PDA

View Full Version : Stoves: Pocket Rocket vs. Simmerlite

jawilson20
04-02-2005, 00:04
I am looking into these stoves( i dont want to make my own). I need to know a few things first. What is the availibility of fuels for these stoves in towns? Which performs better?

Twigs
04-02-2005, 09:54
From the small amount of research I have done, it seems regular Coleman fuel would be more available. The PR is fast to setup, but remember its supposedly hard to get going in cold weather. I have no experience with either. If you are a solo hiker, there are several good online dealers for "popcan" stoves for fair prices so you don't have to make your own. For two, they are a bit slow and not fuel effictive. IMHO.

tlbj6142
04-02-2005, 10:34
All of your questions are answerd in these three threads. In short if don't want to go with a wood, esbit or alcohol stove, you should go with a canister stove. I would, however pick a different stove than the Pocket Rocket. The Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=9741-700)canister stove (make sure you get the 'ultralight version') got top marks on a recent canister stove review amongst 8+ other stoves including the PR.

Canister fuel tips/availablity....

This comes up quite often, and I believe between Chris, Jack and others almost all of the answers have been posted within the past 2-3 months.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7294
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6152
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2868

All of these combined cover the topic very well.

"ME & U"
04-02-2005, 11:41
Have both and ran a test. The simmerlte rocks but white gas...the pocket rocket rolls but canister... esbit rules man!

If you have to go this route, then I would suggest the pocket rocket because of the wt savings alone. Fuel is an issue but either way you'll be dealing with the same issue wether gas, can, solid, or alcohol.

I hiked with a bro who used a canister stove and had an issue with fuel in a town that boasted an outfitter... at the time I was using alcohol and had no problems at all...:D

tlbj6142
04-02-2005, 16:16
Regarless of which canister stove you purchase two things will greatly improve your efficency.

Don't run it at full force. That just ends up wasting fuel faster than the pot can take it. One-half to three quarters is more than enough.
Use some sort of windscreen. See the one a the bottom of the BPL Canister Stove FAQ (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/canister_stove_faq.html). You can do something similar with your pad, just keep it a safe distance (8-10"??) from the stove setup to prevent it from melting.
Assuming you boil 2 cups (16oz) of water per day expect 14+ days per 8oz (12oz including the canister) of fuel. Someone in one of the threads I provided earlier was getting 20+ days per 8oz of fuel.

Honestly, if the empty canisters were a bit lighter and/or could be refilled, canister stoves would be most weight efficent stove on the market.

Peaks
04-02-2005, 16:57
You have asked a couple of questions.

First: Fuel availability. White gas is very common along the AT. Everyone seems to have a can. Or, if you are running low, then you can probably "borrow" some from another hiker. Ditto for alcohol.

Cansiters are not so readily available. Usually need to go to an outfitter for them.

Which is better? Most backpackers probably have several stoves. And which one gets used on a particular trip depends on the nature of the trip. If cooking for one, and doing simple cooking, then alchohol is preferred by many. In cold weather, or for doing more elaborate cooking (more than boiling 2 cups of water), then you will probably want a cansister or white gas stove. All personal preference. Among thru-hikers you will see all types of stoves used.

hikerjohnd
04-03-2005, 07:17
I love to cook when I'm out on the trail - I usually carry a Dragonfly, but have switched to the simmerlite and find it to be just as capable when it comes to cooking - just a bit smaller.

For what it's worth - I prefer the lower center of gravity a wg stove offers over a cannister -

My $.02! :cool:

LIhikers
04-06-2005, 16:09
I have a Simmerlite and recommend it. It's been nothing but reliable and works good in all 4 seasons. Use it with the wind screen that comes with it and you've got a winning combination. I'll admitt that it is a little heavy but not unreasonable, at least not by my standards. As a section hiker I've never had trouble finding fuel for it either.

Jack Tarlin
04-06-2005, 16:56
Advantages to Simmerlite:

*Runs on white gas, so fuel is cheaper and more freely available
*Will work better in cold weather
*Will probably be slightly better at high altitudes

Advantages to Pocket Rocket:

*Lighter (both stove and fuel)
*Easier to operate
*Easier to pack as it's very small
*Cheaper to buy

Dis-advantages, Simmerlite:

*Heavier
*Bulkier
*More complicated to use, more things to potentially break
*Initially, is much more expensive

Dis-Advantages Pocket Rocket:

*Costlier to operate over long-term
*Occasional difficulty of finding fuel cannisters
*Creates landfill waste (used cannisters)

If you're more concerned with weight, packability, ease of operation,
go with the Pocket Rocket

If you're more concerned with long-term expense, going places where fuel
may be scarce, or using in cold or high-altitude climates, go Simmerlite

Incidentally, in addition to a Pocker Rocket, I also own the very similar
Snow peak GigaPower, which costs the same, weighs the same, and I
think is a slightly better stove

lumpy
04-06-2005, 18:12
Excellent comparison Jack. I too enjoy gourmet meals on the trail that involves more than boiling water and sometimes need two burners. I use the MSR Simmerlite and esbit for a second burner when needed. I've never had a problem with the Simmerlite or locating fuel on long hikes. I used to have a Primus Grasshopper propane backpacker stove, but quit using it because the elongated propane canisters are no longer available, only the shorter stubby ones which won't work with the Grasshopper. As far as the new Pocket Rocket and Snow Peak Giga, I really like both designs, but am concerned about locating fuel cannisters on the trail.

tiamalle
04-11-2005, 00:40
Excellent comparison Jack. I too enjoy gourmet meals on the trail that involves more than boiling water and sometimes need two burners. I use the MSR Simmerlite and esbit for a second burner when needed. I've never had a problem with the Simmerlite or locating fuel on long hikes. I used to have a Primus Grasshopper propane backpacker stove, but quit using it because the elongated propane canisters are no longer available, only the shorter stubby ones which won't work with the Grasshopper. As far as the new Pocket Rocket and Snow Peak Giga, I really like both designs, but am concerned about locating fuel cannisters on the trail.Lumpy I just saw your message and wanted
to just say hi.Have you went back to repoing cars.Your Friend,Ron Haven in Franklin,NC

:jump

Nightwalker
04-11-2005, 18:38
From the small amount of research I have done, it seems regular Coleman fuel would be more available. The PR is fast to setup, but remember its supposedly hard to get going in cold weather.
Old info. Primus Power Gas is rated to -15F and MSR IsoPro is rated to -10F. Those are advertising claims, therefore suspect, but I've used them both at 20F and below.