PDA

View Full Version : Don't go into Troutdale Va.

moldy
04-09-2012, 10:21
The only business in town was Jerry's Kitchen and outfitter. He closed about 2 weeks ago. Do not mail boxes there. There are no other stores, gas stations or cafe's of any kind. There is no public telephones and no cell service. It now just a sleepy little community of nice people who drive somewhere else to get anything. After the 4 mile round trip hike into town, I placed a little cardboard sign on the trail warning other NOBO's not to bother.

SawnieRobertson
04-09-2012, 18:30
Go right on into Troutdale if you wish. There is a first class, board certified internist at a clinic up the road from the post office. There is a very nice hostel at the Baptist Church where very nice people do all they can to help your time there. I am not far away if you need help, but my car is moving towards its last miles.~~Kinnickinic

Blissful
04-09-2012, 19:53
Aw too bad Sawnie. Your car is a classic. Glad you're back in VA :)

ATSeamstress
04-09-2012, 19:59
Sad to hear this. I have fond memories of my visit to Troutdale. I had two great meals at Jerry's, picked up my maildrop there, emailed home from his fast public computer/internet, and had a Cheerwine for the first time. The hostel provided a hot shower and a good night's sleep. Glad it is still there. Jerry gave a couple of us hikers a ride to the trailhead in the morning.

jlo
04-09-2012, 22:26
Yeah, sorry to hear about Jerry's. He had the best food. (at least really good after being on the trail :) But it's still a nice town to visit because the hostel and people at the Baptist church were super nice.

Blue Jay
04-11-2012, 14:03
The only business in town was Jerry's Kitchen and outfitter. He closed about 2 weeks ago. Do not mail boxes there. There are no other stores, gas stations or cafe's of any kind. There is no public telephones and no cell service. It now just a sleepy little community of nice people who drive somewhere else to get anything. After the 4 mile round trip hike into town, I placed a little cardboard sign on the trail warning other NOBO's not to bother.

The problem is most hikers only think about overpriced seriously Ratbag Pizza at Partnership nearby when they could have had very good southern cooking at a fraction of the price at Jerry's. Hiker traffic dropped way off last year. Just another example of hikers lowering standards. Very sad, the Hostel is still excellent and you can still get a ride the 4 miles to another great southern cooking place, unlikely most will. $18 for a pizza and drink is now what you get.

SawnieRobertson
04-11-2012, 14:50
The problem is most hikers only think about overpriced seriously Ratbag Pizza at Partnership nearby when they could have had very good southern cooking at a fraction of the price at Jerry's. Hiker traffic dropped way off last year. Just another example of hikers lowering standards. Very sad, the Hostel is still excellent and you can still get a ride the 4 miles to another great southern cooking place, unlikely most will. $18 for a pizza and drink is now what you get.

I wonder what "great southern cooking place" you are writing aout. If you are referring to Sugar Grove Diner, it was a little over eight miles "north," ut it moved to Marion a couple of years ago when its connection to certified, good water ended. Peggy has had great success at her new location, so it is doutful that she will move her restaurant ack even though good water is availale once more. Looks to me like the est answer is to utilize Troutdale's post office for a mail drop. (Guess which keyoard key is stuck. Anyone know how to fix it?)--Kinnickinic

tiptoe
04-11-2012, 15:29
SawnieRobertson: Your keyboar needs cleaning. uy a can of compressed air and try to low away the acklog of dust and debris that is preventing the key from moving.

waywardfool
04-11-2012, 19:49
^^^ tiptoe is funnay! That's the est Whitelaze post of the day...

Bronk
04-12-2012, 03:55
When I went through there the hostel was under construction, but they let you tent in the yard. The people at the church put on a huge BBQ the day we were there...they were having a building party for the hostel but it rained so no work was done...we just ate. Good people there.

waasj
04-12-2012, 08:22
Thanks for the headsup!! Is there a contact for the hostel, or is somebody usually around?

Farr Away
04-12-2012, 10:56
SawnieRobertson: Your keyboar needs cleaning. uy a can of compressed air and try to low away the acklog of dust and debris that is preventing the key from moving.

If that doesn't fix it, unplug your keyboard and carefully pop the cover off your b key. Clean as necessary.

safn1949
04-15-2012, 10:17
I wonder what "great southern cooking place" you are writing aout. If you are referring to Sugar Grove Diner, it was a little over eight miles "north," ut it moved to Marion a couple of years ago when its connection to certified, good water ended. Peggy has had great success at her new location, so it is doutful that she will move her restaurant ack even though good water is availale once more. Looks to me like the est answer is to utilize Troutdale's post office for a mail drop. (Guess which keyoard key is stuck. Anyone know how to fix it?)--Kinnickinic

Give me an address and I will send you a new usb keyboard that is collecting dust at my place,hate to see stuff go to waste.:D