PDA

View Full Version : TT Notch vs TT Moment

Praha4
04-07-2012, 18:51
Franco or someone else please offer some advice. I already own the Moment, and I like it. But now I'm trying to decide if the Notch is worth buying. Anyone here seen or used both of them that could comment on the pros and cons of both, compared to each other? As I see it, the Notch is about the same overall footprint as the Moment, except with the Notch you can use 2 hiking poles for setup instead of carrying the poles for the Moment setup. The Notch needs 2 extra tent stakes too. But the inside looks very similar, a few differences in the venting features. The Notch also offers the ability to separate the fly from the tub/netting, so I guess that gives you some extra flexibility with the Notch.

So I'm wondering if its worth spending the money to buy the Notch, just to save a few ounces over the Moment? anyone else see any differences between the 2 Tarptents, and which they like better?

tia

genreviam
04-08-2012, 09:19
I have both. I used the Moment on my JMT thru hike last year, and decided to give the Notch a try this year on the CT and HST.
Pros: Lighter: my Notch is 26 oz (INCLUDING stakes, carry bags, and seamsealing).
Two vestibules. One for my gear and one for me!
Double wall construction. The inner mesh fully encompasses the interior, and the outer fly sits far enough away from the inner mesh that I won't brush against it.
Better ventilation, so hopefully easier condensation management. My only issue with the Moment on the 30 nights I used it last year was 2-3 nights where I had significant condensation. It doesn't drip on the interior of the tent, but it does drip when I wipe down the walls or brush against the sides.
Cons: The Moment is ridiculously easy to setup. The Notch is still easy to setup, but not as easy as the Moment. My first setup with the Notch took 2.5 minutes.
The Notch is narrower than the Moment (side to side).

I was very happy with the Moment, but for me, the features of the Notch were enough to make me want to give it a try.
I have not had the Notch out on the trail yet, so I can't comment with any actual experience... and I have to admit to being a gear junkie. I sold my Tarptent Contrail, a REI Chrysalis tent and my Neoair pad to fund this years gear!

Randy

BradMT
04-08-2012, 13:09
The condensation issues any single wall/waterproof tarp/tent has would lead me to the Notch... looks like a great design IMO. I had a Rainbow but sold it due to excessive condensation. I believe the Notch will be my next TT purchase.

Beautifully crafted and thoughtfully designed products, made in the USA!