PDA

View Full Version : Who doesn't like a good storm?

rocketsocks
04-15-2012, 16:40
One of my all time favorite things to do is to take in a good thunderstorm.Is there some good science behind feeling good when an electricalstorm approaches?

Slo-go'en
04-15-2012, 16:55
Yes, all the negatively charged atoms flying around.

hikerboy57
04-15-2012, 17:10
One of my all time favorite things to do is to take in a good thunderstorm.Is there some good science behind feeling good when an electricalstorm approaches?
all depends on where i am. if im on top of a ridge, i heed the french battle cry"retreat!"
I saw a great one off MT madison last august with a rainbow in the foreground. Havent seen anything like it since i gave up hallucinogens.

ChinMusic
04-15-2012, 17:19
They ain't many things better on a trip that to be snug in your bag, have a good pitch on your tent, and mother nature puts on a show. Just the sound of rain on the tent is music to my ears.

rocketsocks
04-15-2012, 17:59
Growing up in Fort Wort Texas I saw a lot of big storms,used to scare the heck out of me.But then that changed as I got older,and now I can't wait for thunderstorm season.Heard something about the atoms and ionization,making a person feel good,very interesting.

MuddyWaters
04-15-2012, 21:04
As long as Im safe and dry, mother nature puts on a great show sometimes.

I was home from college one summer, probably 1985, fishing out on a llarge ake one evening near dusk when a thunderstorm came up. I retreated to the truck, but sat there for 45 min and watched the most incredible lightning show Ive ever seen. Lightning crackled across the sky out over the lake, combining with other lightning bolts like a spider web and lighting up the whole sky. Still havent seen anything to compare in the last 30 yrs.

oldbear
04-15-2012, 21:14
I guess if you're a Christian you can feel good about meeting Jesus soon
Me ?
I've been caught twice while hiking in too close for comfort lighting storms
Once on Franconia Ridge and once on the section of Boucher Trail Grand Canyon between the Dripping Springs jct and Yuma Point
In both cases ALL the hair on my body stood on end ;time to dump all the metal and do finger tips and toes push ups

shelb
04-15-2012, 23:21
Ah...right now, as I type, the thunder is booming outside, and lightning has crashed close by...slowing fading to a rumble. It is fine here; however, when I am still hiking the trail, I don't like to hear the crash too close!

Yet, you are correct about it "invigorating" living things. I have noticed that a good thunder/lightning storm will not just rev up the lawn, but it also "greens" up the grass!

Wise Old Owl
04-15-2012, 23:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YsICgcSzfmoEnjoy this...Shug's finest moments.... you can tell he's done this a few times....

rocketsocks
04-16-2012, 00:25
I never get tired of watching Shug do dumb things........whats that mean?Woo thanks for the up-close and personal,Cool show.P.S. now I know Ken is crazy to.

SassyWindsor
04-16-2012, 00:46
I've always had a great concern for high winds, electrical storms with high wind being the ultimate fright. Freezing rain in heavily wooded areas cause falling limbs and thawing ice problems, also a concern. Whatever the cause, falling trees and/or limbs just seem to concern me.

rocketsocks
04-16-2012, 00:58
I've always had a great concern for high winds, electrical storms with high wind being the ultimate fright. Freezing rain in heavily wooded areas cause falling limbs and thawing ice problems, also a concern. Whatever the cause, falling trees and/or limbs just seem to concern me.And for good reason,nobody wants to get impaled.High winds in the woods is a scary thing,and at the very least you could be replacing a $250.00 tent or tarp.

bigcranky
04-16-2012, 15:22
I've been on ridgelines in some bad thunderstorms, and thought it was more terrifying than exciting. On the other hand, sitting on the porch with a beer while the storm crashes down is pretty nice.

I love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ff8TSvj4HI

ATMountainTime
04-16-2012, 17:52
They ain't many things better on a trip that to be snug in your bag, have a good pitch on your tent, and mother nature puts on a show. Just the sound of rain on the tent is music to my ears.

Couldn't agree more, i look forward to the weekends when it does rain. The best sleep i ever get is in a tent in the rain.

rocketsocks
04-17-2012, 00:13
I've been on ridgelines in some bad thunderstorms, and thought it was more terrifying than exciting. On the other hand, sitting on the porch with a beer while the storm crashes down is pretty nice.

I love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ff8TSvj4HIBig Cranky,good pick.Earlier today I was viewing your song and shortly after went looking for one I like from Don Edwards country ,and old time cowboy music well I never got that far .In the looking I inadvertainly picked up a virus somewhere,so me computer she is caput,been acting up for some time now ,blue screens and all....not sure what I'll get next...maybe a tablet,smart phone....a new backpack and tent.LOL