PDA

View Full Version : CT section of AT Rt 41 SOBO to Kent 4/27-4/30

jakedatc
04-16-2012, 15:58
Well, Takethisbread would not quit babbling so i made a new thread for this to be planned better

well i pulled out my AT guide and looked at places to stay. i dunno when people were going to start friday.. i went by a morning start.. There are a few alternatives if we were ahead or behind schedule but i think those are a pretty good split.

Night 1 Brassie shelter 13mi day
NIght 2 Belters campsite 15mi day
Night 3 Stewart hollow shelter 16mi day

7mi final day out.

G.G.
04-16-2012, 17:55
Looks good.

I've got to work on getting Fri. off. If it's not possible, I'm willing to do a little night hike if it's feasible to catch up via a blue spur or do so further down the line on Sat. I'll look at maps tonight and confirm my story in the next few days.

goody5534
04-16-2012, 17:57
YEA, this sounds pretty good. It is a little ambitious for me on the Miles Per Day. I Might wanna start on thursday at noon and in South Egremont, Ma. get to Hemlocks Shelter (5miles), Friday hike to Brassie or or Riga Shelter (9 tough Miles-3 summits), Saturday Limestone (see Lions Head, Giants Thumb and Rands View), then Sunday to Pine Swamp Shelter (13 miles). I only made this alteration because Belters is a not a great place to camp and I wanted to add some new trail that I havent done in Mass, since I have covered all of CT section in the recent past. I am flexible but lets talk about it for little more. Or we could northbound from Kent...

Robbie

jakedatc
04-16-2012, 18:10
I prefer SOBO since going south up Bear is a whole lot nicer than going down it. i've done down and it is not pleasant.

if Belters sucks then Pine swamp is fine.

either way we'd need at least a few to meet in Kent and leave a car there and go to the top.

Driver8
04-16-2012, 19:22
I'm getting there, but still not yet in shape enough to handle this itinerary. What I could do instead would be to meet up with y'all at Great Falls Saturday and go SOBO with you for a few miles, maybe as far as Pine Swamp or the Hang Glider point, depending on time, then return to my car @ GF. It would all be new trail for me, extending me southward from past hikes.

cricket71
04-16-2012, 20:32
oops hit the wrong button, fri is out for me the boss said no can do but we'll have to see about fri I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. If so I'll p.m. you where and my number tomeet up.

scurley
04-17-2012, 00:16
I will be out the last weekend of April 27-30 with a guy I just met he set up our schedule

Day 1 Salisbury to Falls Village (8 miles)
Day 2 Falls Village to Pine Swamp (8.5 miles)
Day 3 Pine Swamp to Stewart Hollow (10 miles)
Day 4 Stewart Hollow to Kent via Numeral Rock trail (blue blazed) (7 miles)

The guy I am hiking with is an older guy so I don't know his pace but this will be my first multi-day trip of the season so I am ok with this leisurely pace to break in the legs. Driver8 if you will be starting in great falls on Saturday morning it would be cool to meet up on the trail we wont be too far ahead.

Driver8
04-17-2012, 09:39
The guy I am hiking with is an older guy so I don't know his pace but this will be my first multi-day trip of the season so I am ok with this leisurely pace to break in the legs. Driver8 if you will be starting in great falls on Saturday morning it would be cool to meet up on the trail we wont be too far ahead.

Sounds interesting, scurley. I'd like to join - let's see if it works out.

jakedatc
04-17-2012, 10:02
well this is becoming a problem since no one is going to have a car left in kent to get back to the cars at Jugs end....

i had some stuff come up anyway so i think i'm going to do the Tully Loop trail in Mass this sun-monday instead and do the CT section when i can find someone who will do it with 2 cars

coach lou
04-17-2012, 10:43
well this is becoming a problem since no one is going to have a car left in kent to get back to the cars at Jugs end....

i had some stuff come up anyway so i think i'm going to do the Tully Loop trail in Mass this sun-monday instead and do the CT section when i can find someone who will do it with 2 cars

Jake, I haven't chimed in on this 'cause 27-30 is my annual fishing trip to Penns Creek. PM me or keep the thread alive, as you cruise down I-95 we'll hook-up in Saybrook.I'll leave the fish car in Kent. I need to do Falls Village to Rt. 4 to finish Connecticut.

coach lou
04-17-2012, 10:45
Jake, I haven't chimed in on this 'cause 27-30 is my annual fishing trip to Penns Creek. PM me or keep the thread alive, as you cruise down I-95 we'll hook-up in Saybrook.I'll leave the fish car in Kent. I need to do Falls Village to Rt. 4 to finish Connecticut.

Sorry... 6may- 13 may the wife and I are in St. John, USVI!!!!

jakedatc
04-17-2012, 11:21
I could also do 22-25th if you don't have stuff during the week.

i'm a bit confused what you are trying to suggest

cricket71
04-17-2012, 20:04
duhhh, totally wrong weekend I was thinking this weekend. Anyway any of you heading out this weekend? I got saturday off so I will be heading out for an overnight, trying to get in as many before I go to V.T. in may for a couple weeks of hiking..

goody5534
04-17-2012, 21:20

I assumed I would leave my car in Mass and you could leave your car in Kent??? The plan would be on Thursday (4/26) or Friday(4/27) at 10:30-11am I meet you at the Parking Lot in Kent and I would drive us upto our starting point in Mass...

goody5534
04-17-2012, 21:20
duhhh, totally wrong weekend I was thinking this weekend. Anyway any of you heading out this weekend? I got saturday off so I will be heading out for an overnight, trying to get in as many before I go to V.T. in may for a couple weeks of hiking..
Its gonna Rain!

jakedatc
04-17-2012, 22:27
I assumed I would leave my car in Mass and you could leave your car in Kent??? The plan would be on Thursday (4/26) or Friday(4/27) at 10:30-11am I meet you at the Parking Lot in Kent and I would drive us upto our starting point in Mass...

that will work as long as i can still go, i have to sort some stuff out and i'm not sure if i can.

jakedatc
04-18-2012, 15:26
YEA, this sounds pretty good. It is a little ambitious for me on the Miles Per Day. I Might wanna start on thursday at noon and in South Egremont, Ma. get to Hemlocks Shelter (5miles), Friday hike to Brassie or or Riga Shelter (9 tough Miles-3 summits), Saturday Limestone (see Lions Head, Giants Thumb and Rands View), then Sunday to Pine Swamp Shelter (13 miles). I only made this alteration because Belters is a not a great place to camp and I wanted to add some new trail that I havent done in Mass, since I have covered all of CT section in the recent past. I am flexible but lets talk about it for little more. Or we could northbound from Kent...

Robbie

how about this for an idea. start thursday

Jug End to Sages 10mi just mt Everett
Sages to Limestone 10mi only 2 peaks instead of 3
limestone to pine swamp 12mi
pine swamp to stewarts 10mi or if we are feeling it crank it all the way to kent.
stewarts to Kent 7mi

jakedatc
04-22-2012, 13:32
scurley and Goody check your PM's?

G.G.
04-22-2012, 22:07
I'll be up there Fri. night. Still hoping to connect at some point.

Driver8
04-23-2012, 01:14
Thank goodness we're getting this rain - the forests will be much happier. I'm ready for 10+ miles, up to about 15, on the CT A.T. in one day. Just did a circle around most of the Hopper, Hopper to A.T. to Old Summit Road to A.T. to Money Brook and down Saturday - about 12 miles and, to my best estimate, 2900' elevation gain and loss. Ready for more! Money Brook Trail was gorgeous - really like that brook, and the falls were pretty. Let me know if y'all are heading out next weekend - I should be able to join you Saturday, maybe even Friday.

jakedatc
04-23-2012, 11:31
I dunno what i'm doing. Looks more likely that i'm going to get dropped off by my GF and hike on my own till i meet up with Scurley on saturday night at Pine Swamp then maybe hike to stewarts hollow with them depending on speed and hike out monday

Driver8
04-23-2012, 14:10
What's your Saturday itinerary, Jake? I could join you at Great Falls if you're heading through there and go along with you to Hang Glider Point or some such.

jakedatc
04-23-2012, 14:36
Limestone to pine swamp so that could be possible

G.G.
04-23-2012, 15:26
Driver, let me know if you have any interest in connecting and setting up for a shuttle.

I'm good for either late Fri. night or Sat. morning.

jakedatc
04-23-2012, 18:21
Check that. Looks like i'm leaving Jug End on wednesday and getting to Kent sunday so my GF can pick me up.

kickassss just packed all my stuff and came to 23.5lb including 7lb food and 1L(2lb) of water

G.G.
04-25-2012, 20:41
Time is becoming an issue for me. Won't be up till Sat. I may bag and finish up from my last leg, heading north from Race Brook instead. I'll post a final decision for anyone that may be looking on Fri.

Driver8
04-25-2012, 22:23
Time is becoming an issue for me. Won't be up till Sat. I may bag and finish up from my last leg, heading north from Race Brook instead. I'll post a final decision for anyone that may be looking on Fri.

I'm checking weather conditions and may head up to the Whites, possibly Moosilauke. We'll see.

jakedatc
04-28-2012, 12:47
well, i bailed out a day early (2 days from the original plan) sprained my knee a bit sometime thursday and made downhills pretty rough at times. Still ended up doing Jug End to Riga shelter wednesday, Riga to Sharon mtn campsite thursday, Sharon mtn to Cornwall Bridge,CT friday and got picked up there. still 39mi in 3 days was pretty good :) I was on track to finish pretty early sat. morning but oh well.

hope you guys got out. i'll post up pics and stuff once i upload them.

Driver8
04-28-2012, 15:17
I skipped today - may go out now for a quickie in the CT River Valley - in favor of REI's Garage sale in W Htfd. Scored some nice gear, but on 4 hours' sleep. Came home and napped after.

G.G.
04-28-2012, 15:38
Hope the knee heals up quickly. I've been dealing with IT band issues so I know that hassle.

I bagged too. Family first.... Now heading out next weekend. Looking for roughly up 15 miles on Sat. & 10 on Sun. Not sure Fri. will be an option.

jakedatc
04-28-2012, 16:03
I skipped today - may go out now for a quickie in the CT River Valley - in favor of REI's Garage sale in W Htfd. Scored some nice gear, but on 4 hours' sleep. Came home and napped after.

i thought about going to REI but it is in the opposite direction from my house from my gf's so i decided not to go.

pics.. the ones before the map are off my phone so they are a mix. the rest are in order.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.533316657933.2018031.95200576&type=3

G.G.
04-28-2012, 21:31
Looks like you had a nice hike. I assume you ended up solo.

I was up there the last weekend in March. Funny what a little newly sprung green does.

Can't wait to get out next week.

jakedatc
04-28-2012, 21:42
Yea, went solo and got picked up. Had weird scattered weather that made things interesting at times.. Snow going across the Race mnt ridge.. hail crossing the river at Sages.. rained thursday night to test my Contrail, super windy in the AM friday.

all in all a good shakedown hike. i figured out my physical abilities and got to use my gear on a real hike. Used everything in my pack and didn't wish i had much else. I do need to find new trail shoes since the Solomons i have are .5 size too big and are goretex which made them pretty warm.

Driver8
04-28-2012, 22:54
Nice set of photos, Jake - I especially like the ones at Guinea Brook. I just sent you a friend request.

-Driver8/Chris Stratton

PS: I ended up getting in a nice late-afternoon-to-dusk hike at Mt. Holyoke. Started at the west foot on Old Mtn Road, M-M Trail to Summit House (surprisingly nice views of Greylock, Snow/Haystack and Stratton - better than Mt. Tom even though much lower elevation). Went past Taylor Notch then worked back around via the south side of the ridge, mostly on Lithia Springs and Dry Brook trails. About 2:45 - left me hungry for more. Off to Sleeping Giant with a friend tomorrow. Itching to head north - may do Stratton or Ascutney next week, or might even peek into the Whites. Depends on the weather.

Driver8
05-07-2012, 13:45
I made it to Moosilauke on Saturday for my first successful 4000-footer ascent. The weather was nigh perfect - a little on the cold side at the summit, but not too windy, and views to die for - could see all of VT's high peaks from Mt. Snow, Stratton and Dorset northward past Mansfield, Monadnock in southern N.H., and very fine and clear views of the Whites. What a big, hulking beauty is Moosilauke. I look forward to returning to it many times. Magnificent day.