PDA

View Full Version : First timer tips for 2013 preparation

callme2z
04-08-2012, 18:44
I'm just getting out of college and i'm planning a trip for 2013. I'm think i'll start in mid-March in GA and I have most the equipment except for the pack itself. I'm in shape and i'm wondering if 20 miles a day is reasonable? And i'm saving up for the trip and i don't expect to get off the trail much, how much money should i save? can i do it with around $1000? And do i need a buddy or can i solo this with no problem? Also how much clothing should i bring? Actually a general list of items would be great. This is just my start of planning so any tips would be great, thanks!

Giantsbane
04-08-2012, 19:32
The biggest thing that has helped me for my 2013 thru prep is going on a two week long hiking trips solo. The first time I had to deal with the being alone in the woods for the first time, using some of that gear for the first time, food that turned out to not be great for hiking, the reality of carrying everything on my back for that long and just dealing with walking that far. The second time I dealt with big mile days (63 in three days), getting better food while being on a budget, dealing with extreme weather and overall just reafirming to myself that long distance hiking is something I want to do. In my opinion, there is no substitute for the experience gained from using your gear in on the trail compared to just looking at it at home.

Glimmer
04-08-2012, 20:01
Hey! 2013 done with college and indiana!? Same as me!

I've never done a thru hike, so I cant say with experience, but I have read 2000 is the minimum most can handle. On the home page, along the left hand side, there is a box titled "menu." It has a great list of resources and threads including tips for beginners, and gear.

Here are some that I have found especially helpful so far:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?176-Basic-Advice-For-Newbies
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?188-Physical-Preparations-for-Long-Distance-Hiking

I'm planning on doing a thru hike of the knobstone trail in September as preparation, which I have read is a good idea, as well.
They also say starting in peak season, like mid march, you dont need a buddy! You will make a family almost immediately who match your pace and attitude. :)

bigcranky
04-08-2012, 20:38
Here's a great list. Everything you need (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4).

20 miles per day is reasonable for someone young and in shape, but I would plan to start at 10mpd and ramp up from there. No reason to risk injury right out of the gate.

$1000 is a very, very tight budget. The vast majority of hikers could not hike the AT for twice that. Lots of threads on Whiteblaze about the real costs of a thru.

Good luck and welcome.

ScottP
04-08-2012, 21:47
I'm just getting out of college and i'm planning a trip for 2013. I'm think i'll start in mid-March in GA and I have most the equipment except for the pack itself. I'm in shape and i'm wondering if 20 miles a day is reasonable? And i'm saving up for the trip and i don't expect to get off the trail much, how much money should i save? can i do it with around $1000? And do i need a buddy or can i solo this with no problem? Also how much clothing should i bring? Actually a general list of items would be great. This is just my start of planning so any tips would be great, thanks!

if you're in shape 20 miles a day is reasonable. Both my girlfriend and I did 20+ miles on our first full day on the AT (she was just out for a week to see me off). If you can figure out efficient town/gear strategies and don't have any bad luck/injuries a 20 mile/day average is reasonable provided that you're in good shape. We were both decent NCAA athletes.

11,000+ miles of long distance hiking here. There's a lot of guys on here with way more than me too! I started 1 long hike off a NCAA wrestling season. Started most of the other long hikes from a barstool. Started one coming off reconstructive surgery and 6 months bed rest. You can make it work, no problem.

Ideally you want a minimum of $4000-$5000 (including transportation to and from the trail). You'll leak a little money on your first thru-hike figuring things out, and you'll want some extra saved up in case anything goes wrong. If you want to start with $1,000 by all means go ahead and have fun. Just don't expect to get very far.

You can solo hike np

Here's a quick little guide I posted in another thread. People seemed to like it. It's geared to someone who's in mediocre shape. If you're an athlete you can probably start with higher mileage days.

If you have 4-5 months or more and $5,000+ then go for it. Start slowly and hike within your limits. 7-10 miles a day for the first week or two, max. Take rest days when needed Then start working up from there.

Just remember KISS: keep it simple, stupid. There's no reason to carry gear (not counting food/water) in excess of 10-12 pounds, and even as low as 4-6 pounds is pretty reasonable. Skip the odds and ends and carry the basics.

You probably want to show up t (bought 1 size too large) and whatever shorts/tshirt you'd wear to go running. That's what I hike in.

Down sleeping bag/quilt, 6'x10' tarp, closed-cell foam sleeping pad, frameless backpack, cord, tent stakes. I'd buy a 35 or 40 degree sleeping bag if you're starting mid/late april. 15-25 for a mid-march start. Plan on wearing puff vest+sleeping bag for cold nights.

running shorts, T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, long sleeve tights, one 'puff' vest, raincoat, hat, 1 extra pair warm socks, 1 extra pair running socks, running shoes (non-gore tex), cotton bandanna. Puff vest, warm socks, and long sleeve pants get sent home once you pass Pearisburg, VA. Once you hit mid-PA pick up some bug netting.

canister stove, fuel canister, appx 1L titanium pot, titanium spoon, 3x 1L gatorade bottles, aqua mira

Try to hit towns in the morning, get breakfast, run your errands, and get out before dinner. Eating before you go to the grocery store to resupply is key for me--a hungry shopper is a silly shopper. Ideally buy 3-5 days of food, enough until you hit the next town. If the next town is farther away then carry more. Add up how much everything weighs. At the start bring a touch under 2 pounds/day. You'll get a feel for it. Eat some fresh veggies on your way out of town, and don't be afraid to carry a few fresh things on the trail (fruits, veggies)

Staples:
Instant (anything): oats, grits, brown rice, quinoa, tabouleh, TVP, etc. You don't need to cook instant oatmeal
Storebought sauces to make foods interesting
Olive Oil
Flatbreads, cheese, sausage, tuna/chicken packets
Dried fruit, nuts, powdered milk
Crunchy Salty snack foods (chex mix, etc.)
Snickers bars (1 per day. AND NO EATING ALL OF THEM ON DAY 1)

I run best off of a high-complex carb diet, with a bit more protein+fat in my dinners. Fats are lighter to carry, but take more time and oxygen to digest. Find what works for you.
Some candy or gatorade type stuff on climbs can be nice too.
You need complete proteins. You don't need nearly as much as most uninformed opinions tend to think.

My day planning:
Wake up, pack ASAP, 30-60 minutes hiking
Stretches and breakfast (I cook double-sized dinners and have leftovers for breakfast)
Break remainder of day up into three sections. So if you're hiking 10 miles and covered one in your warmup, each setion will be 3 miles
Hike a section, eat first lunch
Hike a section, eat second lunch
Hike a section, start dinner cooking, set up camp
Socialize +sleep

ScottP
04-08-2012, 21:49
but I have read 2000 is the minimum most can handle. On the home page, along the left hand side, there is a box titled "menu." It has a great list of resources and threads including tips for beginners, and gear.

$2,000 is with a lot of caveats (not including transportation to/from trail), and it's an old number. $3,000 is more likely now, and that's assuming that you've already thru-hiked and know how to do it cheaply.

Blissful
04-08-2012, 22:15
I'd never start in GA at 20 miles a day. Good way to wreck your knees or get a stress fracture. What's the rush?
$4,000 is a good figure for a thru. Heck of a lot cheaper than living 5 months at home.
Lots of info on the site, do a search and read articles.

on_the_GOEZ
04-09-2012, 00:16

Hey! 2013 done with college and indiana!? Same as me!

I've never done a thru hike, so I cant say with experience, but I have read 2000 is the minimum most can handle. On the home page, along the left hand side, there is a box titled "menu." It has a great list of resources and threads including tips for beginners, and gear.

Here are some that I have found especially helpful so far:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?176-Basic-Advice-For-Newbies
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?188-Physical-Preparations-for-Long-Distance-Hiking

I'm planning on doing a thru hike of the knobstone trail in September as preparation, which I have read is a good idea, as well.
They also say starting in peak season, like mid march, you dont need a buddy! You will make a family almost immediately who match your pace and attitude. :)

Greetings Fellow Hoosiers! I hope I can shed some helpful light on your upcoming adventures..

Budget: $1000 for a thru seems to be too tight. I spent about $3000 this past year and took plenty of nights in hotel, restaurants, hostels, etc. Had I refrained from most of the 'extras' while in town, I imagine I couldve spent around $2000 and walked the entire trail. That being said, you WILL want luxuries in town, especially a bed once in a while and different food in mass quantity. I promise. Which leads me to my next point..

Training: If have the opportunity, do some extended hikes alone to prepare for a long distance hike. This is necessary for many reasons: gear, food consumption predictions, mental attitude, gear, solitude, current physical condition and where you might need to get to, and gear. I stress gear because this is the number one thing I recommend to others. Starting an AT thru with gear you are comfortable carrying makes progressing along the trail considerably easier and will greatly improve your chances of going the distance. In addition, one should know what to expect in the way of alone time. Can you stand yourself without others and other distractions? It is an important question for a hike of this caliber. In 2009, I end-to-ended the Long Trail in Vermont. I did the Knobstone to prepare for that hike. These two hikes, and the others Ive done since then (Knobstone twice more, the Tecumseh trail and tons of other stuff around Bloomington) allowed me work out any quirks before arriving in Maine. I cant stress this enough. Finally, you will meet tons of people out there. You wont be completely alone.

From an earlier post:

Here's my pack after Monson, ME (dropped quite a bit, picked most back up in Waynesboro, VA - extra clothes and kitchen,)

Clothes
Sunglasses – Wal-Mart cheapos
Fleece Hat- Campmor
Bandana
Watch (Simple Timex)
Waterproof Jacket - DriDucks
Thermal Shirt (Helley Hansen Merino Wool)
Warm Layer (MontBell Down Jacket)
Shorts (Swim Trunks)
Thermal Pants (SmartWool Merino)
Socks (1 pair lightweight smartwools + 1 pair of liners)
Hiking Shoes (NewBalance MT 101)
T Shirt (Arc Teryx Synthetic T)
Hiking Poles (Leki Makalu)
Clothes Bag (JRB waterproof Stuffsack)

Sleep & Carry Gear
Backpack – ULA CDT
Pack Liner (Compacter Bag)
3 season Sleeping Bag (Warbonnet Mamba Regular)
Z-lite 3/4
JRB Hex Tarp
3' X 7' piece of Tyvek
Titanium Stakes

Kitchen
Titanium Spork
Water Carrier (1L Platy) + (GATORADE BOTTLE)
Mini Bic

Miscellaneous Gear
Razor Blade
Bobby Pin
Camera and case (Nikon CoolPix + Spare Battery, broke and replaced with disposable cameras)
Headlamp (Cyclops Atom, bought a Petzl in VT)
Map (AT 2011 SOBOer’s Guide Looseleaf)
Duct Tape (~5 ft.)
Food Bag (JRB StuffSack)
First Aid Kit (Neosporin, BandAids, Gauze, Alcohol pads)
Bug Repellant (Ben's)
Small container of Bleach for water treatment
Toothbrush (Sawed-off thing)
Spare Battery (2 Coin cell Lithium)
Carmex Chapstick
ID, Credit Card, Insurance Card, Cash

If either of you have specific questions or want to meet up sometime in Indiana to do some prep. hikes, feel free to PM me. Cheers!

Datto
04-09-2012, 11:32
Here's my list of AT thru-hiking tips:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?181-Datto-s-AT-Thru-Hiking-Tips

Datto

Studlintsean
04-09-2012, 14:26
Lots of good information.

ChinMusic
04-09-2012, 15:01

The Knobstone is AT-like in difficulty and will give you a good idea of what you are in for. The Knobstone does not have the long sustained climbs but has many areas of just going up and down 200-300 feet. The Knobstone is MUCH drier too. You need to plan for some water caching, especially in the fall.

edit: Expect more spiders than you can count in Sept

Datto
04-09-2012, 16:49
The Knobstone is AT-like in difficulty and will give you a good idea of what you are in for.

That's a great idea.

As as suggestion -- don't do the Knobstone Trail over July 4th week like I did. I about saw Elvis it was so hot and humid (of course, the heat and humidity would get you setup to see what Virginia will be like for a northbound AT thru-hiker but there's no reason to combine the difficulty of Georgia with the heat of Virginia = Knobstone Trail In July).

Datto