PDA

View Full Version : my section hike itinerary

Jaybird
04-03-2005, 09:40
i've finalized my section hike itinerary/schedule:

ck it out:

Jaybird's Apr-May hike schedule (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=91504)

give me feedback! anything!

Hey Lone Wolf....tell Mt. Rogers OUTFITTERS to SAVE me a bunk on Sunday May 8th! i'm taking a "ZERO" ...if all goes as planned.:D

Lilred
04-03-2005, 10:45
give me feedback! anything![/COLOR] [/SIZE]

Hey Lone Wolf....tell Mt. Rogers OUTFITTERS to SAVE me a bunk on Sunday May 8th! i'm taking a "ZERO" ...if all goes as planned.:D

Hi Jaybird,
I know you must be getting excited. Looks like an ambitious hike. Only one zero for 23 days out sounds rough. Slow up a little, take more time off. One zero a week is what I'm shooting for when my section hike comes up. Then that way maybe I will be able to catch up, distance wise. LOL Best of luck and have a great time.

Jaybird
04-03-2005, 13:38
...LilRedMG:

i know my hike itinerary is quite "ambitious"...for several days...but,

i'm only getting the 3 weeks (& 2 days) to hike this year....so, i got to get 'em in while i have the time....i've hiked several 17+ mile days in a row in the past few years....so, i think 3 or 4 days in a row of these days will be okay by the time i get to VA.

Yep! the 1 "ZERO" is ALL i'm taking....i'm taking a "HALF DAY" off when i hit BASTIAN,VA & my last day....(if my sked. holds true) is only 3 miles into PEARISBURG, VA...then i get a shuttle back to DAMASCUS...& drive home from there!

THANKS for the input...

A-Train
04-03-2005, 16:31
Jaybird:

Just some thoughts from your itinerary (nice by the way)

Bald Mtn to No Bizness Shelter is 10.5 miles not 14.2 like you have listed. It is a very easy 10 miles too, something to keep in mind.

Nolichucky Campground is a nice place from what I hear, but no Miss Janets??

There is really nothing in Bastian at all, and the grocery store is closed. It would make more sense to send a box to Bland on the other side of the road, as there is a grocery store, some services, motel etc. just in case. It would be a bummer to get ur box and relize you are missing a few food items or want something perishable like bread or cheese.

Lastly, the days of 17-19 miles are doable for sure. But i see you have bigger days around Atkins and shorter days towards the end. The terrain from Bland to Pearisburg is mostly ridgewalking and you can CRUISE thru some of those stretches particalarly between Helveys Mill and Jenny Knob Shelter. Personally I would give myself more time between Atkins and Bland, as there is more to enjoy (Chestnut Knob) and harder terrain. The 14 or so miles from Atkins to Knot Maul is very up and down and can wear you down.

Just my 2 cents.

Stay flexible, don't be married to the schedule and have a blast