PDA

View Full Version : Contrail v. Blackbird 1.1 DL

Harry Dresden
04-09-2012, 15:11
The Contrail tent is a Tarptent creation that seems to be a pretty spectacular setup, quick, light and roomy. On the other hand, the BB 1.1 DL is a hammock, off the ground (bonus)
I am stuck between the two. I plan on doing a thru-hike of the Knobstone Trail (IN) this summer to start my prep for a 3-4 wk section hike of the AT next summer. The Contrail with a SilTarp is cheaper, but I don't know if I will regret this decision. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Tom Murphy
04-09-2012, 15:26
Apples and oranges.

Like most backpacking ear you need to list what qualities are the most improtant to you: for example, hiking comfort vs camping comfort and then the correct decision for you is pretty clear.

I enjoy using my hammock when off-trail in New England forests I enjoy using my tent when staying at shelters and other types of established campsites.

coffee kid
04-09-2012, 15:46
Harry,

It happens that I have both (bought second-hand through this and Hammock Forums websites), as I am gearing up for a section hike on the AT in late May. I've set up the contrail once in my back yard and it does seem well made. Haven't tried to sleep in it in bad weather, but it does seem to set up as easily as it looks in the set-up video on the tarptent website (do look at that - if you haven't already - to see how it sets up).

I haven't yet set up or tried my blackbird, but (you probably know) it is highly praised by owners who post on the Hammock Forums site. If you read long enough on HF, you'll see hammockers admit that hammock camping is more expensive, and once in a while there are those who sell their hammocks, etc. having decided that they prefer sleeping on the ground.

Don't know about your resources, but if you can afford it, you could buy both, try them out and sell the one you like least. Blackbirds sell for almost the new price (minus shipping cost) on Hammock Forums - usually within 10 minutes of being posted for sale. - Or, watch HF for hammock "hangs" in your area and go see them set up. HF members often invite newbies to do this and they say of themselves that they love showing and talking about their hammocks and set-ups.

Packeagle
04-09-2012, 18:08
The tent vs hammock debate is one you will find people on both sides. Here are my thought on the issue. I own a wbbb 1.1 dbl, and a tarptent double rainbow. Owning a hammock and using it effectively required a lot of learning and experimentation. A tent is much easier to stay warm. Just a pad, quilt and tent. In a hammock, once you have the knowledge, it CAN be a more comfortable setup but not for everyone. I like being above the ground so in rain all that is wet is my tarp, and no mud and dirt to pack up like with a tent. I would advise you get an underquilt if you go the hammock route. It greatly increased my like for the hammocks.

Dogwood
04-09-2012, 19:32
Harry, it sounds like a 50 - 60 mile thru-hike of the KT should gain you some some valuable insight into what the AT will be like for 3-4 wks the following summer. I've never thrued the KT, but after having discussed the KT with several KT thru-hikers and from what I already knew about it it sounds like the KT and AT are comparable in some regards in that both are generally wooded(heavily treed) and have many elevation changes, although the KT does not have the 2000 ft plus elev. changes like the AT. The KT generally has lots of those 400 ft or less ups and downs. The KT, also like the AT at times, follows along escarpments. It sounds like, at least to me, considering the KT terrain and the timing of your KT thru-hike(summer) this is some perfect proving ground to experiment with a hammock set-up and getting yourself dialed in and comfortable with regard to potential shelter set-ups for your AT section hike.

It's probably BEST, if you have narrowed down your shelter options to these two shelters, YOU experiment with both types of shelters, tarp-tents and hammocks to see what's right for YOU based on YOUR PRIORITIES! I agree with Coffee Kid in that most BB's sell near to their purchase price and, I'll add, Henry Shire's Contrails often have excellent resale value too! Perhaps, you could borrow or rent one or both of these shelters, even if for only a night or two in the outdoors, before making a final purchase committment as to what shelter you'll use on the AT? Also, you might inquire before purchase if returns are accepted and/or under what conditions.

As for me, if this helps at all, I tend to only use a hammock on non-winter season, off-trail, rainforest, MUDDY, jungle type hikes that entail steep hillsides, few if any established campsites, and a necessity to get off the ground because of venomous creepy crawlers. I have a modified(to make it lighter wt, I'm an ULer) Hennessey hammock that I use in these situations. I used to own a Contrail, and certainly enjoyed it as a single walled shelter, it served me well, but I did not use it on my AT thru-hike, AND I'm CERTAINLY NOT implying it would inappropriate for you to use. These days, the $$$ I spend on hiking gear, especially a shelter, is not my #1 priority when making gear choices, function, gear weight, and how a specific piece of gear fits into the rest of my gear kit and hiking style are! These days, I mostly prefer to shelter under a Cuben tarp and/or UL highly breathable waterproof(WP) or highly water resistant bivy.

Anyhow, find out what works best for YOU! Happy hiking. Sounds like you have a good game plan in play!

daddytwosticks
04-10-2012, 07:25
I've owned both at different times. I no longer own them! I'm always trying different gear. Reasons for selling: I'm not a hammock guy and I do not like front entry shelters (Contrail). Both items were fussy to set-up and use. Just MY two cents. :)

Harry Dresden
04-10-2012, 08:11
Thanks everyone for your advice! I think, after looking over what I want when I hike, I'm going to buy the BB 1.1 DL and try it this summer on the KT. If I can afford to buy the Contrail as well, I'll try that one at a different time this summer... Maybe switch out half-way thru the KT? Hmm... might work

THANKS!!!!!