PDA

View Full Version : nine day hike

renaissanceman89
04-09-2012, 13:18
Hello everyone! My name is Zach and i've been hiking and mountaineering now for around two years. Being in college I have never had time for more than an overnight backpacking trip until now. My fiance' and I will both have about 9 days that we plan on hiking starting may 7th. We have both been to Carver's Gap in Roan Mountain, TN several times and plan on making that our starting point, joining up with the AT before the climb to the last bald. I have never gotten on the AT at carvers Gap, we have always hiked to grassy ridge instead of turning onto the AT, so I have no knowledge of the trail. We need to inform our ride where to pick us up when we are through with our journey. We plan on averaging somewhere around 15 miles a day if possible. What would be the ideal place to get picked up? Also, is there a location we could shoot for to get picked up? Thanks in advance!

renaissanceman89
04-09-2012, 13:19
PS, I have no reservations about which direction to hike, so any input on that would be greatly appreciated as well.

lush242000
04-09-2012, 19:38
Early May? Can't beat southern Virginia.

map man
04-09-2012, 22:56
Nine days and 15 miles per day would put you 135 miles down the trail. If you go south your quitting point would be I-40, just outside the north end of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Standing Bear Farm Hostel (about a trail mile north of I-40) would be a convenient place to shower and get picked up. If you go north you could get picked up where the AT crosses Va. 603, forty miles past Damascus.

Of course, most people with your limited backpacking experience overestimate how much ground they can cover. I know I did back in my early backpacking days! So you can play with different distances from your starting point at this web site: http://www.atdist.com/

renaissanceman89
04-10-2012, 10:00
Thanks for the link and advice "map man"! Definitely leaning towards hiking south.