PDA

View Full Version : Camp pants

Thenixon
04-10-2012, 21:12
So here's something I took the entire first half of the AT to find... pants for wearing around camp, when sleeping, and in town. Nobody else I was hiking with seemed to have much of a need or want. How do you all feel? My criteria were as follows:

loose-fitting, to discourage mosquitoes (and humans keen to scope my magnificent legs).
very breathable, since i was wearing these in the height of summer. I tried several coated nylon things from goodwill and driducks. They were portable steamrooms.
pockets, for town use. the ones I settled on have no back pocket, a minor quibble.
light, obviously.

I finally found something that made me happy when I made a trip to REI from Harpers Ferry... these Nike Dri-fit pants (http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Dri-Fit-Stretch-Woven-Pants/dp/B004U2ZOXW) which I've never seen anyone on here refer to before. They're comfy, but I'm not sure they're as light as could be (I don't know the exact weight). Am I alone in wanting a pair of lightweight pants of the 'clean' persuasion, for camp and town? If not, what is your solution?

Chaco Taco
04-10-2012, 21:53
Whats the point? To stay "clean"? I have the same thing with campshoes? Id rather pack extra booze or food.

Thenixon
04-11-2012, 08:37
Yeah, more about comfortable than clean since they got washed a lot less. If you aren't carrying camp shoes we probably won't see eye to eye on this either - I dove headfirst into a river in Maine to save a beloved croc that was trying to float away.

Firefighter503
04-11-2012, 14:07
If I am hiking in pants to start with, I will just wear them around camp until I am ready to crawl into my sleeping bag. If I am hiking in shorts, I will wear base layer bottoms around camp if the bugs suck. For town, if I am carrying rain gear I will wear that. If not, I will usually carry an extra pair of shorts to wear around town.

nchiker
04-11-2012, 14:11
nurse/ dr scrubs looks like they would work well altho i have never tried them

Malto
04-11-2012, 15:51
In camp I wear one of five pairs of pants that I normally carry.
1) If I'm lazy I will wear my hiking pants in camp.
2) Usually I wear my camp pants when I'm alone.
3) When I have company I wear my formal pants, old suit pants.
4) During baseball season I wear old gym pants.
5) Above the Mason/Dixon line I wear my blue pants.

Actually, I only take one pair of pants and shorts. It makes the decision process easier because what would I wear at a northern shelter during baseball season when I feel lazy?

rocketsocks
04-11-2012, 17:13
In camp I wear one of five pairs of pants that I normally carry.
1) If I'm lazy I will wear my hiking pants in camp.
2) Usually I wear my camp pants when I'm alone.
3) When I have company I wear my formal pants, old suit pants.
4) During baseball season I wear old gym pants.
5) Above the Mason/Dixon line I wear my blue pants.

Actually, I only take one pair of pants and shorts. It makes the decision process easier because what would I wear at a northern shelter during baseball season when I feel lazy?OK there Mishta Shmarty Pants,It depends if the "Mets" are in first place or atlanta!

Mountain Mike
04-11-2012, 17:13
I love my RailRider pant. Durable, windproof but breathable. Re-enforced knee & seat yet lightweight & quick drying. In warmer wether when I don't think I really need them, lightweight rainpants for town & chilly camp nights.

Chaco Taco
04-11-2012, 20:27
Yeah, more about comfortable than clean since they got washed a lot less. If you aren't carrying camp shoes we probably won't see eye to eye on this either - I dove headfirst into a river in Maine to save a beloved croc that was trying to float away.
I just see them as unnecessary weight addition and do not get why people would carry camp pants. I noticed a lot of people will use their base layer bottom as camp pants

kayak karl
04-11-2012, 21:19
chaco i agree. ive been cutting things off my list over the years. camp shoes, pot cozys, knife, stuff sacks and extra clothes. i never had camp "pants" though. i just wear longjohns or my cuben chapps:rolleyes: