PDA

View Full Version : Planning 3 day 2 night hike

Jstevens
04-13-2012, 06:41
Hello,

Myself and a friend have 3 days off and would like to do a 60 miles section of AT. We live in the East TN area and was looking ideas of where to start and stop?

Jeff

daddytwosticks
04-13-2012, 07:12
What sort of hiking shape are you in? Three 20 mile days may be a bit much. :)

MyName1sMud
04-13-2012, 10:15
What sort of hiking shape are you in? Three 20 mile days may be a bit much. :)

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Might won't to drop it down by about 20 miles.

fredmugs
04-13-2012, 13:18
Drive to Damascus and get shuttled 60 miles north - maybe Mt Rogers HQ. Don't listen to these "old guys." My first section hike last year was 74 miles thru GSMNP in 2 days.

Jstevens
04-19-2012, 22:12
Drive to Damascus and get shuttled 60 miles north - maybe Mt Rogers HQ. Don't listen to these "old guys." My first section hike last year was 74 miles thru GSMNP in 2 days.

I am 41 and run, bike, and/or lift 6 days a week. I have done several trail races 13 or miles each as well as 6 hours endurance mountain bike races.

Papa D
04-19-2012, 22:25
I am 41 and run, bike, and/or lift 6 days a week. I have done several trail races 13 or miles each as well as 6 hours endurance mountain bike races.

I'm sure you can do 20 mile days - sort of depends on who is going with you and what your goals are - - if you are around Damascus start there and try to make it south to Elk Park, NC - this is where Mountain Harbor Hostel is - it's 75 miles total, but remember, what you are planning is NOT a leisurely hike - - it is a fitness expedition - - respectfully, you will be "out to prove something" more or less - - this is something I do for myself a lot (so I'm not picking on you) - - I've done 100 mile weekends which have included night-hiking and lots of ibuprofen to prove things to myself. If you and your friends are looking to have a FUN and spirited hike, plan on 3 days at about 14 miles each day - Maybe Damascus to Hampton, TN - ? - - - this is still a totally respectable hiking day but will give you a little time to relax and enjoy yourselves.

Jstevens
04-19-2012, 22:36
I'm sure you can do 20 mile days - sort of depends on who is going with you and what your goals are - - if you are around Damascus start there and try to make it south to Elk Park, NC - this is where Mountain Harbor Hostel is - it's 75 miles total, but remember, what you are planning is NOT a leisurely hike - - it is a fitness expedition - - respectfully, you will be "out to prove something" more or less - - this is something I do for myself a lot (so I'm not picking on you) - - I've done 100 mile weekends which have included night-hiking and lots of ibuprofen to prove things to myself. If you and your friends are looking to have a FUN and spirited hike, plan on 3 days at about 14 miles each day - Maybe Damascus to Hampton, TN - ? - - - this is still a totally respectable hiking day but will give you a little time to relax and enjoy yourselves.

good point about trying to prove something. (we are not) I like the 14 miles a day thing better. I would like to enjoy myself and get a feel for hiking more days as time permits. Damascus to Hampton might be perfect. How many miles do you think that is? Do we need to bring everything or is there a place to replace food?

Jeff

bwburgin1015
05-10-2012, 12:37
The problem with 20 mile days is that it's hard to enjoy the scenery!

hmkr
05-11-2012, 01:37
I've done 17 miles day hike before, was fun but not something I want to do 3 days in a row.

Veetack
05-11-2012, 02:59
Just did a 14.6 and a 17.4 back to back and enjoyed it so much that I'm going out monday to do another 32 mile overnight. Just depends on your comfortable pace.

hunter121
05-11-2012, 04:36
Outstanding thread, thanks all for joining. I'll visit often.
http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/act.jpg
http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/lk.jpg