PDA

View Full Version : Grandma Gatewood

highway
09-05-2002, 09:26
You can read about her here:

http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/ultralig.htm

Grandma Gatewood
Emma "Grandma" Gatewood, whose picture is shown to the left, is the considered by many to be the "patron saint" of ultralightweight backpackers. She hiked the entire Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine in 1954 when she was 67, becoming the first woman to thru-hike the AT in one season. She hiked the entire distance alone. Two years later, she thru-hiked the entire trail and again did it alone. Over the following five years she hiked sections of the trail until she had completed the entire trail a third time.

What made accomplishments even more interesting is that she never carried more than 20 lbs of gear and food during her hikes. In fact, she had complete contempt for traditional backpacking gear. Instead of boots, she wore Keds sneakers. Instead of an expensive parka, she wore a rain cape which she also used as a ground cloth. Instead of a heavy tent, she carried a plastic shower curtain for shelter. Instead of a sleeping bag, she used an army blanket. The only remaining items she carried were a sweater, jacket, flashlight, Swiss Army knife, a small pot, first-aid supplies, safety pins, needle and thread, soap, and a towel. In fact, she didn't even use a backpack at all, but just carried a homemade demin sack over one shoulder.

Her incredible accomplishments should give us pause to reconsider what's really necessary in the backpacking equipment we carry

Look at the above site, it's interesting. Sure makes me feel small while I consider the merits of various pieces of gear. She didn't consider gear at all; she just went. At 67 she carried less than I do. It makes one think we are to "gear-consumed" than we should be.

screwysquirrel
01-23-2004, 23:26
I live about 200 yards from her old house here in Gallipolis, Ohio. She has quite a few trails named after her here in this neck of the FREEZING woods.

illininagel
01-24-2004, 00:31
Her incredible accomplishments should give us pause to reconsider what's really necessary in the backpacking equipment we carry...

Clearly, she's one of a special breed. I can't say that I would want to thru-hike with a sack over one shoulder. She certainly deserves credit for her accomplishments. Many people her age sit waiting in parking lots for the closest spaces to open up so they won't have to walk an extra hundred feet.

Rick1987
03-09-2004, 17:28
I am developing a project about Emma Gatewood. Do you have any information or know of any contacts that I may approach in finding surviving family members or those who might be able to give me some depth into her character, or stories about her.

firefly
03-10-2004, 09:51
When I was in High School I was in a Explorer Scout Troup. We backpacked up and down the AT in Georgia, North Carolina and Tenn. We met a woman hiking that introduced herself as "Grandma" that fits her description. This lady was hiking with her grandchildren. It would have been sometime during 1972-1975. We have always wondered if that was her.

Jaybird
03-10-2004, 10:07
I am developing a project about Emma Gatewood. Do you have any information or know of any contacts that I may approach in finding surviving family members or those who might be able to give me some depth into her character, or stories about her.

RICK:

just do a GOOGLE search on Grandma Gatewood & you get 100s of hits.
i'm sure you can find some info about family on there somewhere. :D

MarjLynn
01-05-2013, 14:56
Grandma completed the trail for the first time in 1955 not 1954, she only hiked a few days on the trail in 1954 because the trail was marked so poorly that she got lost and decided that she would go home and start again the following year from the southern most part of the trail and go north.