PDA

View Full Version : Knorr Pasta Sides - adjustment for FBC - cheap add on at 50 cent meals

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2012, 13:55
Take a Knorr Side (Originally Lipton) and open into a mix bowl Add two tablespoons of Nido and a dash of butter buds and cayenne. Divide into two cups or glad bags.

In camp boil a 3/4 cup of water per bag over a alcohol stove. Pour in the bag and stuff in the cozy - the recommended 1 cup is too watery as we are not cooking the noodles on the stove for several minutes.

Knorr decided to listen and reduce the ludicrous amounts of salt in their products by 25%

Nido smooths it out and the cayenne adds a hoot.

RWheeler
04-07-2012, 13:58
I also like to split half a package of instant mashed potatoes into some of them. Takes care of the "too much water" issue I've seen, is bonus calories, and seems to make the flavors a little more pronounced.

rocketsocks
04-07-2012, 14:58
Ok,I gotta ask....What is NIDO?:o

RWheeler
04-07-2012, 15:01
Nido is powdered milk, it's from Nestle.

rocketsocks
04-07-2012, 15:19
Nido is powdered milk, it's from Nestle.Thanks Wheeler,never heard of it before.

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2012, 15:48
Yea it WHOLE milk - all stores carry dry nonfat as its a byproduct of chocolate making. Mexico prefers whole so Nestle found a nitch market - to get whole milk into parts of the back country...

I have no idea why stores carry all that nonfat dry milk - it doesn't make for good home storage.

Nido is found in the ethic diverse isle at Walmart Superstores...

rocketsocks
04-07-2012, 16:32
Yea it WHOLE milk - all stores carry dry nonfat as its a byproduct of chocolate making. Mexico prefers whole so Nestle found a niche market - to get whole milk into parts of the back country...

I have no idea why stores carry all that nonfat dry milk - it doesn't make for good home storage.

Nido is found in the ethic diverse isle at Wal-Mart Superstores...That section and store is the only place I can find "Bean Dip"Fritos in 5 miles.

atraildreamer
04-07-2012, 16:39
Yea it WHOLE milk - all stores carry dry nonfat as its a byproduct of chocolate making. Mexico prefers whole so Nestle found a nitch market - to get whole milk into parts of the back country...

Nido is found in the ethic diverse isle at Walmart Superstores...

Ditto on the ethnic food section of most major supermarkets in the NE. Also, try Hispanic markets in your area.

Odd Man Out
04-07-2012, 17:05
Ditto on the ethnic food section of most major supermarkets in the NE. Also, try Hispanic markets in your area.

How about along the AT?

WingedMonkey
04-07-2012, 19:16
The production of non-fat dried milk is huge in this country, now about 880,000 metric tons. The USDA has been buying non-fat dried milk for years through the "Commodity Credit Corporation" to help control the dairy market, (or at least they try) and passes it on to numerous institutions. It is also used in countless commercial food factories and bakeries.

Shelf life for un-opened non-fat dried milk is at least 18 months, you might get two years before stale flavors begin to develop if keep cool enough. We rotate it through our hurricane supply and most Mormons keep a large supply always on hand.
Full fat milk like NIDO has more calories and a richer taste but doesn't store as long and gets off taste a lot sooner after opening. Make sure you check dates when you can find it on the trail.

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2012, 20:04
Thanks WM...................

russb
04-07-2012, 20:09
If you cannot find a hispanic store/section and thus no NIDO, try in an oriental store and look for KLIM. It is also by Nestle. One last thing, be sure the NIDO you get is not the infant formula.

swammie
04-07-2012, 20:12
Mom worked last night, so my son and I did this with Spanish Rice last night. Added summer sausage and he proclaimed it to be the best dinner he could have at a campout. Look out Scouts!