PDA

View Full Version : Neel to Deep Gap

JustADude
04-11-2012, 15:05
Hiking Neel to Deep Gap (NC) (want to hike North Bound). Where is the best place to leave a car at the Deep Gap end?

I've seen Standing Indian Camp Ground mentioned (35.07861, -83.53194). Is there long term parking there? I've heard that parking at Deep Gap there was previously bad vandalism. Not sure if that is still an issue or not.

I've heard about leaving the vehicle over at Tate City (someplace) and then hiking to it from that side.

Thanks for any feedback.

max patch
04-11-2012, 16:01
My first choice would be to pay a small fee and park inside Standing Indian Campground. See the campground host.

Mt second choice would be to park at Deep Gap. I've never heard of any vandalism there and I'd park there with no worries.

There used to be vandalism at the hiking parking lots outside of Standing Indian Campground. I personally would not leave a car there overnight based on this admittedly ancient history (10 years ago ish). Haven't heard of any recent issues but still...

I have not hiked the trail from Deep Gap to Tate City but I have heard it is poorly blazed and not maintained and not recommended unless you have (at least) a good map of the area.

generoll
04-11-2012, 17:26
I'd say forget the Tate City route. The parking has nothing to recommend it and the trail is partially like swinging from tree to tree.

flemdawg1
04-11-2012, 17:40
There's a hiker's lot inside the campground. I parked there 4 days in the fall without problem, YMMV.

Gray Blazer
04-11-2012, 19:43
People and I leave their car at Deep Gap and Rock Gap for several days. You don't, I repeat, don't leave stuff sitting out where people looking in can see it. Your car can be broken into anywhere. You do have insurance, right?

JaxHiker
04-14-2012, 11:57
I've left my truck at Deep Gap for days on end and never had a problem.

JustADude
04-21-2012, 08:33
Reporting back. Left the car at Deep Gap for 3 days and got shuttled around to Neels Gap with no problems. It was good to hike NOBO and come across the thru hikers also going NOBO.

JaxHiker
04-22-2012, 20:57
So did you enjoy the hike?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2