PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal to Harpers Ferry

CentralVaAt
04-15-2012, 21:01
I'm planning a hike from Front Royal/522 to Harper's ferry mid June. I have never been hiking north of Front royal so any tips or suggestions about shelters or anything at all would be much appreciated. Also I'd love to see other's itinerary if they've done the hike. Any super close resupply points or points where the trail crosses right at little convienence stores? From looking at my maps, I'm thinking to take about 4 days....first 3 days would be around 15 miles and the final day around 9.

tdoczi
04-15-2012, 21:13
hiked south from front royal to the last road crossing before 522 (had plenty of daylight elft, but a dinner engagement forced me to cut the day short, i would have made 522 easily otherwise) in 3 days. harpers ferry to the VA line is easy. bears den is on the trail and sells some things, nothing else is right at any road crossings but i think i remember reading of one or two that were not far off. in general towns are a ways off the trail through there, which i found surprising seeing as how you are practically hiking in people's backyards most of the way. i guess they all drive 15 minutes to get milk.

Hnsnhiker
04-15-2012, 21:26
I'll be doing FR to HF about that same time. Most people have good things to say about the shelters along the way except for Dick's Dome. I usually tent but didn't see any information on tent sites at DD and there will be three of us-each with our own tent. If anyone knows of a good spot to camp near there please share.

tdoczi
04-15-2012, 22:08
I'll be doing FR to HF about that same time. Most people have good things to say about the shelters along the way except for Dick's Dome. I usually tent but didn't see any information on tent sites at DD and there will be three of us-each with our own tent. If anyone knows of a good spot to camp near there please share.

i tented near the shelter (tiniest shelter ive ever seen, 2 people were in it already. not really big enough for me and them) it wasnt great but doable and its confusing but i dont know it its legal to tent anyway near there if not by the shelter.

Kerosene
04-16-2012, 10:27
I'd certainly avoid Dick's Dome. When I went through in October 2001, Manassas Gap Shelter had a resident wood rat who was feasting on a den of copperheads below the shelter, but I think those infestations have been addressed. I didn't get much sleep that night.
You can find my trip report for that section starting here: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=261540

Blissful
04-16-2012, 11:20
I just did this - finished yesterday. If you go now, you will see a million trillium wildflowers in bloom. I enjoyed my nice solitary campsite at the Mosby Tenting area with its own spring (but the planes do fly over the site to the Dulles Airport until around 11 PM). There is tenting a mile north of Dick's Dome - just up the hill from the spring - you will see a tent sign. But I found a small isolated site before that on the right (its right by one of the tall AT markers).
Take your time on the "Rollercoaster" area - some pretty steep climbs. Right now all water is flowing but I cannot predict what June will be at all. Bear's Den hostel is a great place to stay. I have also stayed at the Blackburn Trail center.

Mid June will be prime thru hiker season and the area will be crowded. Just forwarned.

Blissful
04-16-2012, 11:26
I'd certainly avoid Dick's Dome. When I went through in October 2001, Manassas Gap Shelter had a resident wood rat who was feasting on a den of copperheads below the shelter,

Good reason to avoid shelter areas (which also pose high tick issues) and tent. A good tentsite is just opposite the cutoff trail to the Manassas Gap shelter.

Firefighter503
04-16-2012, 12:01
Pretty straight forward section. Take your time on the roller coaster, and make sure you stop in at Bear's Den Hostel.