PDA

View Full Version : Fingernail clippers, tweezers

rjhouser
04-09-2012, 10:43
Carry them or not? Can they be found easily in hostels? Are they worth their weight? I hate to be the UL backpacker that continuously borrows items from other hikers. I can see where they would come in handy at times but are either used frequently enough to warrant carrying them on an entire thru?

ChinMusic
04-09-2012, 10:48
Bring clippers. I would NEVER use ones at a hostel. Even the thought of that grosses me out.

Edwardo Rodriguez
04-09-2012, 11:14
I always bring both don't know when you will need them. For my part if weight is a factor I will try to find other ways to cut down my pack weight by cutting down on what items weight the most an 1/2oz here and there for me will not make that much deference at the end.

BrianLe
04-09-2012, 11:32
My 0.8 oz pocket knife has scissors and a little finger nail file thing that I've not bothered to break off. If I get them wet I can trim my nails with this pretty small scissors. But I did find a big honking clippers in one hiker box along the way on the AT, borrowed it, ran it through hot water first but then used it, cleaned it, and put it back. I wouldn't say it's common to find one, but on the AT at least you might run into them once or twice.

In any event, I wouldn't carry one, you can make do somehow.

BrianLe
04-09-2012, 11:34
One other note, even if you don't use a bounce box (which I don't), you might find yourself with one or two "gear swap" points. I.e., mailing a heavier sleeping bag home and getting a lighter one in the mail. At such a gear swap point you can mail yourself a big heavy toenail clipper and then mail it back home. I've done this on three thru-hikes; sent an electric beard trimmer too.

Odd Man Out
04-09-2012, 12:56
In my case it is either carry a fingernail clipper or crawl off the trail with an infected toe. Not an option (YMMV).

As for tweezers, my SAK has a fairly useless pair. A pointy tip tweezer would be good for tick removal. Given the Lyme Disease threat in some areas, this may be essential. Is there a good way to get ticks without a tweezer? The only other use I can think of would be for splinter removal, but I usually dig those out with a sewing needle, which I carry with some thread for sewing repairs.

Firefighter503
04-09-2012, 14:18
I carry a small set of fingernail clippers. My 3 season base weight is down to right at 10 lbs, so I figure I can afford that luxury (I hate long finger nails, and wont bite/tear them).

Blissful
04-09-2012, 14:19
I carry what I need via my small jackknife and works fine. Your nails usually get soft enough in your shoes that the scissors is adequate.

WingedMonkey
04-09-2012, 14:23
Needle nose tweezers are a part of my first aid kit.

leaftye
04-09-2012, 14:55
I carry a file and pick up clippers when I need them.

Winds
04-09-2012, 15:04
Question: Are tweezers used to actually dig the ticks out from under the skin???

I have never had a tick, but KNOW that any squeezing of them while attached is NOT good.

Odd Man Out
04-09-2012, 15:18
Question: Are tweezers used to actually dig the ticks out from under the skin???

I have never had a tick, but KNOW that any squeezing of them while attached is NOT good.

http://www.aldf.com/lyme.shtml#removal

aaronthebugbuffet
04-09-2012, 16:18
I carried my own finger nail clippers. I'm a gram weenie too so that's really saying something.

Grampie
04-10-2012, 08:45
A Swiss Army knife is the answer. Use the little sissors to cut your nails. Get a knife that includes tweesere. You will have a knife, can opener, wine bottle opener, nail file and much more in one small package. You don't know how handy a Swiss Army knife is until you carry one.

rusty bumper
04-10-2012, 08:46
I carried both on my AT hike. For me, foot maintenance including trimmed toe nails, was absolutely essential...without healthy feet, I knew I wouldn't get too far. I used the tweezers 6 times or so to safely and "thoroughly" pluck ticks from various parts of my body.

Odd Man Out
04-10-2012, 09:59
A Swiss Army knife is the answer. Use the little sissors to cut your nails. Get a knife that includes tweesere. You will have a knife, can opener, wine bottle opener, nail file and much more in one small package. You don't know how handy a Swiss Army knife is until you carry one.

I agree a SAK is great. I always have one in my pocket (Tinker). But I can't get a good toe nail clipping with SAK scissors and the tweezers have a wide tip which is not good for tick removal, so I carry all three. I guess that makes me a tool-weenie and not a gram-weenie?

garlic08
04-10-2012, 12:01
I carried my own finger nail clippers. I'm a gram weenie too so that's really saying something.

Ditto this, and tweezers are always in my first aid kit. These are about the only metal objects I carry. Tent stakes and a razor blade are the others.

turtle fast
04-10-2012, 12:14
It sounds like that the Swiss either the Wegner or Victorinox folks need to make a knife that also includes a fine tipped tweezers, and a nail clipper. I had seen a nail clipper that had a knife combo, but it was cheap import garbage.....possible knife request to our Swiss friends for a quality light as possible version incorporating several functions.

slovakiasteph
04-10-2012, 12:25
Another vote on the Swiss Army knife... I have several of the small ones with a knife, screwdriver/file, scissors, tweezers, and toothpick that I've used for over ten years, and I've always used the scissors to cut my nails.

Odd Man Out
04-10-2012, 12:51
It sounds like that the Swiss either the Wegner or Victorinox folks need to make a knife that also includes a fine tipped tweezers, and a nail clipper. I had seen a nail clipper that had a knife combo, but it was cheap import garbage.....possible knife request to our Swiss friends for a quality light as possible version incorporating several functions.

I went to their web sites and submitted the suggestion. Then I saw Wenger has a nail clipper: http://www.wengerna.com/swiss-clipper-16930
But it still has the flat tipped tweezer.

Although this might work too. http://www.wengerna.com/giant-knife-16999

Panzer1
04-10-2012, 12:57
I don't feel that the sizzors on the swiss army knife does a good enough job so I always carry a small fingernail clipper.

Although I do like the tweezers on my Swiss army knife.

Panzer

ScottP
04-10-2012, 13:22
I carry nail clippers, but no knife type tool.

turtle fast
04-10-2012, 13:56
I did not know of the Wegner Swiss Clipper that has the knife and nail clipper, etc. Having a can opener, knife, nail clipper, toothpick, fine point tweezers is probably the basic needed tool. The Wegner giant tool is ridiculous...I think its for collectors rather than any real useage!

Odd Man Out
04-10-2012, 20:28
...The Wegner giant tool is ridiculous...I think its for collectors rather than any real useage!

Yea, but it's funny. And check out the price - a real steal at $2149.95

Winds
04-10-2012, 21:59
Yea, but it's funny. And check out the price - a real steal at $2149.95

And that's the true joy here. When they got the price below $2,150 - now most of us can buy and enjoy such a neat little tool for backpacking, or just a spare for the glove compartment.

:)

Grumble
04-27-2012, 13:24
I'm a big fan of the Leatherman Micra. Knife, scissors, tweezers, and nail file all in a tiny package.

JaxHiker
04-27-2012, 14:07
I'm a big fan of the Leatherman Micra. Knife, scissors, tweezers, and nail file all in a tiny package.

I carry the Style CS. All the tools I need and just 1.5 ounces. Bought a Gerber something and at 2.2 ounces it feels like a brick in my pocket. :-)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Moose2001
04-27-2012, 14:20
As for tweezers, my SAK has a fairly useless pair. A pointy tip tweezer would be good for tick removal. Given the Lyme Disease threat in some areas, this may be essential. Is there a good way to get ticks without a tweezer? The only other use I can think of would be for splinter removal, but I usually dig those out with a sewing needle, which I carry with some thread for sewing repairs.

Here's a better option for removing ticks. It works very well and weighs a lot less than tweezers! http://www.rei.com/product/407279/pro-tick-remedy-tick-removal-system

For clippers, I go to the store and buy a nail clipper made for babies. Much smaller and lighter than even a small size clipper. Works well!

MuddyWaters
04-27-2012, 22:43
the little tweezers that come with knives arent useful. They are too thin and flexible to pull a tick out. Either bring a tick removal key or tool, or a sturdy pair of tweezer.

springerfever
04-28-2012, 06:53
I picked up a couple of these a while back. Seems to be the best and lightest solution.

http://www.otom.com/otom-tick-twister-hook

Odd Man Out
04-28-2012, 09:49
the little tweezers that come with knives arent useful. They are too thin and flexible to pull a tick out. Either bring a tick removal key or tool, or a sturdy pair of tweezer.

When this came up here a couple of weeks ago I e-mailed both SAK makers and suggested they modify their tweezers to make the suitable for pulling ticks. Both companies wrote back and thanked me for the suggestion and said they would look into it. I don't expect them their tweezers to become more useful in the near future, but I'm glad they took time to write back. If more people did this, maybe they would listen. It takes all of a couple of minutes to find the "contact us" link on a web page and send the message.