PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Permit for Maine

TJ aka Teej
04-01-2005, 08:41
From a thread on VFTT:

LD#468
Sec. III-47. Nonconsumptive user card or permit; report.
The Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and the Commissioner of
Conservation, known in this section as "the commissioners" shall
work jointly to develop a card or permit for the purpose of
raising revenue from the nonconsumptive outdoor recreational user
base and to determine the distribution of those funds between the
Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and the Department of
Conservation.

While Maine slept, millions were spent
By Stephen Bowen
Source:
Bangor Daily News
Tuesday, 03/22/2005
Edition: all, Section: a, Page 9
"Through amendment, and without any public hearing or notice, the Democrats invented a new fee and sticker requirement for all "canoes, sailboats and kayaks," with a fine of up to $500 for noncompliance. While they were at it, the Democrats also included language to develop a "non-consumptive user permit," whereby outdoor enthusiasts such a hikers and bird-watchers would pay a fee and obtain a state permit to engage in those activities."

peter_pan
04-01-2005, 09:29
This is getting close ..... will Maine become the first state to tax the fresh air?

Pan

Rain Man
04-01-2005, 10:05
This is getting close ..... will Maine become the first state to tax the fresh air?

If so, it's following suit of the American corporation that charged citizens in a South American city for the rain falling from the sky!!!

Rain Man

tlbj6142
04-01-2005, 10:07
will Maine become the first state to tax the fresh air?Sounds like they just did.

weary
04-01-2005, 10:40
Hey guys. It was an idea that bounced around for a day or two and then died a week ago -- at least the bit about fees for canoes and kayaks. I haven't read the final budget bill that passed yesterday. So I don't know what happened to the study proposal.

But it is a fact that it costs money to buy land and manage land. If we want new places to hike and new wild areas they have to be paid for and managed and protected.

Our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is seeking to do this with the help of private purchase and stewardship funds. Quite frankly the response has been quite a bit less than overwhelming from trail sites such as WhiteBlaze and AT-L. We all make choices in this world. We should recognize that sometimes our choices lead to proposals and decisions we don't like.

Weary www.matlt.org

plodder
04-01-2005, 19:25
Colorado has an interesting hiking permit program. When I was there it was $4/year.

Frosty
04-01-2005, 19:34
Friggin' Maine. Has to be the greediest state in the US. Talk about bloated beaurocracies and self-serving no-load politicians. Second only to Florida in pork-barrel legislation. Does York County still support the rest of the state? The entire state south of Portland should secede from Maine and join NH.

"The Way Life Should Be." Pay for the right to walk.

I lived there for years and am still embarrassed by it.

Frosty, proud to have moved to NH.

weary
04-01-2005, 20:17
Friggin' Maine. Has to be the greediest state in the US. Talk about bloated beaurocracies and self-serving no-load politicians. Second only to Florida in pork-barrel legislation. Does York County still support the rest of the state? The entire state south of Portland should secede from Maine and join NH. .
Frosty. You've provided us with ignorance. Now try for some facts.

Weary

Frosty
04-01-2005, 20:36
Frosty. You've provided us with ignorance. Now try for some facts.

WearyThere is no need to call a person ignorant because they say things youy don't like. Even if there weren't a zillion and one facts to back up the corruption of the Maine State Gov't, it is still an opinion. No one is ignorant for holding an opinion different from your own.

I think there may even be a word used to describe people who call others ignorant for having an opinion that differs from their own. Perhaps you know what it is?

But you wanted facts.

I lived in Maine.I paid an income tax and a sales tax and had a high real estate tax.

I moved to NH. I now have no income tax, no sales tax, and my real estate tax is LESS on a house of comparable value.

Both states have little industry. Both basically live off tourism. The difference is in the attitude and size of the State Gov'ts. One (NH) is forever fighting to spend less money and avoid extra taxes. The size of our gov't is tiny compared to Maine, who fill more and more positions, not because they ned them, but because they collect a lot of tax money and all the legisators say, "Hey! Why not spend it on me? If I don't suck it up, so other corrupt jerk from some othe part of the state will hire HIS friends."

The northern part of the state produces almost nothing. The southern part of the state supports the north. Roads in the north are well-maintained. Towns have nice town vehicles, and many more per capita. Why is this? This is because the northern part of the state has more votes than the southern part, and "lives" off it with a bloated burocracy, and thus decide how and where the money is spent. This even though they provide almost nothing to the state coffers. The have the number of legistative votes and they abuse it to the max.

You give me some facts. The Maine Turnpike used to charge a toll based on cars using it on each section of the turnpike. The pork barrel northern legistures first changed the toll so that the southern half paid more than thier fair share. they could do this because the had the power of extra votes and didn't have the morality to acknowledge what they were doing, what is called prok barrel politics.

Now you give me a fact. Maine recently again changed the way tolls are charged. What the the corrupt legislature (living in the north) do? Tell me, Weary, how much of a toll is charged on the northern part of the Turnpike now?

weary
04-01-2005, 21:26
There is no need to call a person ignorant because they say things youy don't like. Even if there weren't a zillion and one facts to back up the corruption of the Maine State Gov't, it is still an opinion. No one is ignorant for holding an opinion different from your own.
Of course. That's why I asked for facts. I'm still waiting.

Both states have little industry. Both basically live off tourism. The difference is in the attitude and size of the State Gov'ts. One (NH) is forever fighting to spend less money and avoid extra taxes. The size of our gov't is tiny compared to Maine, who fill more and more positions, not because they ned them, but because they collect a lot of tax money and all the legisators say, "Hey! Why not spend it on me? If I don't suck it up, so other corrupt jerk from some othe part of the state will hire HIS friends."
That's an assertion. Give me some evidence.

The northern part of the state produces almost nothing. The southern part of the state supports the north. Roads in the north are well-maintained. Towns have nice town vehicles, and many more per capita. Why is this? This is because the northern part of the state has more votes than the southern part, and "lives" off it with a bloated burocracy, and thus decide how and where the money is spent. This even though they provide almost nothing to the state coffers. They have the number of legistative votes and they abuse it to the max.
I'm still waiting for facts, not talk show accusations. Traditionally the north produced the best paying jobs in Maine. That has diminished as the paper industry has declined. BTW, we are also confined to votes based on population, as prescribed by the US Supreme Court. If you have evidence that Maine has failed to comply, let me know. I'll mount a campaign, as soon as I raise enough money to pay for the mortgage our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust took out to protect Abraham and the southern slopes of Saddleback from development. Otherwise we need details.

You give me some facts. The Maine Turnpike used to charge a toll based on cars using it on each section of the turnpike. The pork barrel northern legistures first changed the toll so that the southern half paid more than thier fair share. they could do this because the had the power of extra votes and didn't have the morality to acknowledge what they were doing, what is called prok barrel politics.
I haven't done a study of the inequities of the toll highway system. But I do sense that the highest toll highway in the nation may be the 20-30 miles through New Hampshire to get to Maine. Can you tell me what, if anything the justification might be? Other than the desire to rip off tourists and businesses heading to Maine.

Now you give me a fact. Maine recently again changed the way tolls are charged. What the the corrupt legislature (living in the north) do? Tell me, Weary, how much of a toll is charged on the northern part of the Turnpike now?

See above

TJ aka Teej
04-01-2005, 22:20
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/statehouse/050327budget.shtml (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/statehouse/050327budget.shtml)

"...the proposed budget orders the state commissioners of conservation and fisheries and wildlife 'to develop a card or permit' so the state can raise money from outdoor enthusiasts who don't hunt or fish."

Frosty
04-02-2005, 00:31
I'm still waiting for facts, not talk show accusations.
Go back and read my paragraph about state income tax, state sales tax, and high real estate taxes. You already know that the State of Maine collects much more money than the State of NH and manages to spend it all despite being similarly sized and industried. You could never support your denial that Maine State Gov't is less efficient than NH.

I haven't done a study of the inequities of the toll highway system. You are evading the question when you know the answer. The state recently changed the toll system, as you well know, so that the northern part of the state pays nothing. Don't be a coward and pretend you are unaware of this fact.

I haven't done a study of the inequities of the toll highway system. But I do sense that the highest toll highway in the nation may be the 20-30 miles through New Hampshire to get to Maine. .But we weren't discussing that, were we? You had asked for a fact that showed that Maine legislators were corrupt. When presented with the fact you requested, you shift the topic of discussion.

Still, it costs a buck, to travel up I-95 through NH, although anyone can buy tokens and pay 50 cents. This is a lot less than Maine, but Maine has more miles, so perhaps it works out evenly.

But don't forget that Maine does not pay for half the upkeep of the bridges between the states, despite the fact the bridges are Maine's main connection to the outside world. As far as taxing Mass and NH residents who work at the shipyard in the river, they claim the island is in Maine. As far as paying money to maintain the bridges, they claim the entire river is in NH. Very weaselly, but it is how the Maine government operates. These are not opinions, these are the facts. I don't know what else you need. You can spin the facts, but you can't change them.

I lived in Maine for years. I know. You can bluster all you want and try to steamroll away, but you can't change what is. And what is, is that Maine collects a lot of money, more per capita than most other states. In FACT, they rank second highest:

http://governing.com/gpp/2003/gp3me.htmMaine
Maine State and local taxes as % of personal income (rank): 13.9% (2)

Standout characteristics: One of two states with highest automobile excise taxes in U.S.; high top income tax bracket is applied to relatively modest incomes.

http://www.freestateproject.org/archives/state_reports/homeownership.php
Total Property Tax Revenue by State (in millions of dollars)

Maine 2,669 m
New Hampshire 1,776 m

This in spite of the fact that property tax in NH's only real source of income. Maine has additional income and sales taxes. Where does the money go?

These two items it took me 5 seconds to find. You can find all you want to know aobut Maine's inefficiency if you open your eyes and look. Or you can close your eyes and cry, "I don't see any facts." Deny all you want. You can't change the truth.

Anyway, this whole topic is pointless. If you think that the Maine State Gov't is an example of frugality and fiscal responsibility, more power to you. All I can say is that you must be from north of Portland. If you are one of those who benefit from the corruption, I understand your vehemence in defending it. I deplore your morals, but I understand. As I said, I lived in Maine for years.

Personally, I think the State of Maine is horribly inefficient. That is my expereince and that is all the evidence I see. Just google MAINE PER CAPITA TAX and you will find all you need to know. Then google the same for NH.

plodder
04-02-2005, 18:08
Yeah, Maine's tax load sucks. Just take Freeport with you too.

weary
04-02-2005, 19:18
Frosty

Frosty. The Turnpike was begun in the 1940s. It never got north of Augusta, which is hardly the Maine north. The idea of a toll highway ended with Eisenhower's Interstate program, during the 1950s, which paid almost all of the construction costs, making a toll highway unneccessary.

But to answer your question. I drive the "northern part of the Turnpike" during bad weather and when I'm in a hurry. It costs me 60 cents for around 10, maybe 15 miles. The "northern" part runs from Gardiner to Augusta.

Much of the time, however, I take a rural route to Augusta on the east side of the Kennebec River. The time is nearly the same, but the route more scenic and the miles are less, saving both gas and tolls.

Weary

attroll
04-02-2005, 19:26
Yeah Maines biggest issue right now is this money hungry governer we have right now. I don't think he will serve a second term the way he is going.

weary
04-02-2005, 19:32
Yeah Maines biggest issue right now is this money hungry governer we have right now. I don't think he will serve a second term the way he is going.
Such comments are meaningless. Tell us what proposals the governor has suggested that you don't like. Medical care for kids? A bond issue to rescue some of the land being sold to developers? Increased state school aid in response to a voter-approved referendum? Snow plowing? Clean air? Clean water?

Weary

Frosty
04-02-2005, 19:55
Such comments are meaningless. Tell us what proposals the governor has suggested that you don't like.
WearyProvide them in writing, in triplicate, via registered mail on 24# bond paper, black ink only, to the addresses found in Appendix A. All submittals must be postmarked within two days of demand for documentation of opinions. All comments and opinions are the property of Weary-foot. Non-conforming and non-standard opinions will be destroyed. Weary-foot reserves the right to dispose of all comments not fully supportive of Maine's government, and those who post otherwise will be banned from this site without notice. For a complete list of authorized opinions and comments refer to........

I surely know now why people call you Weary.

weary
04-02-2005, 20:06
Provide them in writing, in triplicate, via registered mail on 24# bond paper, black ink only, to the addresses found in Appendix A. All submittals must be postmarked within two days of demand for documentation of opinions. All comments and opinions are the property of Weary-foot. Non-conforming and non-standard opinions will be destroyed. Weary-foot reserves the right to dispose of all comments not fully supportive of Maine's government, and those who post otherwise will be banned from this site without notice. For a complete list of authorized opinions and comments refer to........I surely know now why people call you Weary.
Ah. Frosty. You've been caught again writing nonsense and are responding with babble in hopes no one will notice.

Weary

Moxie00
04-02-2005, 22:16
Two beauties have recently shown up in Maine to bring in a little money. Both are endorsed by our ghost commissioner of fish and wildlife, George Smith and our governor. The first is Sunday hunting. If passed that will bring in $3.00 per hunting license extra. That was killed by landowners, hikers, and parents who want one day when they can walk in the woods, let the kids out to play, and not worry about their dogs and ponys being shot. The second proposal was a $10 sticker to be placed on all non motorized watercraft. This included row boats, kayaks, canoes, and small sail boats. This was called, a tax against exercise and recreation. Smith, who is actually the head of the largest hunting group in Maine was anle to convince the governor that kayaks used State boat launch sites so they should be taxed, The launch sites are lerge areas with cement ramps the extend past the low water mark and are designed to launch huge power boats. Every kayak and canoe user I know simply takes his or her watercraft off the roof rack and carries it to the water and never uses the cement ramp. They certainly do not use the huge parking spaces designed for a truck and trailer. The money from this beauty was to be used to hire two bilogists who would further mess up our lakes and streams. This proposal would have crippled our recreational boat industry in western Maine, our poverty belt, and has been dropped. They also proposed charging hikers that used the trails near Baxter School. This govonor is shooting at the wrong target, muscle powered recreation. The Sunday hunt would discourage hikers and the kayak tax would cripple the paddle industry. If Maine needs money for the Fish and Wildlife I wish the would put a 10% surcharge on bullets and fish bait. The hiker and kayaker require no service from the State and should not be taxed to use the lakes, woods and mountains God put there.TJ aka teej said these were Democratic proposals. Actually Smith is behind them and he is a very conservative Republican who lives in my home town. I served as a Selectman with him and politically he is just right of Atilla The Hun. The govonor is a Democrat and he is faced with a $ crisis and will raise money any way he can. Smith simply doesn't want to see the "hook and bullet" group pay their fair share.
:sun

attroll
04-02-2005, 22:36
And another thing you forgot to mention Moxie00. He wanted to take away opening day deer hunting for Maine residence and let out of state hunters hunt opening day also. Well that was one thing that ticked me off. Why couldn't they leave it as it is and give us one day for just Maine residence. What is he going to do take away our right to vote next.

weary
04-02-2005, 23:20
And another thing you forgot to mention Moxie00. He wanted to take away opening day deer hunting for Maine residence and let out of state hunters hunt opening day also. Well that was one thing that ticked me off. Why couldn't they leave it as it is and give us one day for just Maine residence. What is he going to do take away our right to vote next.
Our Governor came into office, having campaigned on a no new taxes platform, facing massive deficits in budgets that his very popular predecessor had said, "I've looked and looked and I haven't found anything to cut," or words to that effect.

Frankly, I haven't paid a great deal of attention, because my two land trusts have had major campaigns going on and there is only so much one person can do. I'm trying to cut back, not add more responsibilities.

But I've been around politics and government enough to know that 25% deficits are not easily dealt with. So far Gov. Baldacci has managed to fulfill his pledges and keep the government running. In the process all kinds of proposals have been considered and reported on in the press -- and abandoned.

POliticians should be judged on what they do, not those things they have considered and rejected. One reason we have incompetent government at all levels in this nation is that most Americans are lazy. It's easy to criticize; hard work to seriously analyze realistic alternatives.

The fact of the matter is that George Smith, competent or not, controls a big enough voting block to control the balance of power in the Legislature. Only rarely does the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine lose on major issues.

A governor that ignores SAM won't accomplish anything. I only wish the environmental/land protection community had that power.

I asked a few questions because that is what I've done best over the decades and I wanted to know if the critics had any idea about what they were talking about. The answer seems to be no. At least no one has offered any insights into alternatives as yet.

Weary

DLANOIE
04-02-2005, 23:38
I flat out despise our Govenor Balldacci. I sure as hell didn't vote for the greedy bastard! :mad:

What really makes me laugh is that Maine is "borrowing" over 12 million dollars to pay off its increasing debt???!!! How much sense does that make Gov.? :datz

I too lived in NH for 13 years. I hiked all 48 four-thousand footer's in the White Mnts.. They have posts to slip $3.00 into as a fee for parking, but the WMNF allows you to purchase a year-round pass for around $20.

weary
04-03-2005, 21:05
I flat out despise our Govenor Balldacci. I sure as hell didn't vote for the greedy bastard! :mad: What really makes me laugh is that Maine is "borrowing" over 12 million dollars to pay off its increasing debt???!!! How much sense does that make Gov.? :datz
I too lived in NH for 13 years. I hiked all 48 four-thousand footer's in the White Mnts.. They have posts to slip $3.00 into as a fee for parking, but the WMNF allows you to purchase a year-round pass for around $20.
Maine and New Hampshire are totally different states. For one thing New Hampshire has nearly 800,000 acres of national forest totally paid for by the federal government that are the playground for much of the Northeast. These public lands provide 10s of thousands of jobs and a booming tourist economy.

Growing up in the 1930s I spent my summers in New Hampshire, not Maine (vacationland) because of this immense public resource.

Sadly, Maine, thanks to the propaganda and political power of the paper companies, rejected a similar National Forest in the 1930s. But that can hardly be blamed on Governor Baldacci, who hadn't been born in the 30s.

The paper companies have now largely abandoned Maine. No paper company land now abuts the trail corridor in Maine. The paper companies have sold it all to land speculators and developers. First Gov. King and now Gov. Baldacci are trying to protect some of the wildness that makes the trail unique in Maine.

Those who oppose these efforts, while professing to love the trail, should perhaps tell us why.

REcognizing that many on this and other "AT" lists are more talk than action, a few of us have created the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. Our goal is to redress the 70-year-old mistakes that rejected National Forests in Maine. Our goal is to protect at least a bit of the narrow corridor that wraps through these narrow trail corridors.

Quite frankly, Dlanote, I suspect very few of the 4,000-footers had posts that one could "slip $3 in." At least I never saw many. But regardless, no amount of $3 contributions are likely to meet the needs for wider buffers for the trail in Maine. Our land trust needs the support of all who love the trail.

We welcome your participation.

Weary www.matlt.org.

TJ aka Teej
04-06-2005, 19:03
April 6th Bangor Daily News in favor of fees for hikers and paddlers:

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=111584

"ME & U"
04-06-2005, 19:43
Funny!:clap :clap :clap

While you guys are head bashing each other:datz I got to thinking that wow! What a great world we live in... bash the snot out of each other, then go away none the less better off than when we started. Sounds like a typical New England thought process and figured what the hey... I'll take some of that to go...

weary
04-06-2005, 19:51
Funny!:clap :clap :clap

While you guys are head bashing each other:datz I got to thinking that wow! What a great world we live in... bash the snot out of each other, then go away none the less better off than when we started. Sounds like a typical New England thought process and figured what the hey... I'll take some of that to go...
I'm not sure what this post is saying. If anyone has a clue, let me know.

Weary

"ME & U"
04-06-2005, 19:56
I'm not sure what this post is saying. If anyone has a clue, let me know.

Weary just reading the thread... thought it was funny

Frosty
04-06-2005, 20:21
just reading the thread... thought it was funnyThat's okay because you are in Mass. The Maine hiking permit does not cover laughing. That is a different permit. Would you like a smiling permit, or do you want to go all out and pay extra for the belly laugh permit? It covers everything up to but not including guffaws.

"ME & U"
04-06-2005, 20:57
That's okay because you are in Mass. The Maine hiking permit does not cover laughing. That is a different permit. Would you like a smiling permit, or do you want to go all out and pay extra for the belly laugh permit? It covers everything up to but not including guffaws....and here i thought I was screwed cuz I live in MA:)
"Wit makes it's own welcome and levels all distintions"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

attroll
04-07-2005, 00:56
wbdent After reading that article TJ put in his post. I had a good laugh and got pissed a the same time. What has the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife done in the past for us regarding any of these things that are try to pass? I have seen four wheelers in places that they are not supposed to be. But they do not enforce the laws regarding them. The four wheelers are becoming a very big problem in Maine. What is taxing kayaks and canoes going to do? They do very little and are environmentally safe. Next they will make you register an inner tube if you want to float around the lake with it. What have they done for hiking trails and things of that sort? Since when does the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife maintain trail and things of that sort? When is the last time you saw a game warden when you were out hiking, biking or kayaking. It seems to me that they should be raising the taxes on the problem areas and not trying to find new taxes that have nothing to do with the problem areas. They should raise the registration on four wheelers, motorized boats and out of staters hunting licenses. They wouldn’t want to do that they would rather take away or one and only hunting day that us Mainers get to hunt with out any out of staters hunting that day and let them hunt too.

Who is the idiot that wrote this article? Here is what he wrote:

Those who can afford and own a $1,000 kayak, $100 paddle, $75 personal flotation device and other associated equipment should consider it a privilege to live in and be able to experience a state that draws millions of people to it each year for exactly the activities that they enjoy.
wbdent So it took me a while to save up for my Kayak and I din not pay $1,000 for the kayak and $100 for paddle and $75 for a floatation deice. Maybe he thinks everyone is made of money or that is what he paid for his. I got all the things listed above for under $800. I also do consider it a privilege to live and be able do this in the state of Maine. But once you start taxing for this it is not longer a privilege. In my opinion a privilege is not something that is taxable. If it draws millions of people each year the activities we enjoy then maybe we should take just the out of staters. It would be a privilege is us Mainers did not get taxed. Now that is what a privilege is. They complain because people around the world are getting lazy and fat and do not get out and do things like they use to for exercise. Well why should we your going to tax us for doing what exercise we enjoy doing.

wbdent If this passes you will have wardens on the waterways giving out tickets to kayaker and canoe’s because they are not registered. But they will not do a damn thing about the speed boat that just went by going at an unsafe speed. You know why. Because it is easier to snag a kayak or a canoe rather then a motorized boat. The wardens need to get off there ass and enforce the law other then just checking registrations. Here is a prime example. As some of you may not know I am a avid snowmobiler. I do a lot here in Maine during the winter. In certain areas during the winter the wardens set of blocks in the trail to check registration to make sure your sled is registered. I can understand that. But they are always there. You know they are going to be there is you are an avid snowmobiler like me. So here is a waist of our tax payers dollars. They would rather sit on there fat asses and stop snowmobilers to check registrations when they should be further up the trail checking for the snowmobilers that are riding on the trails in an unsafe manner. Then maybe we would have less accidents and fatalities. That would be the same as closing off exit 27 on the Maine turnpike every Saturday from 8 am to 2 pm to and checking everyone’s driver license and registration that came on or off the exit on the turnpike.

wbdent I have said enough. I get more ticked off the more I hear about this. This really chaps my ass.

weary
04-07-2005, 08:37
**** After reading that article TJ put in his post. I had a good laugh and got pissed a the same time. What has the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife done in the past .....Who is the idiot that wrote this article? Here is what he wrote:
Remember the article was what newspapers call an "op-ed" piece, space generally reserved for articles that oppose a paper's editorial positions. It's part of an informal "fairness" doctrine that most papers pay at least lip service to.

As for the writer. I've been fairly active in such matters for years and I've never heard of the guy or his organization.

And don't worry about the article having any influence at least this year. The idea has long since been rejected and the budget passed.

Finally, about the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Many of us hunt and fish as well as hike. I think overall they do a good job. They also run the non-game species program that brought back the bald eagle, and protects other rare and endangered creatures that us walkers like to observe when we are on the trails, and while we are canoeing and kayaking.

The mere fact that they bought the island I see across the bay and marsh from my $2,950 house (1962 price) makes me think the department does some things well. The island is one of the most productive eagle nesting sites in Maine.

Eagles were common around here in the 30's and early 40s and then disappeared. Somehow, I find it heartening that they have returned and are more prevalent than they have been in my lifetime. Just the sight a couple of days ago of two adult bald eagles sitting on an ice flow was worth 10 bucks to me. YMMV.

Someone has to contribute the money for the non game things the department does. I see no reason why hunting and fishing license sales should bear the total burden. Wildlife is more than deer, moose, waterfowl and turkeys.

In fact a few of us do contribute. Our town land trust spent around $7,000 dollars last year for appraisal work on a large fresh water tidal marsh on behalf of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. There were federal and left over state funds to purchase the marsh and the owner was willing to sell. There just wasn't any money for the preliminaries. The department closed last month on a spectacular wild areas.

Weary

walkin' wally
04-07-2005, 18:16
The whole game warden thing, I think, is a big mess and has been for quite a while. I think they are spread too thin to be effective. It comes back to budgets and politics, general funds, and department revenues.

I hate politics and I don't pretend to understand it. It is a shame though when whoever's party ideology gets in the way of preserving land before it is too late. The Land for Maine's Future program for example. These people claim to care about Maine.