PDA

View Full Version : How long can you go....

saimyoji
04-02-2005, 12:01
...staying on the trail? Whats the max number of days you can live on the trail without needing to spend the night in town/home? Popping in to town for resupply, then hitting the trail again is ok, so long as you don't sleep in town. Has anyone gone all the way GAME by only camping or staying in shelters? Is it much more common than I think?

The longest I've been out is a meager 5 days: camping out in Japan with a resupply trip on the third day.

saimyoji
04-02-2005, 12:03
I'm looking for people's experiences here, not a philosophical discussion on the theoretical possibilities of living on the trail. I know it is possible, but has anybody done it? For how long?

northernhkr
04-02-2005, 14:50
I once read about a guy who stayed out in the Sierra mts in California for 5 months every summer- he never left; he got packages sent to him a trail heads and spent every moment in the back country. It's totally possible, just not too comfortable. I guess it depends if you can rough it without real showers, beds, and food...

Peaks
04-02-2005, 17:04
Well, to give you a straight answer, the longest stretch I did between hostels or motels was Delaware Water Gap to Manchester Center, 23 days

Blue Jay
04-02-2005, 17:24
I've met a few guys over the years who have said that is what they have done, due to severe money limitations. A guy named Lost showed me how to dumpster dive. He said he got up to Mass. for only $300. He thought that was extravagant because once he walked across the country for that (he hitched through Iowa and Kansas). I always start out doing that, but when I get to roads the towns call to me. It's even worse now that I know what is in there. Sad to say, but last time I went through Maine I hit every one. Once I slept in beds two nights in a row, what a disgrace. I have been able to completely avoid multiple nights, but clearly towns are the addiction of the AT. Sometimes I think they kill more thruhikes than injury and homesickness combined.

weary
04-02-2005, 17:45
I'm looking for people's experiences here, not a philosophical discussion on the theoretical possibilities of living on the trail. I know it is possible, but has anybody done it? For how long?
I spent 30 straight days on the trail in 1991 when I walked the AT in Maine with my then 9-year-old grandson.
I wanted to minimize his town distractions so I stashed food at road crossings before we left home in mid July. It's the closest thing to a wilderness experience that I've had on the AT -- or anywhere. Jon built a fire most nights. For a month after I got home I would wake up at night thinking the red led on our bedroom VCR was a glowing coal from one of his fires.

Weary

rickb
04-02-2005, 17:48
For me the max was about a month-- from Damascus to Springer. And about a month again from the Cumberland Valley to Perisburg.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2005, 17:50
Blue Jay is right about the town stay thing. There are thru-hiker types in Damascus now that have been here 3 nights or more. Only 400 miles or so and they're wimping.

The Old Fhart
04-02-2005, 18:04
LW-"There are thru-hiker types in Damascus now that have been here 3 nights or more. Only 400 miles or so and they're wimping."Lone Wolf, I know you're not wimping, but how long have you stayed in Damascus? :D

Lone Wolf
04-02-2005, 18:06
3 years, 7 months.

A-Train
04-02-2005, 18:09
Blue Jay is right about the town stay thing. There are thru-hiker types in Damascus now that have been here 3 nights or more. Only 400 miles or so and they're wimping.

Probably cuz they did the 50 into town no?

Doctari
04-02-2005, 18:18
I suppose I've stayed out of town for 14 days. I should avoid towns, cause each time I stop, it takes a full day to start up again. Almost the same as when I first hit the trail.

Doctari.

magic_game03
04-02-2005, 18:55
most thru's will at one time or another carry about 6-8 days worth(20lbs) because they are unsure of some resupply ahead, though I don't think any point of the AT needs more than 3-4. that is more of a beginners fear than an endurance feat. On a more euduring side, EZ1 did carry 8-10 days worth accounting for the fact that he was 81 years old and only ate about a pound of dried food a day.

weary
04-02-2005, 19:07
most thru's will at one time or another carry about 6-8 days worth(20lbs) because they are unsure of some resupply ahead, though I don't think any point of the AT needs more than 3-4. that is more of a beginners fear than an endurance feat. On a more euduring side, EZ1 did carry 8-10 days worth accounting for the fact that he was 81 years old and only ate about a pound of dried food a day.
I doubt if many get through the 100-mile-wilderness with only 3-4 days supply. The White House Landing helps these days. But it's still a long ways, unless you hire a drop from folks like the Shaws in Monson. In '93 I did a leisurely 10 days, mostly because I had arranged a pick up from Baxter on a date certain and was a bit ahead of schedule.

Weary

Lone Wolf
04-02-2005, 20:26
A-Train, doing 50 into Damascus in 24 hours is no big deal. I did 40 in less than 12 hours. Nothing to it.

Jack Tarlin
04-02-2005, 20:37
Weary is correct. Most folks take 6-7 days to get from Monson to Abol Bridge. Other stretches that require more than 3-4 days are (at least for most folks):

*If you don't plan to go into Franklin, you'll need 5-6 days to get from
Hiawassee to the NOC.

*If you don't go into Gatlinburg, it'll take most folks 5-6 days to get thru the
Smokies

*It takes most folks the best part of five days to get from Hot Springs to
Erwin.

*If you don't go into Roan Mt. or Elk Park, it takes 5-6 days to get from
Erwin to Kincora

*If you don't go into Troutdale, you'll need 5-6 to get from Damascus to
Rural Retreat/Atkins

*Pearisburg to Catawba takes most folks 5 days

*Glasgow to Waynesboro takes 5-6 days

*If you don't plan to go into North Woodstock, you'll want to bring at least
5-6 days of food from Glencliff

*Gorham to Andover takes 5 days for lots of folks.

*If you don't plan on going to Rangeley, you'll want 5-6 days worth to get
from Andover to Statton.

While some of these 5-6 day stretches can be broken up or avoided, there will absolutely be times when you will need to carry this much food. To say that this will only happen in the 100-mile Wilderness is, for the vast majority of folks, an untrue statement.

Thumper 2006
04-03-2005, 01:38
As a southbounder I was wondering if I should get supplies for the 100 mile wilderness in Medway or Millinocket, and also what is the deal with white house landing will they hold maildrop etc. Thanks

Peaks
04-03-2005, 09:21
As a southbounder I was wondering if I should get supplies for the 100 mile wilderness in Medway or Millinocket, and also what is the deal with white house landing will they hold maildrop etc. Thanks

If you are a SOBO, I would recommend bringing food with you from home.

PS: Not much in Medway other than a gas station and motel.

Jaybird
04-03-2005, 09:28
...staying on the trail? Whats the max number of days you can live on the trail without needing to spend the night in town/home? Popping in to town for resupply, then hitting the trail again is ok, so long as you don't sleep in town. Has anyone gone all the way GAME by only camping or staying in shelters? Is it much more common than I think?
The longest I've been out is a meager 5 days: camping out in Japan with a resupply trip on the third day.

my LONG stretch was 14 days...thus far...

i usually time mail-drops or town visits every 7 to 10 days....

i'm out (this section hike) for 23 days with only 1 scheduled stop in Damascus.... :D

see ya'll out there: APR 28-MAY 20 Hot Springs,NC to Pearisburg,VA

Jack Tarlin
04-03-2005, 12:47
Wonderer:

*Millinocket has a large supermarket

*White House Landing will hold mail and parcels for its guests, tho you should
probably check with them first. (207)745-5116 They also have limited
food for sale, probably enough to get you from there to Monson

Jaybird
04-03-2005, 13:40
Hey Jack!

R we gonna see you out on the trail this year, anywhere???

or maybe hanging out @ an Outfitter's store somewhere???

:confused:

Jack Tarlin
04-03-2005, 13:57
Will be in Hot Springs for the rest of this week. Then to Erwin, then to points South. I'll certainly be in Damascus for Trail Days, Jaybird, so maybe I'll see you there.

TakeABreak
04-03-2005, 22:49
I have done a few 12 and 14 day's without staying in a town, the biggest thing that I stayed in town for was to do laundry, wash the sleeping bag and get a real shower. camp soap just does get a person clean enough, next time I will Dr, Bronner's I have found it does a better job of cleaning away sweat.

On my next thru hike I am going to try and figure it out to where I camp a couple of mile outside of town, go in, in the morning get my mail drop, pay someone to let me take a shower, do laundry and clean the sleeping every couple of weeks. i want to do the whole one year without riding in a vehicle or staying in town over night.

Pencil Pusher
04-04-2005, 19:17
22 days without resupply would be my longest. No cars, towns, roads, running water. Up yonder in Alaska, nearabouts SMS's current hideout from the IRS.

magic_game03
04-04-2005, 20:31
Baltimore Jack,

if you chose to skip the white house landing it's your choice, but no matter it still exist. therefore you could do the 30 into the white house and the 60 on the back side. hence, you only need the 3-4 days supply even for a beginner. anyone can make a long distance resupply a longer distance so I disagree with Weary.

weary
04-04-2005, 21:43
Baltimore Jack,

if you chose to skip the white house landing it's your choice, but no matter it still exist. therefore you could do the 30 into the white house and the 60 on the back side. hence, you only need the 3-4 days supply even for a beginner. anyone can make a long distance resupply a longer distance so I disagree with Weary.
Well, maybe a Weary in 1993, but I don't think a Weary who will be 76 in a less than a month can do it in 3-4 day supply.

You can mail a package to White House landing for a price (kind of stiff price, actually). But it is not a realistic resupply, otherwise. Neither is the store at Abol Bridge, the only resupply into Baxter and Katahdin's summit. From White House north the "wilderness" is a piece of cake. The hard part is long past before one gets there north bound.

Weary www.matlt.org

Rocks 'n Roots
04-05-2005, 00:53
Something like 12-14 days. My Lowe Expedition pack has two external supplemental saddle packs that strap on to the compression straps on the side. Looks like two Space Shuttle boosters. I loaded these and carried the weight wherever possible to stay on the Trail the longest. Probably not too bright comfort-wise, but makes for long on-trail stretches.

Our only resupply on the John Muir Trail was Mammoth and we didn't stay.