PDA

View Full Version : Trailhead at TN143 and NC261

Rightfoot
04-14-2012, 09:26
I would like to begin a NOBO section hike south of the Overmountain Shelter where the trail crosses TN 143 and NC261. Looking at my map this seems to be the same highway just a different route number due to the change in states. If I am coming from Erwin, can someone help me out with a decent set of directions? Is the trailhead obvious? Is there parking there or at least a pull off so I can get dropped off?

Regards,
Rightfoot

Emerson Bigills
04-14-2012, 09:41
Yes. it is the same road. The point at the state line is Carver's Gap. You cannot miss it. There is some parking and usually there are some tourists milling around. You drive up, get to Carver's Gap, see the signs welcoming you to NC and drive back down. I will defer to some of the more local folks to guide you from Erwin, as I have only come up to the Gap from the town of Roan Mtn, through the State Park. Pretty easy to follow.

I have parked many times for dayhikes at Carver's Gap, but for any overnight activity I always catch a shuttle from the folks at Mtn Harbour Hostel and leave my car in their lot.

I don't think there is a better place to hike in the SE, than the Roan Highlands. Sepctacular. I go back every year.