PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiker study giving away outfitter gift cards.

FreeWilly
04-12-2012, 10:58
Hello fellow thru-hikers! I've started my hike March 6th and have made some great progress on through to Hampton, TN. However I wish I could say the same thing with my study on the Endurance of Long Distance Hikers.

I'm working on my thesis this year and desperately need hikers to participate in the study online. As a thank you to hikers I'm giving out some gift cards for REI, Campmor and Travel Country through random drawings. Some of these cards will be worth $500! The study can be located online at www.HikerSurvey.com (http://www.HikerSurvey.com). I welcome everyone to participate as the surveys will only take 5 to 10 minutes each while you're in town. Please check it out as soon as you can.

Also, it is possible if you are on the trail now somewhere between Standing Bear and Hampton then you may see me doing some trail magic along the way. I've got this rental car for a week and some time to kill. Hope to see you up the trail!

~ Jaws

RWheeler
04-12-2012, 11:21
As a soon-to-be-attempting-thru-hiker and a man of science, I'll gladly take this survey. I remember how hard it was for me to finish up my dissertation.

Best of luck in both ventures!

RWheeler
04-12-2012, 11:22
Errr, now that I look at the page again, I feel that it'll be much better for me to fill it out after I hike. But I'll bookmark it!

RWheeler
04-12-2012, 11:33
Scratch that, I realized that there's the pre-screening data and such that I can work on now. But I was trying to fill in my physical condition and ran into an issue. I'm 6'0, but in the "inches" drop-down, there's no 0, and leaving it blank gives a prompt to enter height. I figured I'd bring it to your attention before I just enter 5'11 or 6'1, as others might have the same issue as well.

Spirit Walker
04-12-2012, 12:10
Is it only for current thruhikers?

MyName1sMud
04-12-2012, 16:45
^ It appears to be.

rickb
04-12-2012, 18:48
Seems rather odd to ask for someone's full name, address and birth date without clearly sharing one's own name and institutional affiliation.

Perhaps I missed it or that comes after you give your own.

I not suggesting that anything nefarious is afoot, but my guess is that a great many people will self select out of this poll for that reason alone.

FreeWilly
04-21-2012, 08:32
Seems rather odd to ask for someone's full name, address and birth date without clearly sharing one's own name and institutional affiliation.Perhaps I missed it or that comes after you give your own. I not suggesting that anything nefarious is afoot, but my guess is that a great many people will self select out of this poll for that reason alone.My name, institution and thesis chair are on the consent form, that's right after the email and name registration page. Also thanks to the poster who found the height problem. I did fix that for future participants. Thanks for the comments and feedback folks