PDA

View Full Version : you don't need 2000 miles for a certificate

Easyhiker
12-19-2002, 11:32
The GATC is giving certificates out for those that Thru-Hike Georgia ...... check it out on their site:

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/

MedicineMan
12-23-2002, 02:27
reality is that most will never do a thru hike, and reality is that most will never section hike the whole trail....but for even those who complete just one section praise should be given if for the reasons of health, excercise,etc. If someone completes a section, even just one, then the chances are that they will support this thing we love and cherish....so maybe there should be some banner,title,patch,kudos,whatever that is more attainable and the certificate that the GATC offers is a prime examble which should be followed by those in other states.
Years ago in our Boy Scout Council we had a patch with a worn out boot. If you did the sections in our area (Damascus to Sam's Gap) you got a little patch that fit around the boot patch, upon completion the entire patch was complete...it was a good carot to chase for young boy scouts working on camping and hiking merit badges. So I would like to see patches from each state the trail passes through and a bigger patch it would encompass towards completion. This is another idea for WhiteBlaze.net to possibly embrace and SELL, and again I ask where are those hiking WhiteBlaze t-shirts Sgt.Rock?

Peaks
12-23-2002, 08:36
I'd like to see the ATC sell "rockers" or segments to go around the ATC patch, one for every 14 states. You "earn" one by completing each state.

MOWGLI
12-24-2002, 08:23
I sent away for the GA patch & certificate. Its nice to have although its sitting in a box somewhere with my 2000 mile patch & certificate. In that same box are many photos (I shot mainly slides), receipts, business cards, and assorted memorabilia from my hike. Someday when I have some time I hope to put together a nice album as a keepsake. Then again, someday I hope to do another long distance hike. I wonder what'll get put together first...

veteran
12-24-2002, 17:51
I found a site that has rocker patches for sale. Thru-Hiker, Purist,Flip-Flopper and
2000-Miler.

http://www.tfn.net/~bob1/index.html