PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a 3 day hike in Virginia/North Carolina

HokieSize3
04-09-2012, 13:26
Greetings all! A friend and I are looking for a good 3 day hike somewhere Western/Southern Virginia or possibly in North Carolina. We're in good shape, seasoned campers, and are just looking for some advice on where to go, how to get there, and mileage of a 3 day hike or any good tips you can provide. We want to get away from it and reconnect with nature. Thanks for any advice and help you can be!

BabySue
04-09-2012, 18:41
Mt Rogers & the Grayson highlands are favorites of many. Use www.atdist.com to research mileage. Google national geographic trails illustrated for a viewable but not printable map. It's a map worth buying, one of NG/TI's best.

flemdawg1
04-09-2012, 19:16
Devil Fork Gap to Hot Springs. Park and shuttle from Hot Springs (I used Bluff Mountain Outfitters).

BabySue
04-09-2012, 20:15
Flemdawg's idea is good too. Jerry cabin is kinda run down. Rich mountain fire tower is near the trail & worth seeing. Good food in hot springs, ESP. Smoky mountain diner.

jbsbestfan
04-10-2012, 07:43
I like babysue's suggestion. We went there over easter...parked in Damascus and caught a shuttle with Mt. Rogers Outfitters to Grayson Highlands/Massie Gap and hiked back to Damascus. Beautiful and challenging even though we were more downhill than uphill.

HokieSize3
04-10-2012, 09:52
Thanks for the input- I want to research these but am pretty AT illiterate. Can you tell me where exactly, geographically you are speaking of? We would be coming from MArtinsville or Blacksburg. Thanks in advance.

Lone Wolf
04-10-2012, 10:00
Thanks for the input- I want to research these but am pretty AT illiterate. Can you tell me where exactly, geographically you are speaking of? We would be coming from MArtinsville or Blacksburg. Thanks in advance.exit 29 off I 81 about an hour and 20 minutes from blacksburg

BabySue
04-10-2012, 12:34
Grayson Highlands State Park is on the southern edge of Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area, both in southwest VA. Both are labeled on Mapquest. The map I mentioned in my earlier post is viewable here (after a click or three): http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_786. You'd definitely want to buy this map or a similar one before heading out. There's a place for overnight parking on the AT on route 600 a few miles west of Mt. Rogers (again, see Mapquest). I started there for a three-day hike last summer, much like you're pondering. Actually, don't see Mapquest; instead go to googlemaps.com, for it shows the AT.

HokieSize3
04-10-2012, 15:46
Thank you very much!