PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to keep your brain entertained?

Ender
04-01-2005, 12:00
So, another post got me thinking...

What do you do to occupy your brain while hiking? I often just think about what's on my mind while I hike on auto pilot, enjoying the view, etc etc etc... But things I do to keep my brain entertained are things like memorizing poems, figuring out my speed (mph), trying to figure out when I'll get to the next waypoint down to the minute, coming up with short stories in my head to write down at camp... That's all I can think up right now, but I'm sure there's lots more.

Ender

Kerosene
04-01-2005, 13:30
My brain occupies itself...with a incredible variety of stuff, most of which is less than valuable. Let's see, I wonder why that muscle/tendon/joint is hurting, I do math problems in my head (usually based on walking speed), I compose incredible triumphant symphonies that I always forget when I get back to my piano, I try to etch that last view into my memory, I wonder why all the birds just got quiet, I count my steps for a tenth of a mile, I try to make sure that I won't run out of food or water, and on, and on, and on.

The Solemates
04-01-2005, 13:42
I usually think about life. Life up to this point, memories, and my future, including goals and dreams. Id say all this occupies 75% of the time. The other 25% is useless stuff like how I could landscape my yard or how I could renovate a house or how I want to open my own gym or how I could pull a good investment.

Mags
04-01-2005, 14:06
When I go on long hikes, my brain goes in this almost Zen like state at times. I do not think - I just am. That happens when I am "in the zone". I just enjoy the views, the moments, the feelings of where I am. Many people in this town go through many hours of some new age crap to get that kind of feeling; some of us just go walking. :)

Other times I do mental housekeeing; thinking of thoughts and events I haven't thought of in a long time. Past relationships, where I want to head in life, friends I miss.

Other time I hav silly thoughts: Hiking through the Mojave, had Bon Jovi stuck in my head due to another hiker. Yeeeech!

I love it all...and I miss it all.

Doctari
04-01-2005, 14:08
I carry a PVC flute, I can play it while walking as long as the trail is fairly smooth & either level or a moderate up hill. Down hill causes me to intermitently blow too hard, sounds really funny, :jump so I have to stop.

I also: read my quotes, write in my journal, read previous entrys in my journal, stuff like that.

I didn't do much of anything like that last trip. Brain rot set in, I got terminally homesick. Sigh! Another lesson learned the hard way. Doing a long trip on the AT is mostly a mental thing, you must do something to keep your spirits & mental ability up. I know that, but sometimes I forget.

So I: Updated my quotes from 2 pages to 4. Put a "daily thought/quote" on each page of my journal so I can't help but read something each day. Added songs (25 as opposed to 16) to my flute sheet music and commited a few more songs to memory. Found a "cure" for the homesickness; I shall write a love letter to my wife DAILY, and mail all at each town stop (in one envelope).

Hopefully all of this will help. and the weight is about 0.5 Oz (plus the flute).

Doctari.

Footslogger
04-01-2005, 14:09
[QUOTE=Mags]When I go on long hikes, my brain goes in this almost Zen like state at times. I do not think - I just am.[QUOTE]
======================================
That pretty much sums it up for me too. On rare occasion I will hold a thought on a specific topic and try to "think it through", but for the most part my mind is a total blank and it's just going along for the hike.

'Slogger

Loafer
04-01-2005, 14:10
I daydream quite a bit about many things. I often completely lose track of time. The miles tend to fly by that way.

MOWGLI
04-01-2005, 14:35
My mind goes 1,000,000 MPH out on the trail.

Then again, there are times when I'm in a zombie like state on the trail. That usually affects my vision somewhat. I see very little other than what is directly in front of me. That's usually a good indicator that I'm exhausted.

YerbaJon
04-01-2005, 14:42
While hiking I seek to laugh; I relish in overflowing my thoughts with joy.
I dream to spread the vibe.
I keep my actions and wants in line with my thoughts and I think clearly about whether what I do is hurtful or not.
Finally, I view anything negative as an opportunity for personal growth.

"ME & U"
04-01-2005, 15:28
While hiking I seek to laugh; I relish in overflowing my thoughts with joy.
I dream to spread the vibe.
I keep my actions and wants in line with my thoughts and I think clearly about whether what I do is hurtful or not.
Finally, I view anything negative as an opportunity for personal growth.Rock on YerbaJon!! Take a whole bunch of those kinds of peoples, toss em in a mixing bowl, fold over... don't whip, and then spread the mix on the planet man!! It would be like icing on the cake of life!
I find myself constantly thinking about "ME" She's my best friend and hiking partner and she's my secret hiding place in this world. Without her I'd be merely meat!
My other thoughts are of birds. I have bunches of pictures with me holding wild birds on our thru hike (including a humminbird) and for some freaked out reason... they are attracted to me and I them. I often wonder if somehow or some way I'll be able to control this thing and then I think if I we're able to... would it all go away?
Until then, I intend to walk silently through my scary world with "ME" by my side and that freindly "shhh, a friend of mine want's to visit"

chris
04-01-2005, 15:31
One thing you can do is to take up a social question (eg, gun rights, abortion, Iraq, logging, whatever) and choose the side that you are not one. Take this stance and make your best effort to show that it is the right one to be on. Aside from being challenging at times, you'll learn alot and might even change your mind and will gain some measure of respect for differing opinions.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2005, 15:31
Radio headphones. Like to listen to talk shows.

Smooth03
04-01-2005, 15:42
Replay Seinfeld episodes in my head.

Plan the next adventure.

Think of all the uni-sex names I can(i.e. Chris, Alex, Bobby, Lindsay, etc).

In general...day dream.

weary
04-01-2005, 16:11
We noticed!

smokymtnsteve
04-01-2005, 16:17

oh that explains it.. ;)

Lone Wolf
04-01-2005, 16:18
I love you guys.

smokymtnsteve
04-01-2005, 16:32
I love you guys.

wingfoot??? :datz

smokymtnsteve
04-01-2005, 16:33
sometimes I take my brain out and play with it :banana

Jack Tarlin
04-01-2005, 16:49
So where were you when you forgot to put it back in?

Lone Wolf
04-01-2005, 16:52
Steve smokes some good s**t.

Loafer
04-01-2005, 16:57
Steve smokes some good s**t.
Souds like he might have discovered a little "magic fungus" somewhere along the trail.

smokymtnsteve
04-01-2005, 16:57
So where were you when you forgot to put it back in?

it was a metaphor Jack..think about it. :-?

Just Jeff
04-01-2005, 16:59
I'm either on autopilot, daydreaming, or singing some stupid song I can't get out of my head (and usually don't know all the words to).

Jack Tarlin
04-01-2005, 17:02
It was just a joke Steve......think about it.

smokymtnsteve
04-01-2005, 17:05
It was just a joke Steve......think about it.

yea ..but i wasn't kidding ;)

Tractor
04-01-2005, 17:30
I figure, over time and collectively, we have mentally solved (or planned the foundation for solution) of all the worlds problems, past, present and future. The problem is we tend to forget most all of these mental nuggets by the time we have made camp for the day. Darn it. Some of us (like me) may tend to forget before we have made the next climb let alone the next camp......

I've come up with some most excellent solutions, I think.