PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountians Mountian Lion on American DIgger (Spike TV)

rickb
04-14-2012, 20:38
Lion footage begins at the 8 minute 30 mark or so +/-.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/9axt23/american-digger-sneak-peek-cherokee-treasure-trove

Looks legit, but the cache of arrow heads they rotto tilled up makes me wonder if everything was staged.

But its on TV so it must be true.

Pedaling Fool
04-14-2012, 21:39
:-?Yeah, something looks fishy on that video

Pedaling Fool
04-14-2012, 22:02
Lion footage begins at the 8 minute 30 mark or so +/-.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/9axt23/american-digger-sneak-peek-cherokee-treasure-trove

Looks legit, but the cache of arrow heads they rotto tilled up makes me wonder if everything was staged.

But its on TV so it must be true.
How'd you come by this?

I just read up a little on American Digger and found out it's a new show on SPIKE TV, first aired March 21,2012. The episode in your link is just a sneak peek of the episode titled Cherokee Treasure Trove

The actual show will air Wed 18 April.

rickb
04-14-2012, 22:40
While cut away closeup of the mountian lion looked like it could have been B roll, the other shot had Ric in the forground with the mountain lion in the same frame.

Both man and beast moving and everthing was in focus-- not sure how they could have staged that.

Pedaling Fool
04-14-2012, 23:01
While cut away closeup of the mountian lion looked like it could have been B roll, the other shot had Ric in the forground with the mountain lion in the same frame.

Both man and beast moving and everthing was in focus-- not sure how they could have staged that.

You're right, I'm just being skeptical (overly cautious) I was just wondering about the quality of the video seemed to change at the scene with the ML, but like I said, I'm just being skeptical for now, until I learn more about it. I was also wondering why I haven't heard anything else about this, but then I noticed it was just uploaded yesterday and of course the episode airs this Wednesday.

rickb
04-14-2012, 23:17
I'm just being skeptical for now, until I learn more about it.

Well, the idea of a former professional wrestler (Ric Savage) heading off in the Smoky Mountains with a couple small garden tillers and finding a stash of arrow heads -- without visibly turning over any more dirt than you would for 2 tomato plants -- hardly helps build credibility.

That said, the segment with Rick and cat in the same frame looks very good doesn't it? I do find it believable that he and his crew could find such an experinece to be scarry and great TV, but not something any more noteworthy than if it were a big bear or crazed hog.

They are running promos that include the mountain lion on Spike TV now.

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2012, 10:16
That said, the segment with Rick and cat in the same frame looks very good doesn't it?Yes it does, I don't question that at all. Like I said I'm being more than skeptical, I'm being over cautious. But I'll be watching the show this Wednesday and looking for more news on this.

rickb
04-17-2012, 18:10

From the video....

Powder River
04-18-2012, 09:12
This is fake. Look at the camera work. In the first shot the camera is in front of him. Then it cuts to a perfect close up of the mountain lion. In the next cut the camera is behind him with the cat just yards away. If this guy was really that scared why did he wait around for the camera to reposition?

Kinnickinic
04-18-2012, 09:26
May_e the cameraman put himself _ehind the _iggest Digger for protection.

May_e the mountain lion is a trained actor.

In either case, for those who have never seen one, study it carefully. It is not a _ig housecat. It is not a _o_cat.

The story is likely not real; however, I think the cat is.

Kinnickinic

Pedaling Fool
04-18-2012, 10:00
The link in the OP is only a preview of a show (American Diggers) that will air for the first time tonight on Spike TV. I'm also somewhat skeptical, but will watch it tonight. I also have the same concern about video quality and such, but as the OP said in that one shot it does very much look like a ML in the background with Ric Savage in the foreground.

fredmugs
04-18-2012, 10:46
I saw a mountain lion just south of Newfound Gap last May as I was driving on 441. We also have a mountain lion on the military base I work at and if you get out to the remote sections riding a bike you can get lucky. Wayyyy scarier than the coyotes.

rickb
04-18-2012, 16:56
I did some googling and learned that the diggers out there think just about everything this guy finds is planted. They make a rather compelling case. I also learned that it is easy to rent a mountain lion in Georgia, but that the more responsible outfits require two wranglers per animal.

Sorry I started this thread. I am a cynic by nature, and today even more of one. Thats not good. I am going home arms going to track down the Piliated woodpecker that woke me up this am, and have my own brush with nature. I wish I could cancel Spike TV.

max patch
04-18-2012, 17:04
Don't be so cynical. The show has got to be as real as professional wrestling is.

Pedaling Fool
04-18-2012, 17:15
I also learned that it is easy to rent a mountain lion in Georgia, but that the more responsible outfits require two wranglers per animal.That thought actually crossed my mind as I was watching the video, that possibly it was domesticated since it seemed to just stand there very close. Not the typical response you hear about. But I'll still watch the show tonight to get a better feel for it. But it would not surprise me in the least if this was staged.

rjprince
04-23-2012, 10:32
Hitched a ride with a local just south of Fontana a few years ago and he told me that the locals were quite upset with NPS for trying to "quietly" reintroduce some predators into the park (GSM) to restore eco balance. He specifically complained about the mountain lions and wolves. Said that locals were taking matters into their own hands due do loss of farm animals on properties bordering the park. Said people he knew would drive to another town to mail the ears back to the NPS. The guy did NOT seem to be a few fries short of a complete happy meal and he relayed this info with no apparent alternative purpose other than to answer my questions about wildlife in the Smokies. I plan to do the two sections of the Smokies sobo in about a month. I live in Dahlonega about six miles from the AT and occasionally hear of Mt Lion sightings here. Don't know much about trick photography but fully accept the likelihood that the sighting was real.

rjprince
04-23-2012, 10:35
Oh, and BTW, he said that the NPS denies that they were releasing predators into the park, but cited the ears as proof.

MyName1sMud
04-23-2012, 11:52
hmmmmmmmm i'm going with it's all staged as it's on TV.

That is all.

haha