PDA

View Full Version : Salomon Cosmic 4D GTX vs Salomon Quest

Tharwood
04-16-2012, 14:27
Ok all.. I am in the market for a new pair of boots. I curently wear Scarpa kailash gtx boot , that I like alot ...BUT, it is causing heel blisters. I have tried almost all that I know to do to prevent this as far as lacing and insoles, socks, liner socks.Etc, but have been unsucessful. I am considering buying new boots and keeping the Scarpas for beat around boots , that dont do mileage. I have been looking at Salomon Cosmic and Quest. But before I buy I wanted to get a feel for what was working for everyone else , that may give me another option. Thank you, and:banana I look forward to your answers.

goody5534
04-16-2012, 15:11
I have the Quest, and I used to hike in Merrel's-junk, then moved to Asolo-good for me, then I bought the quest last september and cant believe the difference in quality, comfort and durability of the Salomon product versus the other plus $200 boots I have worn. The Cosmic is a little heavier than the Quest but from all other appearences seem to be the same boot maybe the upgraded version of the Quest... Price Cosmic $250-275 and Quest prices I ahve seen were from $220-199.00. Maybe someone else can tell you and me what $50.00 and 9 oz. (both boots) gets ya...

Firefighter503
04-17-2012, 13:50
I have put about 1000 or so miles on a pair of Quest (with green Superfeet, 650 miles or so on one section hike on the AT last year) and have only ever had 1 or 2 blisters. The only one I know for sure was after a 26.2 mile day where my boots started soaking wet and continued to get rained on for the whole day. I really like the boots, and expect I still have as many miles left in them. With that being said, I just bought a set of trail runners which I hope will be just as good (or better) to my feet (weigh less than half as much as the boots).

Joker4ink
04-18-2012, 23:45
If you like Salomon products, keep in mind the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra Mid 2 GTX boots or the Salomon Fastpacker Mid. From the boots you listed you may be interested in, those are heavy and a higher cut compared to the two I am posting about. Not sure if you are looking for a lighter weight, lower cut boot. I have the XA Pro's and I like them quite a bit. Roomy toe box, super fast lacing up, Gore Tex, light weight and comfy like a slipper. I have tried on the Fastpacker boots also, and those feel pretty nice too. I can tell you that Salomon has excellent customer service when it comes to their boots.

With regards to the blisters, do you ever use Glide? If not, just make sure your feet are clean and liberally apply it to your toes, heels or wherever else is bothering you. Between that method and my Wrightsocks w/built-in liners, I have been blister free for a very long time. Worth a shot if you havent tried that setup.