PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap

4dogHiker
04-09-2012, 16:47
We are hiking this section in early September. My concerns are about the mileage involved to knock this out in three days. While my hubbie can easily bag 12 mile days day after day, I'm more the 8-9 mile a day kind of girl. I know it is a big push to Ice Water Spring Shelter. Is it a pretty rough day to make it to Peck's Corner Shelter from the gap? We are hoping to start hiking somewhere around 10 or so....How is the 12.5 miles to Cosby Knob? Is three days a realistic goal? I've been backpacking for years, but hate the feeling I get having to push 10-12 mile days (especially with the trail through GSMNP). In the alternative, we can always start half a day earlier than planned, and stay at IWSS the first night. Thanks for all the feedback!:)

ChinMusic
04-09-2012, 17:19
I did NFG-Pecks-Cosby-Davenport a couple years ago without much difficulty and I'm sort of a 8-9 mile guy when starting out. It's def not a difficult section with a lot of ridge walking. What climbs you will have are graded well (no hanging onto trees to rest). The climb to Icewater will be fine. It will be early in the day for you.

On your last day, DO take the .6-mile side trail to Mt Cammerer Fire Tower. It's a great place to visit at least once.

moytoy
04-09-2012, 17:27
Only you can know your ability but the trip from NFG to DG is a pretty easy one when it comes to hiking in thI've e mountains. A net loss of 3K ft assures you of more downhill than uphill. The drop into DG can be rough on the knees if you try to go too fast and are not used to it. Your Plan of stays at Pecks Corner and Cosby Knob are pretty good ones. I've done that trip with those stays and been at DG at 2:00 PM on the third day. Hve fun!

aaronthebugbuffet
04-09-2012, 20:11
Newfound to Pecks on the AT is pretty gentle compared to other trails in the GSMNP.
If you are an 8-10 mile/day hiker you may just want to leave earlier if you that's an option.

It's hard to give advice on something like this to people you don't know.

andrewsmith729
04-09-2012, 21:14
Like others have said, as far as the AT is concerned that is a pretty easy section. You should be able to at least do your average mileage on that section, if not more. I've done that section in one day before with a daypack and also as part of a 3 day hike from Fontana to Davenport Gap and the only thing I remember is the 6 miles of downhill into Davenport Gap. It's a killer on ankles and knees. The trail maintenance is good, but the trail is hard on the feet/ankles/knees.

CrumbSnatcher
04-09-2012, 21:32
this is the section alot of thruhikers do their first 20 mile day
cakewalk :-)

OldFeet
04-10-2012, 09:13
This should be pretty doable. I hiked in the opposite direction a couple years ago and took three days from Davenport Gap to the Mt. Collins Shelter a couple miles south of Newfound Gap. After the initial climb to Ice Water Spring Shelter there is a lot of ridge walking as others have noted.

4dogHiker
04-10-2012, 09:24
Thanks, all! These posts have eased my mind a lot. Happy hiking!

Kerosene
04-10-2012, 09:59
Start as early as you can. The first few miles are uphill, and then things level out. If it's a nice day then you're going to want to take a nice long break for lunch at Charlies Bunion. After that, the trail is fairly easy, although increasingly rocky all the way to Davenport Gap. I did 3 easy days from Mt. Collins Shelter to Pecks Corner to Cosby Knob to Standing Bear Farm. Start early, take a rest every hour, make sure you stay hydrated and well fed, and consider hiking for a few hours after eating an early dinner.

Lyte-w8-hyker
07-01-2012, 20:42
I'm about to request some time off to do this same hike in 4-6 weeks, How hot is it typically in late july early august at the AT elevations? Will the springs at the shelter be flowing?

Veetack
07-02-2012, 07:38
I'm about to request some time off to do this same hike in 4-6 weeks, How hot is it typically in late july early august at the AT elevations? Will the springs at the shelter be flowing?
I'm headed out to do Fontana to Newfound Gap like right now, I'll let you know on Wednesday what I find out. The weather report today says close to 90, and I know at elevation there's good possibility of spontaneous thunderstorms.

Lyte-w8-hyker
07-03-2012, 23:43
good luck, keep us updated