PDA

View Full Version : Camping at the Pinnacle

EasyT
04-09-2012, 12:12
Anyone know if there is anywhere to stealth camp at the pinnacle in PA for one night? There's a meteor shower the end of April and I want some great views on my way through the area.

Blissful
04-09-2012, 14:22
May have to ask elsewhere or PM some PA hikers, the list is not permitted to openly discuss stealth camping issues.

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 16:01
Anyone know if there is anywhere to stealth camp at the pinnacle in PA for one night? There's a meteor shower the end of April and I want some great views on my way through the area.Now,I don't know about stealth camping;),but on that night It could be that there will be others taking advantage of the "Dark Sky":cool:at the observatory right around the corner from the pinnacle and possibly sleeping out that night as well:-?.And as always "Stealth Camping"comes with consequences $$$:eek:(What the),don't get caught and "LNT"good luck!and have a great hike/view.:)

johnnybgood
04-09-2012, 16:10
"stealth camping" implies illegal... I'm looking for a great view on the 21st myself.

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 16:11
Now,I don't know about stealth camping;),but on that night It could be that there will be others taking advantage of the "Dark Sky":cool:at the observatory right around the corner from the pinnacle and possibly sleeping out that night as well:-?.And as always "Stealth Camping"comes with consequences $$$:eek:(What the),don't get caught and "LNT"good luck!and have a great hike/view.:)On the same/but different note,Watching meteors is not camping Per Se,not sure of direction of radi of that event or time,but usually they occur in the wee hours so staying up all night to watch is not of it self camping even if you are in your bag...now setting up a tent and digging-in (Stakes)might be looked at differently.but if your sitting there in your bag hanging out,I don't see what the problem would be.have fun.

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 16:18
"stealth camping" implies illegal... I'm looking for a great view on the 21st myself.Well,off the grid can be just about anywhere USA,and don't want you to give up your location,but if you'll go www.darksky.org you will find what has been determined "Areas having the least amount light pollution all over the US and more.Good luck getting lost in the dark.And as always don't forget to look UP!

shelterbuilder
04-09-2012, 18:13
"Officially" - the Pinnacle is part of the Hamburg watershed property, and the Borough FROWNS upon overnight camping within the watershed, EXCEPT at the Windsor Furnace Shelter. They DO patrol the area, and the Borough does make a bit of money collecting fines from those who choose not to obey the regulations (including parking overnight at the Hamburg Watershed parking lot without first registering in person with the Borough office (61 North 3rd St., Hamburg phone 610 -562-7821). The Borough is NOT paranoid; they fear for the continued well-being of their water supply.

Now, that being said, the Allentown Astronomical Society has a couple of observatories atop Pulpit Rocks, and if you contact them, they might invite you up for the night. (I don't have a phone or website for them, but perhaps someone else does.) Even without an invite, if you registered with the Borough for overnight parking, walked up for the show, then walked back down to the shelter (a stone's throw off of he dirt road that leads up to the observatory area), you could be completely legal, and not have to worry about sleeping with one eye open!

rjjones
04-09-2012, 18:36
All this is very interesting.Ive seen people camping at both the pinnical and pulpit on numerus occasions.I guess its a roll of the dice.

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 18:37
"Officially" - the Pinnacle is part of the Hamburg watershed property, and the Borough FROWNS upon overnight camping within the watershed, EXCEPT at the Windsor Furnace Shelter. They DO patrol the area, and the Borough does make a bit of money collecting fines from those who choose not to obey the regulations (including parking overnight at the Hamburg Watershed parking lot without first registering in person with the Borough office (61 North 3rd St., Hamburg phone 610 -562-7821). The Borough is NOT paranoid; they fear for the continued well-being of their water supply.

Now, that being said, the Allentown Astronomical Society has a couple of observatories atop Pulpit Rocks, and if you contact them, they might invite you up for the night. (I don't have a phone or website for them, but perhaps someone else does.) Even without an invite, if you registered with the Borough for overnight parking, walked up for the show, then walked back down to the shelter (a stone's throw off of he dirt road that leads up to the observatory area), you could be completely legal, and not have to worry about sleeping with one eye open!I believe that is the .LVAAS (http://www.LVAAS) or the Lehigh valley Astronomical association society.

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 18:39
I believe that is the .LVAAS (http://www.LVAAS) or the Lehigh valley Astronomical association society.Oops,bad link.try www.lvaas.org (http://www.lvaas.org)

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-09-2012, 20:31
Contact the Lehigh Valley Astronomy club. Maybe they can help you legally. They have an observatory at pulpit rocks 2 miles south of the Pinnacle on AT.

shelterbuilder
04-09-2012, 20:56
All this is very interesting.Ive seen people camping at both the pinnical and pulpit on numerus occasions.I guess its a roll of the dice.

Well, yes...and I see people flying down the interstate at 80 MPH, too. Bigger dice, I guess.

Thanks for the link, rocketsocks.

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 21:27
Well, yes...and I see people flying down the interstate at 80 MPH, too. Bigger dice, I guess.

Thanks for the link, rocketsocks.Your welcome.And not to start trouble or anything;),but if traveling at night there,Do watch out for the "Rattlers" that inhabit those rocks and hunt at night.:DCheers...3..2..1

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2012, 21:52
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/stealth.jpg

There are several places of your choice where water flows and you can pitch a tent or hammock near these "soft" locations. There are even designated campsites near these numbers.

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 21:55
And Woo bangs it out of the park! right on down to the One Degree.

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2012, 21:59
been there done that.. thanks RS

rocketsocks
04-09-2012, 22:03
been there done that.. thanks RSI found that place last year for the first time,I mean I'm hiking through the woods with no prior knowledge and then pop across a whole compound of observatories.It was kinda like the twilight zone....for sure!:eek:

shelterbuilder
04-09-2012, 22:43
Your welcome.And not to start trouble or anything;),but if traveling at night there,Do watch out for the "Rattlers" that inhabit those rocks and hunt at night.:DCheers...3..2..1

Copperheads, too - around the Pinnacle itself!
:eek:
I gotta get me access to better graphics! WOO is defintely in a class by himself!! However, the blue-highlighted site is within the watershed area (NPS only has an easement across the land), and the other one is on SGL, and is SO far off the footpath that it's not legal (WAY more than 200'). I know both of those spots...and so do the LEO's.

C.A.P. is up in this area a lot, but I believe that they operate under special regs and can get away with more than us common folk. I just don't want to see anyone paying a hefty fine for stargazing, that's all.