PDA

View Full Version : My Sleep System: Critique If You Can

Darwin13
04-11-2012, 16:33
I have the warbonnet blackbird double layer 1.1 because I am 6' 6'' 230 lbs so i need a little support and what not. For a late March, early April start from Springer, I will be sleeping with the blackbird, a 20 degree sleeping bag, a insulated pad that fits in a pocket within the hammock so it does not move, thermal underwear for bottom and top, a hat and gloves and rain tarp. I sleep very hot. Am I really going to be cold ever if I dont have an expensive under guilt and top quilt etc?

kayak karl
04-11-2012, 17:19
what kind of insulated pad?

but no matter what, you got this fall and winter to test it out. everybody is different.

rhjanes
04-11-2012, 17:21
I'd test it out. The UQ makes a big difference! I have a 20 degree, 3/4 and was comfortable at 34 degrees with a CCF blue cheap pad also.

Stir Fry
04-11-2012, 17:33
You do need to test whatever you have to see if you are comfortable. March, April start you should plan and some nights in the high teens to the low 20. Not a lot, but you could get some. I would try an under qulit. I almost gave up on hammocking untill I found the under quilt.

Keek
04-16-2012, 17:13
For what it is worth at this point, once you hit the Smokies its all good. If you made it this far enjoy!

Ashman
04-16-2012, 17:17
Pads won't keep your shoulders warm unless you have some sort of extender system. Test, tweak, and test some more. The only way to find out is to tweak in the field. What works great for me may not for you.

dejoha
04-19-2012, 15:38
I used pads for a few years before I could afford an under quilt. They work great and some people swear by them all the time. Once I got an under quilt, however, it was hard to go back. The difference is in part comfort but also in convenience. Pads tend to shift and move a lot. With a double-layer hammock, you can put the pad between the layers, which really helps with pads shifting.

Like others have mentioned, I would recommend a pad extender (a silnylon sleeve where cut portions of a pad can be inserted to create a wider pad and cover your shoulders).

What I did was take a Walmart blue closed-cell foam pad and cut it in half. One half was turned to cover my shoulders, the other half was running from my butt and covered my upper legs. Some people glue or tape pads together.