride from Kincora to the Johnson City airport on Sunday. We're thinking of changing our return flights to some unglodly hour on Monday morning (but I hate to pay the $$$ to change our flights)

'Slogger

Trail Yeti
04-01-2005, 11:35
I'll be there again, and I can think of a few others in Boone who are planning on going. Actually, I'm doing trail maintenance with Bob tomorrow.....

Doc
04-01-2005, 12:35
What dates are we talking about? Is this the weekend of Trail Days?

Doc

neo
04-01-2005, 12:40
when is this kincora hard core trail deal:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
04-01-2005, 12:46
May 15-16. Sunday and Monday.

Alligator
04-01-2005, 12:55
I'm planning on spending some time at Trail Days and also would like to help out at Kincora Hardcore. My preference will be to work at Hardcore. Do we need to sign up?

Footslogger
04-01-2005, 13:06
I'm planning on spending some time at Trail Days and also would like to help out at Kincora Hardcore. My preference will be to work at Hardcore. Do we need to sign up?================================
You don't really need to sign up in advance. Just be in the Damascus Post Office parking lot on Sunday morning at about 8:30 - 9. Bob organizes transportation back down to Kincora for those who are interested. If you have your own transportation just be at Kincora around 10 - 11 on Sunday morning.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Alligator
04-01-2005, 13:34
================================
You don't really need to sign up in advance. Just be in the Damascus Post Office parking lot on Sunday morning at about 8:30 - 9. Bob organizes transportation back down to Kincora for those who are interested. If you have your own transportation just be at Kincora around 10 - 11 on Sunday morning.

'Slogger
AT 2003I'll have my own transportation. I had seen something once about some hikers not being able to go to Hardcore, maybe it was due to transportation issues. Depending on circumstances (wife present or not), I should be able to shuttle some hikers down to Kincora.

'Slogger, it looks to be about 30 minutes or so to Johnson City from Kincora. I could easily shuttle you and BA Turtle to the airport and then return to Kincora, should you decide to change your tickets. PM me if you are interested.

Sleepy the Arab
04-01-2005, 18:26
I hope to be there but it depends on my job situation. Maybe this year the TEHCC can find it in their hearts to forgive me for my sins... ;)

Trail Yeti
04-01-2005, 20:19
There is usually a sign up sheet at the ATC booth. And its always better to meet at the Post Office, so that you can get directions to the work site...and give a thru-hiker a ride. .

Mountain Dew
04-01-2005, 20:23
Yeti is correct in that you need to sign up at the ATC booth in the "venders area ?" at Trail Days. Will they turn you down at Hardcore if you don't sign up ? Not sure...that's a better question for Balt. Jack or Sgt. Rock. Bring some work gloves for yourself and possibly another pair if you want.

Trail Yeti
04-01-2005, 23:35
I doubt that they will turn you down....but it definately helps them to know how many....so that they can plan dinner, rides, and lodging....not everyone will fit into Kincora. Workgloves are a great idea however, there are never enough pairs. Baltimore Jack! are you making lasagna again this year???? :banana :banana lasagna makes me :D

Trail Yeti
04-02-2005, 17:15
Ok, I talked to Bob today while doing maintenance and he asks that if you are planning on doing Hard Core that you sign up at the ATC booth in the vendor area. That way they can figure out logistics and stuff. There will be someone at the booth to answer any questions you have etc...
Y'all should come out if you can, its a lot of fun!! :banana :banana

Tractor
04-02-2005, 18:14
I may be able to go this year. I have this US Airways voucher that could get me to & from TriCities airport. Would need to match flight(s) with somebody and bum rides. Whatever works.

Neo. If you're in, we might could split gas out of Nashvegas and drive? I'm about 50 minutes out. It's, what, maybe 5 hours to Kincora?

I'll help dig a privy hole to hear more of Bob's stories!

Ya'll PM me or post with input/questions. I should have plenty of time to figure out how to get that Monday off work.

I wanna see my little cedar spice rack on the wall in the kitchen. I measured and all the stuff should have fit right in!

hustler
04-02-2005, 22:42
I will most likely go if I can find a ride down to Atlanta on Monday night or Tuesday. It was a really good time last year and I hope there is a good turn out again.

rocket04
04-03-2005, 23:08
I really really want to go... I was there last year during my thru and it was a good time and some good work done. It would be a long drive from Ottawa, but I'm still considering going for Trail Days, do hardcore, and then hike a bit. I'll see... Bob deserves that I at least try my very best to make it.