PDA

View Full Version : Socks, Shoes, and Pack Weight

YerbaJon
04-01-2005, 11:12
Nothing is as hard on my feet as playing Basketball. I quested for a sock that would pull the moisture off of my feet and keep my feet from experiencing friction. Those on this forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2050) and others that have settled on the "perfect" sock tend to break down into three basic categories:

1) Thicker Wool/Wool Blend over liner
2) Thinner synthetic over liner
3) Sock alone

There are, of course, more options than the above. Still, the above two (err...three) are replete in writing with the most impassioned arguments and the greatest number of "followers".

My personal biases:
Like WickedLobster and SingleTrack, I wear a coolmax sock with a built in coolmax liner (70% coolmax, 30% nylon; Wright Sock: Coolmesh 'Double Layer': patented anti-blister system: 8$). I hike with two pairs; hike in one while cleaning the other: each night I wash them and carry them in my pocket to dry them if needed. I do not know of a more durable sock than this; I imagine the brands suggested by WickedLobster and SingleTrack are of equal durability or perhaps even better (Injinji Toe Socks & Ingenious Socks); Smooth03 reported that just a liner (ie., not a double layer like I use) lasted over 700 miles. Double Layer/Built in Liner socks will last longer (unless you don't cut your toenails or if your shoes eat socks; under those conditions any sock will fail).

I hike in carbon soled gore-tex trail running shoes, I carry a maximum of 38lbs when I have 8 days worth of food (23% of my body weight). My pack is often below 30lbs. This biases me, perhaps my foot situation is different than those that find wool/wool blend socks with or without liner to be a better choice.

My Question:
Do those that are passionate about wool socks generally wear boots? Anyone out there having success with a built-in-liner coolmax sock with boots?
Would people wearing a heavier pack be better served with wool/wool blend/or synthetic wool like thicker sock?
Does the wool/wool-blend/thicker sock provide a noticable cushioning?
For those that hiked with constant blister problems, what was the sock type/shoe/boot type combination that you were using? Also, what weight pack were you carrying? Any ultra-liters with serious blister problems?

Feet are pretty important on the trail. Socks are part of the equation. I imagine there are benefits to choosing different socks for different feet. Looking forward to everyones input.

The Solemates
04-01-2005, 11:36
As long as they dont bunch up and arent too hot, I could care less about socks. I just buy synthetic blends cheapos. I wear lightweight trailrunners to hike in.

Whistler
04-01-2005, 12:45
As long as they dont bunch up and arent too hot, I could care less about socks.
I'm going to agree with this. I use trailrunners, and I've had normal experiences with Wigwam Ultimax, Wrightsock, Under Armor, and cheapo nylon dress socks. Right now I'm happy with thin Smartwools, like the RBX and Adrenaline lines. Common characteristics for mine are: relatively thin; trim fit; not too hot; non-bulky seams. Other than that, it hasn't made a huge difference for me.

As far as cushioning goes, I think quality insoles will help you more than nice socks will.
-Mark

MOWGLI
04-01-2005, 13:19
Those on this forum and others that have settled on the "perfect" sock tend to break down into two basic categories:

1) Thicker Wool/Wool Blend over liner
2) Thinner synthetic over liner

There is a third category. Many hikers use no liners at all. I fall in that category.

Footslogger
04-01-2005, 13:27
There is a third category. Many hikers use no liners at all. I fall in that category.=========================================
I joined this category during my thru in 2003. Started off with REI Merino Wool (Smart Wool knock-offs) hiking socks and coolmax liners ...and I was wearing boots. I switched in Damascus to trail shoes and went with Thorlo Coolmax Light Hikers and lost the liners. Hiked in that type of sock the rest of the way to Katahdin.

You're gonna get a lot of opinions here but the most important thing is YOUR comfort. As was stated in the opening post on this thread ...feet are important. It's worth the time and expense to experiment with different combinations to see what works best for you. Just know that during a thru-hike your likes/dislikes in terms of footwear/socks may change.

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Solemates
04-01-2005, 13:44
There is a third category. Many hikers use no liners at all. I fall in that category.

yea ive never worn liners under another sock. ive worn only liners, but never more than 1 pair of socks.

Oracle
04-01-2005, 14:23
I tried wearing liners for a while, and it hasn't worked out for me very well. So, I've switched back to just wearing Thorlos. They're expensive (although a little cheaper than Smartwool, usually), but they work, at least, for me.

YerbaJon
04-01-2005, 14:34
I changed the original post to include some of the comments about not using a liner and other sock matierals. I have included a new follow up with question asking to hear from people who have experienced blister problems.

Doctari
04-01-2005, 14:52
I wear wool, don't own any other type of socks except for a few dress socks my wife bought me. Have a pair of wool socks on as we speak. So for me it's a no brainer, I wear wool socks on or off the trail.

I joined the "no liner socks club" when I experemented: found out I got the same amount of blisters with and without liners.

Same trail conditions, similar weight, same boots. Sometimes I got blisters, some times not, same proportion with & without liners.

Doctari.

"ME & U"
04-01-2005, 15:44
Here's a thought to try. I would agree that socks are a pain in the feet! Too many to choose from and way too expensive!
On our thru hike "ME & I" used rubbing alcohol. We each carried a 6 oz bottle for the refill issue and had a foot bath every night before crashing. This stuff is awesome. It feels great, especially when she does it, kills odor, toughens the treads, and in a pinch, you can toss some in your stove. The weight issue plays a role as far as being a liquid but we forwent soap, tossed the moleskin, and were thrilled to find wintergreen flavor in the south.
Ever try an alcohol bath? Elders do it and it actually works.

Oracle
04-01-2005, 16:01
For "foot treatment" I use Gold Bond powder. Just put the powder in a large ziplock bag, and when you need to use it, put your foot in the ziplock bag, hold the top of the bag closed around your foot (to avoid getting powder everywhere) and shake it around to coat your foot with the powder. Then remove your foot and put on your sock (I usually do this right before changing socks, so I put on a fresh sock after powdering up my feet). Works very well for me, and keeps me from getting athletes foot or other assorted foot funk.

Peaks
04-01-2005, 16:37
The boot experts recommend any good hiking sock will do. There are plenty of good brands out there. They say that a liner is not needed with good hiking socks.

My advice is that if in doubt, then use liners. Further, if your boots get a little tight, you can always omit the liner. Now, once your feet are conditioned to hiking, it's almost irrelevatant what you wear for socks.

YerbaJon
04-01-2005, 16:43
"ME & I" used rubbing alcohol. ...this stuff is awesome. It feels great, especially when she does it, kills odor, toughens the treads, and in a pinch, you can toss some in your stove. Ever try an alcohol bath? Elders do it and it actually works.
Have to agree with you "U"; my wife and I take nightly warm water/alcohol/bandana baths.