PDA

View Full Version : trash storage what do you do?

Hall Pass
04-14-2012, 10:44
I am curious on how you store trash in a long hike. I have used ziplock bags and put it in my outside pocket in my osprey pack. But after awhile it smelled bad and takes up a lot if space.

Toolumpy
04-14-2012, 11:08
I use a small waterproof sea to summit bag bag,. no leakage. Outside bag or on top under fanny pack

Fiddleback
04-14-2012, 11:13
Plan meals and repackage food with an eye towards reducing trash. FBC'ing is especially helpful in keeping refuse down...I seldom have anything other than empty baggies to carry out.

FB

Pedaling Fool
04-14-2012, 11:20
I don't understand having too much trash and definitely don't understand having stinky trash. I don't go into town too much, compared to most, usually stay out for at least 7-10 days between town stops and I still don't have a problem with excess trash, which is mostly just plastic and it doesn't stink because it's not mixed with food nor is it wet. I simply keep my trash in a plastic baggie in my foodbag. I do once in a while carry teabag-style coffee, but I bury them under the leaf litter. Can't imagine what else in the way of organic trash (causes stink) would be kept.

atmilkman
04-14-2012, 11:32
I don't understand having too much trash and definitely don't understand having stinky trash. I don't go into town too much, compared to most, usually stay out for at least 7-10 days between town stops and I still don't have a problem with excess trash, which is mostly just plastic and it doesn't stink because it's not mixed with food nor is it wet. I simply keep my trash in a plastic baggie in my foodbag. I do once in a while carry teabag-style coffee, but I bury them under the leaf litter. Can't imagine what else in the way of organic trash (causes stink) would be kept.
Ditto on this. You shouldn't have stinky garbage to speak of. If your packing say something like tuna fish foil packets then just rinse the packet with water and drink it. Same goes for just about anything else, rinse and drink. May sound a little "yukky" now but you'll get used to it. repack in baggies when possible, then put packets and baggies in a big baggie in your food bag.

Slo-go'en
04-14-2012, 12:43
Trash goes in a zip lock and stays in the food bag. This is S.O.P. Most of my trash is wrapers of one kind or another.

The Cleaner
04-14-2012, 12:46
Great post&replies.Too bad many hikers still use firepits as trashcans....

Papa D
04-14-2012, 13:15
Most of my meals are in zip-lock type bags stored inside my granite gear or sea to summit food bag - occasionally, there is a plastic grocery bag. Most of the small paper and packaging resulting from a completed meal just goes back into the ziplock. After 3 or 4 days, I work on consolidating it a bit - perhaps all stuffed into one or two of the zip-locks. When I get to a road crossing with a campground, rest area, dumpster, etc. I unload the trash - - I always try to save and re-use the zip-locks for as long as I can - - occasionally one that has something sticky inside - oil, cheese juice, etc. gets trashed.

At re-supplies, I occasionally buy zip-locks. I usually have better than half a box to give away to the first nice old man or lady I see. Rides back to the trail have also been scored with this little nicety.

There is NO reason to ever dispose of your waste in a privy, or in a fire pit. If you make more food than you can eat, you are not hiking enough. On extremely rare occasions (i.e. cleaning up some thoughtless louse's ruined, dumped and discarded meal near a shelter, or in a fire pit) I have resorted to burial or said gross matter. In this rare instance, I have transported the mess WAY away from the campsites and water sources and dug a deep hole down into the dirt with a rock and covered in with soil very deep. If you hike a lot, you will eventually run into a mess that you have to deal with like this - - I would say it happens once every 1000 miles or so though. I think "we" are sort of obliged to do what we can to maintain the trail(s) but when you happen upon someone else's shrimp newburg and scrambled eggs dumped on the firepit (which had happened to me) - you just do the best you can.

Funkmeister
04-14-2012, 14:36
For solo hiking, I've tried the 'trash compactor' approach. Save something like what the 4x2qt Crystal Lite powder comes in. Jam trash inside, keep in 1 qt freezer bag for extra protection. Empty when convenient, reuse plastic Crystal Lite container till end of trip. Works well for one person, not so much for larger groups.

Hall Pass
04-14-2012, 14:57
Too much " trash" comes from 2 people.just trying to figure out what everyone does to make life easier. Sorry you don't understand

Hall Pass
04-14-2012, 14:59
Not trying to be mean just looking for solutions.

Pedaling Fool
04-14-2012, 15:07
Not trying to be mean just looking for solutions.I wouldn't worry about people's feelings; we're all idiots and we need to just learn how to accept the truth:D

I guess to give solutions we'd (at least me) would have to know more details. If you got trash for two people than why isn't the other person carrying some? How much time between town stops? Can you give an itemized list of trash?

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head, just never thought about it too much.

MuddyWaters
04-14-2012, 15:44
ziplock, and goes in food bag. How hard is that? You can carry 7 days food but not 7days trash ***?

Hall Pass
04-14-2012, 17:58
Thankyou for reading my orginal post but I already use ziplock bags. Trying to see if anyone does anything else

MuddyWaters
04-14-2012, 18:37
Well, a few folks try to burn it in fires but that is a bad thing to do. Most never burns all the way. Paper and plastic can burn all the way if you take the time and attention to do so, burying it in coals. Some things burn all the way, but the foil lining in most packages doesnt and leaves aluminum foil debris in the fire ring. Seems I always find the trash uncaring people leave behind. I usually then burn what burns, then pack out the rest . Its a shame some people are too lazy to pack an empty 0.3 oz can with them. I dont burn mine, I just pack it out. In a ziplock or 2, or 3, in my foodbag, inside my odor-resistant liner or opsak.

Not sure what the other possibilities could be??? I dont see how space could be an issue. Your trash has to take up a fraction of the space the food it came from did. Unless you simply dont want it inside your food bag or pack and dont have the room on the outside. I pretty much can get 3 days trash in a quart ziplockwithout resorting to excessive force, so at most I end up with 2 used quart freezer bags full of trash for a week. A lot smaller than the foodbag I started with.! (and a lot lighter)

Odd Man Out
04-14-2012, 18:38
My daughter was so proud of how little garbage two people made in two days she posed for a picture with it. And we weren't being very UL. I even carried an onion.

garlic08
04-14-2012, 19:02
I also pack (and eat) with an eye for minimizing the trash. I just don't carry wet, smelly stuff anymore. I repackage the stuff I can't buy in bulk in ziplocks and reuse the ziplocks. I once fit all the trash from a 160-mile hike into the empty peanut butter jar. I learned how to do this by going through exactly what the OP is going through now, so I think it's a great question.

MuddyWaters
04-14-2012, 19:37
The things that smell the worst after a couple of days of warm temps are generally proteins. Tuna, chicken , anything with wet milk protein in it.

Licking those things clean, or rinsing them with re-hydration water helps minimize smells.

Pedaling Fool
04-14-2012, 21:16
Ok, I'll bite...what's re-hydration water?

Spokes
04-14-2012, 21:34
I am curious on how you store trash in a long hike. I have used ziplock bags and put it in my outside pocket in my osprey pack. But after awhile it smelled bad and takes up a lot if space.

Takes up a lot of space because the bags are way too small. Try using the 2- 2.5 gallon ziplock bags. The extra space allows you to compress your trash more and it will fit better inside or outside your pack.

Del Q
04-14-2012, 21:47
I learned something, of course a simple on, rinse out tuna pak's with water and drink, on my most recent hike the tuna with oil was great, done with salmon - not enough calories for the weight. I eat the SPAM single serving containers for roughage.

MuddyWaters
04-14-2012, 22:07
Ok, I'll bite...what's re-hydration water?

I was referring to water you use to re-hydrate dried foods , pasta, rice, etc. ie freezer bag cooking. maybe I could have called it cooking water? Not sure what else I could have called it.

Pedaling Fool
04-14-2012, 22:16
Cooking water sounds good to me.

jelloitsalive
04-14-2012, 22:48
Just throw it on the ground

rocketsocks
04-15-2012, 02:12
I was referring to water you use to re-hydrate dried foods , pasta, rice, etc. ie freezer bag cooking. maybe I could have called it cooking water? Not sure what else I could have called it.eh,hmm........muddy water?

Bonepile2
04-15-2012, 08:51
One time when I was on a Boy Scout camping trip, the scoutmaster cooked up some spaghetti for the troop to eat. It was pretty awful, but I was pretty hungry so it was edible. My buddy just kept stirring his around in his dish and asked me "What do we do with our garbage?" I said "you eat it."

Hawkwind61
04-15-2012, 10:46
Takes up a lot of space because the bags are way too small. Try using the 2- 2.5 gallon ziplock bags. The extra space allows you to compress your trash more and it will fit better inside or outside your pack.
Yes. I always pack a couple of the larger ones just for trash. I rinse out the bags I used for my meals and stuff them in the larger ziplock which is stored in a small water-proof stuff sack.

Chaco Taco
04-15-2012, 21:25
Silly

Ziplocs are the most feasible on a thru. I pan the stuff in a ziplock and press the air out for extra compactability. Sometime when you get to road crossings or trailheads, people will take your trash for you or there will be trashcans. This really isn't a big deal. The "smell" isn't from your trash, its from putting food in your bag town day after town day and not washing it out. I have always managed to get my trash into a quart sized trash bag, store it in my food bag, not in my pack. If I run out of room, I consolidate my food bag to free up another ziploc

Other option, sharp a sealed trash can to your pack.

SunnyWalker
05-14-2012, 21:47
Carry it out and look for a garbage can is the thing we all agree on. If you try to bury it you could be breaking a law and also the LNT principle. There have been times I put the ziplock bag and stuff i picked up in a store bag tied to outside of pack. However, i would not recommend it.

shelb
05-14-2012, 22:15
The things that smell the worst after a couple of days of warm temps are generally proteins. Tuna, chicken , anything with wet milk protein in it.

Licking those things clean, or rinsing them with re-hydration water helps minimize smells.

This is the key! Then bag up anything that contained these items.

WIAPilot
05-14-2012, 23:22
Have you checked out those biodegradable odorless bags?

http://www.slideshare.net/odorno/biodegradable-odorless-bags

B.B.
05-15-2012, 20:52
We use recycled walmart sacks. Just tie it on the outside of pack. Usually find a garbage can every 3-5 days. Haven't really had a problem with odor. Just be sure you hang the trash with your food at night.

jakedatc
05-16-2012, 11:29
Have you checked out those biodegradable odorless bags?

http://www.slideshare.net/odorno/biodegradable-odorless-bags

except you want something that is sealed and sturdy enough to survive in your pack for a few days until you can get to a trash. i don't know why he's having odor problems.. a good freezer bag ziplock should contain that.

i put my trash in the first nights freezer bag. then that gets all the air pushed out and it goes in the next nights bag along with that days trash. etc etc. so you never have to open up an old bag and it stays contained.

turtle fast
05-16-2012, 11:50
Zip lock bags again, sometimes too the bags that products come in too works well like Craisins or beef jerkey that is resealable. But like a lot of others said here its important to compress the air out of the trashbag as much as possible, and then put into a larger ziplock bag and seal. I used this for tuna,and other smellable trash and works well.

peakbagger
05-16-2012, 13:17
I guess I am a "caveman" and dont have any issues with burning polyethylene bags and tuna pouches on a hot fire. The key is that the fire has to be hot with some coals, not a pile of kindling stacked up under the packages. I do this at night and in the AM I pick up the foil liners from my tuna pack while I am checking to see if the fire is completely out. I also usually end up with far more foil as most folks seem to think that aluminum foil will burn in a wood fire. I am careful not to burn PVC which does give off toxic fumes. I dont do this every night and carry the trash in double ziplocks until I am at a campsite where there is a legit fire ring. The trash can get pretty "ripe" in hot weather and critters seem to be able to smell it right through a ziplock.

jakedatc
05-16-2012, 14:00
Which is fine for places that allow fires but CT for example does not allow them. not sure what other states along the way have fire bans. Also it's best if you only have campfires at sites or shelters with a designated fire pit. so if you're tenting in between that isn't an option.

Nutbrown
05-16-2012, 18:34
If your trash stinks, walk faster.