PDA

View Full Version : Our FIRST hike...

OBXWaMi
04-15-2012, 15:31
...was a huge success!
We hiked the southern half of the Neusiok Trail yesterday. My daughter, Kelsey (age 17) and my granddaughter, Olivia (age 6) went along. It was GREAT!
On Friday we hiked the 3/4 of a mile to the shelter and camped for the night. Yesterday we got up and were on the trail by 8:30. We hiked almost 13 miles and decided to drive home instead of camping out another night. Both girls were real troopers. It was Kelsely's very first time camping out! Olivia had camped with me in the yard and at a local campground, but none of us had ever hiked.
Olivia carried her own backpack with her sleeping pad and blanket, a change of clothes, bug spray, water and snacks. She even learned, quite successfully, to use my P-Style. I'm just worried about her talking about that at school tomorrow! LOL

Kelsey is a little sore today and I have blisters on the bottom of my feet, but we did fine. Olivia has a little blister between her toes because she insisted on wearing her flip-flops for the last 3 miles. Kelsey wore hers too, but she ALWAYS wears them--summer and winter.

I will be making a few gear changes, but I can't wait to go again!!!

AT here we come!!!

see photos from our trip here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2064936438670.60046.1702532990&type=1&l=b8d371acbd

--Michelle

Odd Man Out
04-15-2012, 16:52
+1 Good looking group! Love the snake. Took my daughter for two days of backpacking when she was about 17 (couple of years ago). Happy Trails

bigcranky
04-15-2012, 17:50
Nice pix. Great looking black snake. Looks like a fun trip, and *really* flat.