PDA

View Full Version : 100 Miles Down ...

LDog
04-06-2012, 19:10
... 2000 to go.

And I'm holed up in Franklin with a nasty tendonitis. Was doing well, taking it slow. Started feeling strong and started stretching out. After three days of going too fast, too far, with too few breaks, I woke up with stabbing pain in my knee.

Two zeros in the mountains helped. Lots of kindness and support from fellow hikers helped. I hiked to Rock Gap, got picked up by Ron Havens, and saw a doc in Franklin.

Hoping to get back on the trail in a few days ...

Read all about it in my blog at http://bit.ly/LDawg

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Pedaling Fool
04-06-2012, 19:37
Started feeling strong and started stretching out. After three days of going too fast, too far, with too few breaks, I woke up with stabbing pain in my knee.

That sounds like testosterone induced. It gets me all the time:D

Mountain Mike
04-06-2012, 19:45
Take your time & start slow. The miles will come. You have felt what happens pushing to hard & to fast. Just take it easy for now so you can finish the trail. Listen to your body! When ya get sore stop & rest, or stop for the night. Let your body build back up. The fast start will mean starting back up again slowly but there many miles to rebuild. Forget about making up lost time at this point & risk hurting yourself again & possibly end your hike. Take it a day at a time. Push but not to hard. Don't mess up a dream by being pig headed & milage oriented this early in your hike.
Congrats on the 100 mile mark. That was a big one for me on my thru. Looking forward to more of your posts.

Cookerhiker
04-06-2012, 20:55
Take your time & start slow. The miles will come. You have felt what happens pushing to hard & to fast. Just take it easy for now so you can finish the trail. Listen to your body! When ya get sore stop & rest, or stop for the night. Let your body build back up. The fast start will mean starting back up again slowly but there many miles to rebuild. Forget about making up lost time at this point & risk hurting yourself again & possibly end your hike. Take it a day at a time. Push but not to hard. Don't mess up a dream by being pig headed & milage oriented this early in your hike....

Very sound advice - for all hikers. You should post this every year.

LDog
04-06-2012, 23:29
Yup. I knew better too. Knew I should have been taking more breaks, stretching better, taking it slow. Hard to do in the rain and hall, but gonna have to do it.

Four miles a day will take me 7 days to get to the NOC:)

Sarcasm the elf
04-06-2012, 23:36
ChillyWilly, I've enjoyed your posts here for a couple of years and have been following your blog for the past couple of weeks. I wish you the best of luck and hope that the tendentious gets better soon. Keep on postin!

LDog
04-07-2012, 09:26
Thanks Elf. Several days holed up in this motel, and it's still painful to walk on. Need a breakthrough, stat!

quilteresq
04-07-2012, 09:49
Rain and hail kind of explain the desire to go too far too fast, though. I would definitely want to get to a warm place in that kind of weather! I hope you heal well.