PDA

View Full Version : Quilt Users, do you sleep directly on pad or use a sheet?

plurpimpin
04-08-2012, 12:52
I'm in the process of making a down quilt to use on my thru hike. I'm new to the world of quilts. I was wondering if other quilt users sleep directly on their pad or if they use some kind of sheet/cover? In the summer I usually don't wear long underwear to bed so I was wondering how the neo air is on bare skin? is if fine or am I going to want something on top of it? The neoair fabric is grippier than other pads I've used in the past.

Slo-go'en
04-08-2012, 13:54
I had the same question when I was thinking about using a quilt. I don't think bare skin on a neo-air would be too pleasent. I figured I'd use my silk liner.

But when push came to shove and I had to decide between a quilt and a mummy bag, I stuck with the mummy bag. I figure I can use the mummy bag as a quilt if I had to, but I can't use a quilt like a mummy bag and there wasn't a significant weight/size difference for a 30 degree rating.

leaftye
04-08-2012, 13:57
Directly on the pad if I'm backpacking. I'll bring a pad cover if I'm car camping.

Rocket Jones
04-08-2012, 14:39
I usually have a shirt and shorts on when I sleep, so no pad cover for me. If it's too warm for clothes at night, I'll pull the shirt over the pad as a cover.

T-Rx
04-08-2012, 15:17
I use a silk liner with my neoair and top quilt. In the winter the liner adds warmth and often in the summer I don't need the top quilt as the liner itself provides enough cover for sleeping.

Tinker
04-08-2012, 16:39
I've used a mummy bag as a quilt in warm weather. I wear light wool long johns and tops. Silk might be better. A bag liner is a single purpose item. You can't wear one to walk around in camp or go to the outhouse or bushes.
I'm going to buy some silk undies this year :)

ScottP
04-08-2012, 18:23
directly on pad

bigcranky
04-08-2012, 20:39
I use my mummy bag as a quilt most nights, and sleep directly on the pad. But I'm almost always wearing a shirt and shorts.

grayfox
04-08-2012, 21:16
Sooner or later you will experience an unbearably hot humid night that will turn even the most versatile sleeping system into a torture chamber. You will try everything you can think of including sleeping naked directly on the tent floor. But nothing will bring you comfort. If you are lucky you will have lots of water and a large cotton bandana to cool your skin, which will help for a while but you won't be sleeping much. That might be the night to try out your headlamp and walk a few careful miles in the dark. But do keep in mind that those nights often preceed a thunderstorm so....

I have a neoair and like to use my silk liner between me and the pad. But I found some very light poly fabric at wally world and if it is not too heavy when it's wet, and dries fast, I will make a 'fitted sheet' type cover for my pad. I think it will double as a light towel and have other uses that will make it a multi use item for me.

One good arguement for a full cover is that it will protect the pad from punctures. I use a cover of light wool on one side and light suplex nylon on the other but it is not ultralight and packs big so it gets left at home a lot. It is a bit oversize for the pad and doubles as a light sleeping bag. When I car camp and sometimes when canoe camping I take a regular sheet set and a real pillow--I know..... but it feels good.

plurpimpin
04-08-2012, 22:02
I have a neoair and like to use my silk liner between me and the pad. But I found some very light poly fabric at wally world and if it is not too heavy when it's wet, and dries fast, I will make a 'fitted sheet' type cover for my pad. I think it will double as a light towel and have other uses that will make it a multi use item for me.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I have a poly sleeping bag liner that fits perfectly over my neoair as a full cover but it weighs 8 ounces, I was thinking about trying to make a single sided cover to save alittle weight.

anybody know a good source to buy a comfortable lightweight fabric by the yard to make this out of? I was thinking maybe something along the lines of thin coolmax. I'd rather not buy a liner and chop it up because I figure that'd cost more than just the fabric.

QiWiz
04-09-2012, 08:49
Sleep directly on pad, but usually wearing something so there is a layer of clothing between skin and pad. In warmer weather would be light silk long sleeve top and bottoms, and sock liners. In winter I might have everything on I wore in camp, including insulating pants and jacket.

DaFireMedic
04-10-2012, 03:19
Directly on the pad with my base layer on, before with the Thermorest Prolite and now with the POE Route AC.

DaFireMedic
04-10-2012, 03:21
POE Elite AC (unable to edit previous post)

dla
04-10-2012, 12:03
I'm in the process of making a down quilt to use on my thru hike. I'm new to the world of quilts. I was wondering if other quilt users sleep directly on their pad or if they use some kind of sheet/cover? In the summer I usually don't wear long underwear to bed so I was wondering how the neo air is on bare skin? is if fine or am I going to want something on top of it? The neoair fabric is grippier than other pads I've used in the past.

If I were you I would carry at lightweight top of some sort cause skin on pad can get a bit icky in warm weather. I usually where a poly-pro top and bottom under my quilt.

gwb
04-21-2012, 11:39
I've used a quilt with a neo air for a few years. Wouldn't trade it for anything else with temps. above 30 F. In the summer I have slept directly on the neo, just shorts no shirt, I didn't find it to be uncomfortable. I almost always have a t shirt and shorts on when sleeping though... Just try it out for a night at home. See if the neo bothers your skin. Like Grayfox said on some hot humid summer nights nothing is going to be exactly comfortable. I do the same thing when too hot to sleep. Siesta in the hot daytime hours. walk at night

plurpimpin
04-21-2012, 22:46
I've put some more thought into this and I think I'm going to try to get by using some silkweight capilene. A sheet of some sort would be nice but it kinda defeats the point of going ultralight with a quilt and neoair.

Ashman
04-22-2012, 08:46
I like the bag liner, most of my hiker funk gets on the liner not the quilt. The liner is much easier to wash when the trip is done.

peter_pan
04-22-2012, 13:50
Directly in my hammock with an under quilt.

Pan

STICK
04-22-2012, 23:16
Directly on the pad. Of course though I am not usually right on the pad as I am wearing at least some shorts and a shirt. However, I do not find laying directly on my Neo to be uncomfortable so it is not a problem for me.