PDA

View Full Version : Trail Logic

Wilbur05
04-13-2012, 16:04
I am a librarian in Washington County, Virginia (near Damascus) and I have an unusual request. I have a request from someone who is looking for a book for her brother who is hiking the AT. She thought it was called "Trail Logic" but I can't find anything by that title that matches her description. Here's how she describes the book:
It is apparently a book designed to give through-hikers something to think about while they're walking; so they read a problem, or riddle, or something in the morning, think about it all day, then look in the back for the answer in the evening.
Does this sound familiar to anyone out there? If you know anything about this (or something like it) could you email me directly: [email protected].
Many thanks,
Wilbur

d.o.c
04-13-2012, 16:21
i want one if it is out there... for some reason i feel like ive heard about this once befor.. hmmm

Spokes
04-13-2012, 17:51
I'd like to get one too!

rocketsocks
04-13-2012, 19:06
I'd like to get one too!Appalachian trail;A phycological and emotional guide to hiking the appalachian trail by Zach Davis.....try that!

rocketsocks
04-13-2012, 21:15
Appalachian trail;A psychological and emotional guide to hiking the appalachian trail by Zach Davis.....try that!Incidentally Zach Davis's trail name is "The Good Badger" http://zrdavis.com/

English Stu
04-18-2012, 09:22
Possibly Trail Magic close to logic.

English Stu
04-18-2012, 15:41
Possibly Trail Magic close to logic.
Seems it is -Trail Magic: Reports From Braid - Joe Liles' Appalachian Trail Hike

Red Hat
04-18-2012, 16:29
but Braid's book doesn't seem to fit the description in the original post....

Red Hat
04-18-2012, 16:48
and neither does Badger's. both are probably good AT books, but do not fit the description....

Astro
04-19-2012, 11:23
Zach Davis's (Good Badge) book is Appalachian Trials: A Psychological and Emotional Guide To Thru-Hike the Appalachian Trail (Volume 1). It is a very good book addressing the pyschologyical aspects of an AT Thru-hike. Quick easy read, with lots of practical insights. Only $9.35 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trials-Psychological-Emotional-Thru-Hike/dp/0985090103/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334848724&sr=1-1

Jefe
04-19-2012, 13:03
I found this: A Walker's Companion. There are other websites that have the same thing, search under Hiking Puzzles, but I think this is what they were looking for. http://www.amazon.com/The-Walkers-Companion-Think-Book/dp/186105825X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334854773&sr=1-4#_

rocketsocks
04-19-2012, 13:19
I found this: A Walker's Companion. There are other websites that have the same thing, search under Hiking Puzzles, but I think this is what they were looking for. http://www.amazon.com/The-Walkers-Companion-Think-Book/dp/186105825X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334854773&sr=1-4#_Ding Ding ing ing ing ,we have a winner .Yep I think you have found it ,good job!that also looks pretty cool.

Jefe
04-19-2012, 13:23
Ding Ding ing ing ing ,we have a winner .Yep I think you have found it ,good job!that also looks pretty cool.

Thank you, thank you. Now I want to get it. :) Maybe find one to put on my iPod Touch. I'm still searching the multiverse for others...

Spokes
04-19-2012, 15:52
Click on the Amazon sellers link. You can pick up a used copy for pennies plus shipping. I'd try avoiding the sellers from the United Kingdom for quicker service.....

rocketsocks
04-19-2012, 17:39
Click on the Amazon sellers link. You can pick up a used copy for pennies plus shipping. I'd try avoiding the sellers from the United Kingdom for quicker service.....Picked up a copy for $1.99+$3.99 S&H for a place in NY.I have had extremely good sevice and books that were correctly labled as good,execlent.from Barnes & Noble used books.last year a copy of Colin Fletchers "The river" and the no longer pulished "The Thousnd mile summer"all came in a timely,and promised condition and shape.Good service!look forward to reading "The Walkers"a think book.sounds cool.

max patch
04-19-2012, 17:44
While the book does sound like an interesting read I don't think it is the one the OP is looking for.

Jefe
04-19-2012, 19:26
While the book does sound like an interesting read I don't think it is the one the OP is looking for.

I disagree

Red Hat
04-19-2012, 20:12
maybe not, but it sure is closer than any of the other suggestions....

rocketsocks
04-19-2012, 20:16
The search and,now debate continue.

fiddlehead
04-19-2012, 23:32
Mmmmm. this whole thing makes me wonder about the future and books.
It's nice to recommend a book and either go to a library or find a used copy, at a good price online.
But, this will all (most likely) become a thing of the past with e-books being the norm for new books now.

I don't own a kindle and don't want one. I live where it rains a lot and it's so hard on electronics.
I like to trade books with friends and we have a bit of a community going on here doing just that.
I imagine I'll have to eventually get one though as I like to read.

Are books going to go the way of maps, records/tapes, phonebooks, checkbooks, payphones, film, etc. and be museum pieces some day instead of something we use everyday?

rocketsocks
04-19-2012, 23:58
Mmmmm. this whole thing makes me wonder about the future and books.
It's nice to recommend a book and either go to a library or find a used copy, at a good price online.
But, this will all (most likely) become a thing of the past with e-books being the norm for new books now.

I don't own a kindle and don't want one. I live where it rains a lot and it's so hard on electronics.
I like to trade books with friends and we have a bit of a community going on here doing just that.
I imagine I'll have to eventually get one though as I like to read.

Are books going to go the way of maps, records/tapes, phonebooks, checkbooks, payphones, film, etc. and be museum pieces some day instead of something we use everyday?Fiddlehead,couldn't agree more.Two days ago I got a virus on my computer,that had been acting up(blue screen eerors).I bought a cheap little lap top for a couple beans.It came with a Nook for PC,cool,I never coincided getting a kindle or any kind of E-book.But I'm shopping around last night ,giving it a test run,and was able to down load for free a couple books,one on coal mining(an area of interest for me)and the ACM White Mt. guide,so for S***and giggles there on my computer to explore when ever desire.Not sure where is new way of getting information will lead for me,but for now I'm giving it a trial run.But all this said "There is no thing like a good book.Incidental that "The Walkers" a think Book I'm getting is a regular Ole book,and would be glad to throw it in the lending Libra for whom ever would like to read it,give me a PM if interested.Cheers RS:sun

rocketsocks
04-20-2012, 00:06
And as you can see,having a little trouble with the new keys and spell check,it has a mind of it's own.LOL:rolleyes:I'm rieiley nota tellable spellar.;)

rocketsocks
04-30-2012, 09:57
*Update*
The Walker's Companion......A think Book!

I received the little book(8"x5") the other day,and am very pleased not only with the price ($1.99 used)it's condition and timely delivery but all the witty content.I'd like to preface this post by saying I do not no If this is in fact the book that the OP is looking for,but none the less it is a very interesting book and if you like to walk and think about all things that relate to walking in a very abstract and out side the box way it's worth the chuckles.Let me tell you what this book is,by first telling you the book starts out by telling you what it is not.It is not a book of how to walk or of how to get from point A to B.It asks and answers such questions as how many feet does a centipede have?,how long would it take to walk to the moon?how can you learn to walk on your hands.The book has many reoccurring section titles,they include;Mad for Walking,Walking Words,Bare Facts,and under the heading Rambling Riddles,where through out the book you are asked Riddles(19)and the answers are on page #153,just to name a few.The page numbers have even been include,not just for signifying the page(I found this most interesting)they are the answer to many questions,Ex.on page #153 it says,The page number in this book you shouldn't look at first.And on page 99,The % of ankle sprains that affect the outside or lateral ligaments.Under one of the short stories in the Mad for Walking section,Emma(Grandma) Gatewood's story is told as she is deemed under this heading of unusually large walking feats,"Mad for Walking".This book requires that the reader not invest a tremendous amount of time and effort to read,it is concise,witty,interesting,sharp,informative and fun,I give this little book a "Big Toes up"And would recommend to anyone interested in anything and everything that is Literally Walking.And remember do not go to page #153 first,unless you want the answers to the 19 Rambling Riddles. This book has 155 pages edited by Malcom Tait and Team,published by Think publishing,The Pall Mall Deposit 124-128 Barlby Road,London W10 6BL www.thinkpublishing.co.uk (http://www.thinkpublishing.co.uk) also see an interesting web site www.ramblers.org.uk (http://www.ramblers.org.uk) a group of(as the address suggests) Walkers in the Unighted Kingdom.