PDA

View Full Version : hike planning > schoolwork ?

RedBeerd
04-09-2012, 19:22
I am writing this out of frustration towards myself. It seems every time I sit down to work on schoolwork, I end up here or on another site looking up information about gear, future hikes, food etc. Just a moment ago I was reading some articles on vegetarianism because that's what a current assignment relates to. Within a minute I am on minimus.biz looking at different individual packets of olive oil. I know I'm not alone..

But seriously, any college students out there completely consumed by hike planning that schoolwork is seeming second priority?! Ridiculous, I know. Writing a paper isn't fun..but reading endless conversations on WB is. Help me...

Blissful
04-09-2012, 19:49
Learn what you can when you can. The trail is not going anywhere.

RWheeler
04-09-2012, 19:54
College itself is just a huge battle of attention span vs. what else you can do.

Set hike planning as a reward for yourself. Work for 45 minutes, hike stuff for 10.

NickDezern
04-09-2012, 20:57
Im exactly the same! One more year for me. Starting NOBO May 2013 when I graduate.

warpzilla
04-09-2012, 21:05
Keep researching the trail. C's get degrees!!!

RWheeler
04-09-2012, 21:24
Keep researching the trail. C's get degrees!!!

And degrees get... debt. That's about it.

:(

Fun fact: it's cheaper for me to do my thru-hike than pay rent and car insurance and continue trying to find a supposed "entry level" job that I'm "qualified" for.

singing wind
04-10-2012, 01:09
Focus, focus, focus...one step at a time. That's what both school work and hiking require. As a suggestion, devote your best to each one and you'll come out on top. Split your focus and energy, well ... you get the picture. Goal setting and achieving success is each area IS achievable. And it's so true - the trail will always be there... School is an amazing opportunity as well. Ultimately you make the choice. All the best with your journey.

Winds
04-10-2012, 01:55
Well, which packet of olive oil is easiest to open?

Rocket Jones
04-10-2012, 06:17
School is not instant gratification, nor is the trail. Learn to concentrate on what's important in the now that will benefit you in the future, and you'll find that skill helps later when you're walking the AT.

RedBeerd
04-10-2012, 06:44
Sound advice here, as well as some expected humor. I'll work on finding the balance between WB and school :)

As a previous post mentioned - the trail isnt going anywhere. But wait a minute..either is school..uh oh..

RWheeler
04-10-2012, 18:26
School will certainly go somewhere if you neglect it though...

futureatwalker
04-11-2012, 02:25
College itself is just a huge battle of attention span vs. what else you can do.

Set hike planning as a reward for yourself. Work for 45 minutes, hike stuff for 10.

I absolutely agree with this. Use hiking preparation as a reward for a chunk of schoolwork.

t_ryfek
04-11-2012, 13:36
My personal solution is to relate all of my papers to the AT... i find that most instructors find it informative and very interesting. It is very easy to incorporate instances such as vegetarianism into a paper about the AT just look at your trip in different perspectives, what if you were a vegetarian on the trail? For all you know you may discover some better options for when you finally hit the trail! Hope this helps your grades as much as it has helped me and maybe we will cross paths on the trail im SOBO 2013!

Winds
04-11-2012, 13:43
A vegan olive oil packet which is easy to open. That shouldn't be a problem! :)

RWheeler
04-11-2012, 15:55
A vegan olive oil packet which is easy to open. That shouldn't be a problem! :)

How about one where the color matches your pack? Ramp up the difficulty a bit?

Chaco Taco
04-11-2012, 16:59
Its called discipline. I made a deal with myself that I have to my schoolwork first. Im also a 36 year old student so my priorities are a little different. Get your s*** done first, plane and simple. Id also work more on actually getting out to hike instead of cyber hiking. Im more active right now because Im about to head out. That will start to die off soon enough.

And yes, color coordination is very important on the trail!

RedBeerd
04-11-2012, 17:56
Its called discipline. I made a deal with myself that I have to my schoolwork first. Im also a 36 year old student so my priorities are a little different. Get your s*** done first, plane and simple. Id also work more on actually getting out to hike instead of cyber hiking. Im more active right now because Im about to head out. That will start to die off soon enough.

And yes, color coordination is very important on the trail!

Being 20, discipline is a tough one :P but the semester is over in a month so I am cracking down, honest! I do plenty of running and biking but hiking is a weekend thing as I am not close to any 'real' trails. Cyber hiking is my time filler.

VTATHiker
04-11-2012, 18:38
I'm with ya HeavyPack - except I'm 27 and trying to finish a thesis by mid-May. You gotta have some distractions... now, back to writing...

shelb
04-11-2012, 21:34
So much good advice above!
AT research = reward
Study time certain percent / AT time certain percent

This is a good way to keep an obsession from harming other parts of your life! (Not that this is a bad obsession, just that it needs to be kept in its place ...in perspective to the rest of our priorities.)

MyName1sMud
04-12-2012, 14:37
Question. What are you going to use the Olive Oil for? I understand cooking.... but what in the hell are you going to be cooking to justify carrying Olive Oil?

VTATHiker
04-12-2012, 14:50
Olive oil goes in everything. At roughly 240 calories per ounce, it's great to have on a long hike. Put it in mac n' cheese, put it in any pasta, add it to instant mashed potatoes... the list can go on and on.

MyName1sMud
04-12-2012, 15:18
Olive oil goes in everything. At roughly 240 calories per ounce, it's great to have on a long hike. Put it in mac n' cheese, put it in any pasta, add it to instant mashed potatoes... the list can go on and on.

hmmmmmmm i guess i will have to look into this! I've never cooked with Olive Oil but then again i'm in the land of fried food.

RWheeler
04-12-2012, 16:14

Or you can put it on Snickers for a greasy hiker snack-stick!

OnlyJohn
04-12-2012, 16:43
hmmmmmmm i guess i will have to look into this! I've never cooked with Olive Oil but then again i'm in the land of fried food.

You can fry with it too, I'm just sayin.

Astro
04-12-2012, 16:44
And degrees get... debt. That's about it.

:(

Fun fact: it's cheaper for me to do my thru-hike than pay rent and car insurance and continue trying to find a supposed "entry level" job that I'm "qualified" for.

C's might get degrees and debts, but A's in an appropriate major (field valued in the marketplace) will get you a high paying to take care of your debt and even fund future hikes.

Astro
04-12-2012, 16:45
High paying "JOB" that is.

One Half
04-12-2012, 16:46
I would rather fund my sons thru hike than a college education. I think he will learn more. Aw heck, what am I saying? He's paying for both and won't want me to visit him during either unless he gets in a scrape.