PDA

View Full Version : therma rest repair

greywolf1974
04-09-2012, 15:31
does anyone know a do it yourself method of fixing a leak with haveing to buy the costly official therma repair kit

please help thanks

Cookerhiker
04-09-2012, 17:06
In the 20 years of my first therm-a-rest, I sent it back to the company twice for repairs. The only cost was my shipping cost.

That was before I lost it on my last hike.:o

Bucho
04-10-2012, 15:15
The thermarest kit doesn't actually work very well. It's kind of nice for hiking because there's no liquid to leak and you don't have to wait around for a liquid to dry, you can just take a piece of patch and a glue dot out with you and have an immediant fix. Thing is because the glue dot never dries you end up with a heavy, unstable patch.

For pin prick holes coleman seam sealer can work for anything larger you might want to see what walmart has in it's floats and pool games section.

gopher
04-11-2012, 07:07
For pin hole field repairs. 1. find the hole mark it 2. Squeeze out some air. 3. put a dot of super glue on the hole and release the valve it will suck in the glue and seal it. So far this has lasted several years for me.

Hobbler
04-11-2012, 08:06
Yeah, while I do agree that super glue will work, is an instant fix on the trail, and is a small tube to carry, the dried area is rock hard. If the repair is large, it should not be left with any dried sharp edges. Use as little as necessary. When the pad is rolled up, or if the user is careless in handling, it could cause abrasion and might create another leak.

Another solution which is a multi-use product is to use a dab of Shoo-Goo (available at Wal-Mart) on the leaking area after a thorough cleaning. Of course, it will need to cure for a spell, best to do on a zero. The repair is permanent, leaves no sharp edge, and lots of other gear repairs you might have at the time can be made. If you don't want to carry the extra weight of the tube afterwards, drop it in a hiker box at an outfitter, or leave it at a trail shelter...Others will also need to do repairs and will welcome your generosity. I have used this on my Therma-Rests for years, they never leak if done carefully....Love it!

plurpimpin
04-11-2012, 08:51
Yeah, while I do agree that super glue will work, is an instant fix on the trail, and is a small tube to carry, the dried area is rock hard. If the repair is large, it should not be left with any dried sharp edges. Use as little as necessary. When the pad is rolled up, or if the user is careless in handling, it could cause abrasion and might create another leak.

Another solution which is a multi-use product is to use a dab of Shoo-Goo (available at Wal-Mart) on the leaking area after a thorough cleaning. Of course, it will need to cure for a spell, best to do on a zero. The repair is permanent, leaves no sharp edge, and lots of other gear repairs you might have at the time can be made. If you don't want to carry the extra weight of the tube afterwards, drop it in a hiker box at an outfitter, or leave it at a trail shelter...Others will also need to do repairs and will welcome your generosity. I have used this on my Therma-Rests for years, they never leak if done carefully....Love it!

Shoo-goo is great, it is actually the exact same product as aqua seal which is available in much smaller more packable tubes. I usually carry a small tube of aqua seal. both products are just liquid urethane rubber. I've used it to fix everything from shoes to inflatable kayaks, the stuff works wonders.

Miami Joe
04-11-2012, 11:25
Always carry super glue in your first aid kit. Just saying...I slight digression: I've had a thermarest lounger for a long time. The lounger part is ripped at the base of the chair. Will thermarest repair this if I send it back? I'm obviously being a little lazy here.