PDA

View Full Version : Off trail after knee injury

Pages
04-15-2012, 20:38
after finally getting my hiking legs and a good state of mind for the hike, i somehow injured my knee on my first 12 mile day from neels gap to low gap shelter.

you may have heard through the trail-vine i had to be lowered down on a wheeled sled to unicoi gap by 8 firemen. before the firemen arrived, a thru-hiker named dave and a 2010 thru-hiker named bow tie had already carried me partly down the steep, rock-strewn trail into the gap.

spent 4 nights in hiawassee hoping to recover but felt no real relief. finally came back to PA and am seeing a doctor tomorrow.

if it is nothing serious and i just need more rest, i am hoping to pick up the trail in a month or two.

the hiking community was truly wonderful to me.

thanks to baltimore jack, julian, angers, barbara, ny woodzy, commakazie, blue sky, windmills, creeper, sling blade, gerber, ultimatum, red, velveeta smores, tantrum, barefoot, and others i don't remember the names of. special thanks to lee and josh at the hiker hostel, and dave at the budget in in hiawasee.

oh, and btw, IT AIN'T JUST WALKING!!!

(mods, please change my user name from TV to Pages. thanks.)

RockyRoo
04-15-2012, 21:52
Hope you get better quick!! I broke my wrist in the smokeys two and a bit weeks ago, and completely agree- the hiker community are amazing!! Even to the extent that my husband and i have been adopted by the trail maintainers (who helped us on the day) while my wrist heals.

safn1949
04-15-2012, 21:56
Good people for sure,sitting on the side of the trail in 2010 all forlorn looking when a member here picked me up and gave me a ride to a motel.We had dinner and I went home the next day with a torn cartilage in my right knee.Good luck.

Blissful
04-16-2012, 11:29
Too bad, hope its nothing serious.

MedicineWoman2012
08-02-2012, 21:31
Rockyroo...I have read alot of great contributions Smokie Mountain Club has made to the trail ..met alot of their members along the way the day you needed assist and it was incredible the man power and their kindness. I caught alot of heat from others that observed because I had mothered ya all the way to the shelter. The burly men that didnt offer to help and passed ya (dont need to mention their names,teehee) said her feet are not broken just keep walking. That really got my goat! I was determined to get ya there in one piece without shock and without anymore broken appendages. Teeeeheeeee!

fredmugs
08-03-2012, 10:11
I blew out my knee in Maine several years ago and rehabbed it riding exercise bikes. My knees are stronger than ever. Find yourself a good rehab routine and you'll be back better than ever.