PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a large grove of white birch trees?

jrnj5k
04-07-2012, 17:41
I am looking to make a large panoramic picture of a large grove of white birches. Does anyone know where I can find one in the North East?

Slo-go'en
04-07-2012, 18:01
The world famous Shelburn birches in near-by Shelburn, NH on RT 2 a few miles from the AT where it crosses the road.

Actually, it got thinned out some because of ice storm damage a while back, but it's still a pretty good size stand of Briches.

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2012, 20:02
They are one of the trees that are used in the Poconos to hide the slate slag heaps left over tailing of coal mining... Centrailia for example.

DLANOIE
04-07-2012, 22:42
The world famous Shelburn birches in near-by Shelburn, NH on RT 2 a few miles from the AT where it crosses the road.

Actually, it got thinned out some because of ice storm damage a while back, but it's still a pretty good size stand of Briches.

I was also going to suggest Shelburne Birches in NH just east of Gorham NH.:D

I have had a few picnic lunches there and it would be worth checking out.

peakbagger
04-08-2012, 07:09
If you are willing to hike, about the most impressive grove of mature white briches in the whites is along the abandoned fire wardens trail goin up Mt Hale. The canopy is so dense with birch leaves that about the only thing that grows are frems and hobblebush. White Briches are no long lived trees but these a particularly nice specimens.

The Shelburn White Birches are getting past maturity and are starting to die off. The town is trying to regenerate the area but its goign to take a few decades.

Sandy Currie
04-08-2012, 08:10
ON I-95 from Bangor to Lincoln is a beautiful grove of white birches you can view from the highway.

veteran
04-08-2012, 15:49
http://www.rockymtnrefl.com/birchforest.jpg

Heald
04-08-2012, 20:10
There is one on the North side of North Crocker mountain on the Appalachian Trail in Maine, unless a trail reroute has diverted the trail around it.

Tom Murphy
04-09-2012, 12:07
White Wall near Zealand Notch

Engine Hill near Isolation

Fire Warden Trail from Little River to Mt Hale

The oldestand largest birch tress I have seen are along the Flat Mountain Trail in Sandwich but they are isolated trees, not groves anymore.