PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions/Advice on 3-day hike to finish GA

mumblez82
04-06-2012, 23:34
My father and I are going to be on the AT in a couple weeks and are trying to nail down where exactly we are going to start and end our hike.

We have already hiked Springer to Unicoi Gap and are planning on finishing Georgia. He has hiked Tray Mtn to Dicks Creek Gap but I have not. I wouldn't mind hiking that section but it's not a dealbreaker.

Our big dispute is over how much mileage we want to do in the 3 days.

His hike: Day 1- Dicks Creek Gap to Muskrat Creek Shelter (12 miles)
Day 2- Muskrat Creek Shelter to Carter Gap Shelter (11.5 miles)
Day 3- Carter Gap Shelter to Winding Stair Gap (U.S. 64) (16 miles)

My Hike: Day 1- Tray Gap (USFS 79) to Deep Gap Shelter (9 miles)
Day 2- Deep Gap Shelter to Plumorchard Gap Shelter (8 miles)
Day 3- Plumorchard Gap Shelter to Deep Gap (USFS 71) (11 miles)

I feel like his is a little overly ambitious and he doesn't want to do Tray mountain again.

What do you guys think? I am open to any suggestions or other plans for the three day hike that you may have. When we did Springer to Neels Gap over 3 days a couple years ago it was quite difficult in my opinion (8 miles first day, 12 the second and 10 the third).

Thanks in advance!

max patch
04-07-2012, 09:36
[QUOTE=mumblez82;1275336
What do you guys think? I am open to any suggestions or other plans for the three day hike that you may have. When we did Springer to Neels Gap over 3 days a couple years ago it was quite difficult in my opinion (8 miles first day, 12 the second and 10 the third).

[/QUOTE]

Given this statement your hike makes the most sense; that 16 mile day won't be fun for you. If you are hiking to your car when you get to Deep Gap you dad can hike the 3.5 mile Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground and you drive there and pick him up.