PDA

View Full Version : Is my total pack weight too much?

s.ivanoff
04-16-2012, 18:47
I am planning to thru-hike the AT and I wanted to know if my total weight is too much.

Total weight: 40lbs (this includes everything packed, food, water, clothing & shoes worn and trekking poles carried). Pack weight is around 37lbs not including my clothing&shoes worn and my trekking poles

Food: 14lbs (7days, 2lbs/day) This is the max amount of food I will be carrying so it will vary depending on how often I stop so it may go to 10lbs for 5 days

Water: 2 liters (4lbs) at a time (refill mid day)

I think once I get going I will realize that I don't need some things so I will send them home or throw out so I know it will lighten as I go but I want peoples opinions on whether or not this is manageable. I am young, I don't have any preexisting aches or issues, and I am in pretty good shape. But I do plan to do the hike pretty quickly (4 months max due to time restraints) and this will be my first backpacking trip longer than a few days aka I'm a rookie.

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

MuddyWaters
04-16-2012, 19:01
Its dang heavy by my standards, but probably about average for most, and better than a lot.

If you are going to get rid of thing, go ahead and get rid of them before you start (duh!)

hikerboy57
04-16-2012, 19:04
def on the heavy side, but you probably already know that.start thinking about things you can live without for a week at a time, and find items thatl do double duty. if you want to post your list, im sure you'll get plenty of solicited and unsolicited advice.

Sherpa Master
04-16-2012, 19:05
Overall it's not too bad. I wonder a little about your food at 2 lbs per day. Typical is around a pond and a half. Pending your reapply spacing hopefully you won't have to carry that many days. Check everything and see if you have any duplication. The lighter the better. Even though your young the ups and downs will take their toll on long mileage days. Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

oldbear
04-16-2012, 19:20
Kind of depends how big you are
If you're a little person it is and if you're a big person it's not

s.ivanoff
04-16-2012, 19:25
Overall it's not too bad. I wonder a little about your food at 2 lbs per day. Typical is around a pond and a half. Pending your reapply spacing hopefully you won't have to carry that many days. Check everything and see if you have any duplication. The lighter the better. Even though your young the ups and downs will take their toll on long mileage days. Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

Yeah the research I have done says 1.5-2lbs per day so I am just estimating on the high side. So maybe I should go for 1.5lbs/day with 5 day of food? This would cut off 7 ish pounds

s.ivanoff
04-16-2012, 19:27
Kind of depends how big you are
If you're a little person it is and if you're a big person it's not

I am 5'9" 150 pound female, so I am sort of big

oldbear
04-16-2012, 19:36
I am 5'9" 150 pound female, so I am sort of big
At your size that 40 lbs is 26.6% of your bodyweight
I'm a 6'2" 250 lb male and at my size that 40 lbs is 16% of my bodyweight

Bati
04-16-2012, 19:51
You won't need to carry 7 days of food, except in a few spots. I did for SMNP and the 100 mile wilderness, but today there are easier resupply points for these.
Plan on only carrying 5 days of food at a time, and you drop 4 pounds. A 35 pound pack will be very manageable; that 5 pounds will make a difference!

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2012, 19:57

You won't need to carry 7 days of food, except in a few spots. I did for SMNP and the 100 mile wilderness, but today there are easier resupply points for these.
Plan on only carrying 5 days of food at a time, and you drop 4 pounds. A 35 pound pack will be very manageable; that 5 pounds will make a difference!

What they said ... grab the list and include the food and post your backpack let's figure out what you really don't need.... everyone here at WB has good insight.

s.ivanoff
04-16-2012, 20:36
What they said ... grab the list and include the food and post your backpack let's figure out what you really don't need.... everyone here at WB has good insight.

Thanks everyone. I will post my full list shortly and hopefully knock a few pounds off

Spokes
04-16-2012, 20:36
Agree with the too much food comments. 3-4 days food between re-supply on the AT is normal. By the time you hit the 100 mile wilderness you'll have your legs so no worries there.

Wonder how much other "small stuff" you're carrying that's eating up the pack weight?

kevperro
04-16-2012, 20:41
Yea... do yourself a favor and post that list. It is MUCH better to start off with a reasonable weight. The first couple weeks are when you are most likely to injure yourself and starting off with a 40lb. pack is unwise.

If I were doing the AT again I'd start off the trip with a 10lb base weight. Even over the 100 mile section in Maine I would never carry >25lbs. Trim some weight and you will greatly increase your comfort and drastically reduce your chance of injury.

bigcranky
04-16-2012, 20:42
37 pounds is heavy to me, but probably lighter than most starting thru-hikers. I've seen a lot of BIG packs in Georgia in the last few years. The first three or four days on the trail will give you a crash course in exactly what you need, and what you can send home. If you make it the 30 miles to Neels Gap, the outfitter store will be happy to send home your excess weight, and/or sell you lighter gear.

When are you starting? What exactly are you carrying?

Old Boots
04-16-2012, 20:52
My suggestion is to stop by Mountain Crossing on your way to Springer if you can and let them review with you what you are taking before you head out.

sterling98
04-16-2012, 20:54
If my math is right that's a 19 lb in pack base weight... That's not too bad. What's your big four weight? You probably either have a chunky old big 4 item that you could replace, or too many little unnecessary cluttering items.

hikerboy57
04-16-2012, 21:00
My suggestion is to stop by Mountain Crossing on your way to Springer if you can and let them review with you what you are taking before you head out.
those guys are great, but you'll get plenty of advice right here once you post your list, which will save you $$$$. mountain crossings is a business, and youll be hostage to the gear they have available at their prices. you'll have more flexibility shopping if you need to replace any major items.just get your list posted so we can help.

MuddyWaters
04-16-2012, 21:04
Consider this..

If your pack is 50 lbs, and you do 8 miles per day, you may need 5 days food for 40 mile re-supply = 7.5 lbs
If your pack is 30 lbs and you do 12 miles per day, you may only need 4 days food = 6 lbs
If your pack is 15 lbs and you do 20+ miles per day, you may only need 2 days food.= 3 lbs

The lighter you are, the faster you can walk, the less food AND water you have to carry.

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2012, 21:12

OB lets do it here before he get's to Springer.... “We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc for folk that don't get the reference. laugh your hiking socks off..

shelb
04-16-2012, 21:39
OB lets do it here before he get's to Springer.... “We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc for folk that don't get the reference. laugh your hiking socks off..

Imagine him hiking!

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2012, 21:44
Steve - not now.... 15756

Old Boots
04-16-2012, 22:34
I agree WO and 40 lbs is probably not outside the norm for those who start a thru. Most will adjust their load by the time they reach Neels Gap. I did what i advised. The people at Mountain Crossing set aside some of my food for when I came thru. They also held some gear to send ahead when I would need it. They also advised me to send some things home. The only thing they sold me was a compression stuff sack that I needed at a competitive price and they charged me nothing for the excellent advice or storing my stuff for @ a week. Much of the advise we give and get here is good some not so good. Every employee at MC has done at least one thru hike. You can't argue with experience.

bigcranky
04-16-2012, 23:09
mountain crossings is a business, and youll be hostage to the gear they have available at their prices.

Hostage? Really? Sure, Mountain Crossings is a business, but the gear they have is specific to long distance hiking, and the prices are the same as anywhere else you can buy that gear in person in a shop. That is, regular retail price. They aren't gouging anyone. No one takes any hostages. They'll go through your pack, and provide free advice based on their long experience. You don't have to buy anything.

Ivanoff, sorry about the thread drift. Ignore us. Go start hiking and you'll have a blast. You'll figure out the gear on the way, like everybody else. Have fun.

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2012, 23:18
it wasn't a thread drift BC ... it was another option that can come into play if he decided to get help in person...

Your post was helpful.

Bucho
04-16-2012, 23:23
I'd recommend trying to resupply every 3 days and carrying 1 liter of water. Sometimes you can resupply more frequently, sometimes you'll have to go longer but don't carry a week, just don't do it. You'll probably also need to carry more water near NY if it's dry. But for most of the trail you'll be able to walk out of town at least 10lbs lighter just by doing the above.

Now, what do you have for gear?

Old Boots
04-16-2012, 23:44
I agree that the temptation is to carry too much food. First, you can't carry enough to replenish the calories you will expend. Count on eating in towns to do that. Secondly, plan menus rather than just grabbing some stuff at the store. You will find you carry less weight. Finally, share some of what you have with others.

George
04-16-2012, 23:47
your packweight is fine as long as I do not have to carry it

Sherpa Master
04-16-2012, 23:52
One thing to consider in your big 4 is your sleeping bag. If you are starting in May there is little need to carry anything lower than at 35 degree bag and can probably get away with a 45 if you are a warm sleeper or use to sleeping in layers. If your pack is over 3.5 pounds look for lighter pack. Definitely post your list in detail and let the gang beat it up a little here before you lug it up Sassafrass, Black Mountain, and Blood Mountain to get to Mountain Crossings. Your back and legs will thank you.

oldbear
04-17-2012, 00:17
Consider this..

If your pack is 50 lbs, and you do 8 miles per day, you may need 5 days food for 40 mile re-supply = 7.5 lbs
If your pack is 30 lbs and you do 12 miles per day, you may only need 4 days food = 6 lbs
If your pack is 15 lbs and you do 20+ miles per day, you may only need 2 days food.= 3 lbs

The lighter you are, the faster you can walk, the less food AND water you have to carry.

Muddy no disrespect intended but shouldn't the time lost buying food cut into that mpd figure

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 01:25
Thank you for all of the suggestions guys

My big 4 are actually pretty decent I think? I do think it is all the little things that I need to cut down on but I will let you guys be the judge of that. I am also having trouble deciding on the clothing I will need. I am actually not doing the hike until next summer May 1-August (unsure on the specific date for now) so I have plenty of time to figure this stuff out, I just want to be as prepared as I can be.

Some of my big items are(I havent bought any of these yet, just the ones I have found that seemed like a good choice)..
GoLite Jam pack: 1lb 15oz
Lightheart solo tent: 27oz
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 sleeping bag: 17oz
Thermarest Neoair xlite sleeping pad: 12oz

I will post the rest of the items once I get them typed up

Leanthree
04-17-2012, 02:21
Thank you for all of the suggestions guys

My big 4 are actually pretty decent I think? I do think it is all the little things that I need to cut down on but I will let you guys be the judge of that. I am also having trouble deciding on the clothing I will need. I am actually not doing the hike until next summer May 1-August (unsure on the specific date for now) so I have plenty of time to figure this stuff out, I just want to be as prepared as I can be.

Some of my big items are(I havent bought any of these yet, just the ones I have found that seemed like a good choice)..
GoLite Jam pack: 1lb 15oz
Lightheart solo tent: 27oz
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 sleeping bag: 17oz
Thermarest Neoair xlite sleeping pad: 12oz

I will post the rest of the items once I get them typed up

I am excited to see the rest of your list. With this list so far, you can probably get down to 10-11 lbs base weight. reasonably easily and cheaply. If your big 4 replaced my big 4 I would be at ~11 lbs (down from ~13 currently).

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 06:20
I am excited to see the rest of your list. With this list so far, you can probably get down to 10-11 lbs base weight. reasonably easily and cheaply. If your big 4 replaced my big 4 I would be at ~11 lbs (down from ~13 currently).
Okay so here is my rough list...

GoLite Jam Pack
31 oz

Lightheart Solo Tent
27 oz

Mountain Hardwear Phanton 45 Sleeping Bag
17 oz

Thermarest Neoair Xlite Sleeping Pad
12 oz

Stuff sacks (3)
4 oz

aLoksaks
3 oz

Outdoor Products Packframe Poncho (covers body and hangs over pack)
9 oz

Fancy Feast Alcohol Stove
.3 oz

Alcohol stove fuel
8 oz

Evernew Titanium 1.3L cook pot
4.6 oz

Snow Peak titanium bowl
1.6 oz

MSR Titan Cup (for cocoa and coffee)
1.9 oz

Sea to Summit Alpha light Spork
.3 oz

Foil Windscreen
.2 oz

Camelback water bottle
1.5 oz

Platypus 3L water reservoir
5.8 oz

Sawyer Inline water filter
2 oz

Map/guide book
3 oz

Journal, pen, itinerary
4 oz

Compass/whistle
1 oz

First Aid kit(bandaids, neosporin, antiseptic wipes, etc..)
3 oz

knife
2.6 oz

2 Bic lighters
1 oz

Petzyl Tikka XP Headlamp
3.1 oz

Paracord (for hanging bear bag) 50ft
4 oz

Insect repellent
3 oz

Duct tape
2 oz

bandana
.5 oz

Insect head net
2 oz

gaiters
3 oz

Mountain hardweat powerstretch gloves
1 oz

Sunglasses
2 oz

Trekking Poles Leki Cressida Aergon Speedlock
14.8 oz

Watch
2.5 oz

2 biners
.5 oz

headband, hairtie
.5 oz

Bonnies balm climber's salve
2 oz

Chapstick
.5 oz

Toilet paper
2 oz

Trowell
3 oz

Tooth brush
.5 oz

Tooth paste
1 oz

Camp Towel
2 oz

Camp Suds soap
2 oz

nail clippers
.5 oz

wet wipes
3 oz

tweezers
.5 oz

brush
1 oz

face lotion (my skin is very dry)
1 oz

Iphone and case
5 oz

Camera with case
9 oz

Camera charger/usb
3 oz

Spare batteries
3 oz

Kindle (yes, luxury item, I know. I need to do something while at camp)
6 oz

Charger for Iphone and Kindle
2 oz

hat
2 oz

Beanie
1.9 oz

GoLite Running Shorts 2 pair
8 oz

GoLite Rain pants
7 oz

Short sleeved shirts of some kind (2) icebreaker maybe?
6 oz

Tight Spandex running pants (a must for me)
7 oz

Long sleeved shirts of some kind (2) again, maybe icebreaker?
10 oz

Montbell Down vest (Just in case it gets really cold at night)
4.4 oz

Sports Bra (2)
4 oz

Underwear (3-5?)
4 oz

Crocs (camp shoes)
8 oz

Hiking shoes: Salamon Synapse mid rise
13 oz

Smart wool socks (2 hiking, 1 sleeping)
6 oz

Ibuprofen (and lots of it!!)
2-3 oz

multivitamins
2 oz

Gun* (see excerpt below)
9 oz

Grand Total

20lbs 5 oz

Despite the fact the guns are frowned upon on the trail I still may bring one. I am a female traveling solo soo I really won't be able to sleep without it at night. I have read that the trail is all around safe, but I don't want to take the risk (neither does my father, he is strongly urging me to take one). I have a lot of experience and training with guns so I am very safe. But anyways I am still not positive on whether or not I am bringing one but that is something I will decide without the input of others. So if I do bring my gun, it weighs 9 oz.

In addition, I know many will say to ditch the kindle because it is a luxury item BUT this will greatly improve the quality of my nights at camp. I always need a good read or some television before I go to bed ( it takes me a long time to fall asleep without it).

Okay so tear my list to shreds everyone!! :)

lemon b
04-17-2012, 07:05
Might be. However, ya gotta hike your own hike, and figure out what you wanna haul around.

kidchill
04-17-2012, 07:16
Just some thoughts...Everything you've posted is actually skin-out weight...You'll be using your trekking poles (~15oz), wearing your shoes (13oz), and a set of clothes (~16oz)...Also, look into getting the kindle app for the iphone (it's free and does the same job, that would save you some weight..I was actually debating bringing my ipad, but really it's just a big iphone). People are probably gonna mention you don't need the trowel or the gun. I'm still a newb and starting in July, but I've been studying lists like crazy. You're big 4 are actually very good (and damn near the same thing I have).

bigcranky
04-17-2012, 08:01
A couple of random thoughts:

1. You don't actually have any of this gear yet, or very little of it, right? What I have found is that a theoretical gear list always weighs less than a real, loaded pack. No matter how careful I am with my spreadsheet, the final product weighs more than I expected.

2. You're not going to like the Jam with 37 pounds in it. Not. At. All. I'll venture to say that you won't like the Jam with 27 pounds in it, either. The Jam is a frameless rucksack -- basically a giant stuff sack with shoulder straps. It's a perfectly nice pack, but it's very specialized. Trust me when I say that you are going to want something with an internal frame of some sort, like a ULA Circuit or similar. The slight increase in weight is well worth it (but don't go crazy - a 7-pound pack is not more comfortable than a 2-pound pack.)

3. I expect you'll find the Kindle far more useful than the firearm.

4. With that 45-F bag, the down vest is a very good idea. We had sub-freezing temps at Springer in early June. Also, does the Phantom 45 have a full length zipper? My wife had a Phantom 32, and it had a half-zipper. That's one reason she sold it - the other reason was that it was way underfilled with down. A full length zipper lets you open the bag and use as a quilt in warmer weather.

5. I still think the best thing anyone can do to prepare for a thru-hike is to get out on the trail for a couple of weeks beforehand. This will let you figure out your gear, and your hiking style, and make any necessary tweaks before the big hike. If you can do that this summer, I'd recommend it.

Good luck.

pyroman53
04-17-2012, 12:13
While by no means an expert here, I pipe up...could save you a couple pounds..or not...

I carry only 1 long sleeve and one short sleeve shirt and only one pr extra underwear
why 2 pr shorts? especially if you have the tights and rain pants
For summer I would definitely not carry rain pants
I don't carry camp shoes when using light hiking shoes
I don't carry trowel
carrying gloves and a beanie with a summer weight bag seems a bit of a contradiction. If cold enough for gloves, it might be too cold for that bag. If cold enough for beanie, might be too cold to just carry vest (vs. jacket). I'm not sure where you'll be so weather is an unknown.
maybe ditch the platy for a couple gatoraide bottles
4 oz for paracord seems about twice what mine weighs
lighter knife?
no camp towel - use bandana.
5 oz of wet wipes AND TP...thatsalotta
duct tape goes on hiking poles. Yea, you carry it, but not in pack
heavy camera, Will I-phone work as camera too, elliminating an extra charger as well. (sorry if my lack of techno knowledge is showing through).
Since you get to town every 4 days or so you might ditch the extra batteries, extra bic, extra ibuprofen, extra vitamins, etc...maybe bounce those or rely on hiker boxes and purchasing as you go.

suggest aquamira

Two pounds may not seem like much but to each their own. Lightening my pack is both about light weight items (done that) and now its about elliminating stuff. For now I'm focusing more on not needing what I really don't need and figuring out what that is.
Have fun!!

Old Boots
04-17-2012, 12:53
I think BC is right about taking your gear out on a couple of outings before hand. I have the kindle app on my Iphone and it works fine. I did take a camera but my I phone would have been adequate for my photographic skills. You are packing more clothing than I would carry but I am not a woman so you will have to trust yourself on that point. I have a Marmot Plasma 30 which is just about right for a hike beginning now and is comparable in terms of weight. I found the extras were not necessary. Re-supply will provide you with all you will need and if your lighter runs out or you need so vitamin I others will provide. You will find that every ounce matters. From your list I think you may be taking more water than you need to carry. I found two liters at a time was plenty adequate and water was not scarce.
I am not your father but I am old enough to be your grandfather and I would suggest you ditch the gun. I have never felt at all concerned about my safety as regards others or animals while hiking the AT, rocks and roots are something else, however. Just enjoy your hike and keep it as light as you feel you comfortably can.

Feral Bill
04-17-2012, 13:19
You might consider that in several states along the trail you will not be able to legally carry a hand gun, and could end your hike in jail.

Winds
04-17-2012, 13:29
You might consider that in several states along the trail you will not be able to legally carry a hand gun, and could end your hike in jail.

Since you brought it up, which states?

Feral Bill
04-17-2012, 13:40
Since you brought it up, which states?MA, NY, NJ, and maybe others don't recognize other states permit, or issue to non residents. Otherwise, it would depend on the OPs permit and reciprocity for every state but Vermont.

oldbear
04-17-2012, 13:51
MA, NY, NJ, and maybe others don't recognize other states permit, or issue to non residents. Otherwise, it would depend on the OPs permit and reciprocity for every state but Vermont.
And it's illegal to fire the weapon in any NP or bring it into any Federal facility
More:
http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/02/19/new-gun-rules-in-wildlife-refuges.htm

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 14:05
Just some thoughts...Everything you've posted is actually skin-out weight...You'll be using your trekking poles (~15oz), wearing your shoes (13oz), and a set of clothes (~16oz)...Also, look into getting the kindle app for the iphone (it's free and does the same job, that would save you some weight..I was actually debating bringing my ipad, but really it's just a big iphone). People are probably gonna mention you don't need the trowel or the gun. I'm still a newb and starting in July, but I've been studying lists like crazy. You're big 4 are actually very good (and damn near the same thing I have).

Thats awesome, I didnt know they had that app for the iphone. Thank you!

And the trowel I was reading on one of the AT websites that you have to dig a 5-6 inch deep hole to go to the bathroom in out there so I thought I had to have one

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 14:13
A couple of random thoughts:

1. You don't actually have any of this gear yet, or very little of it, right? What I have found is that a theoretical gear list always weighs less than a real, loaded pack. No matter how careful I am with my spreadsheet, the final product weighs more than I expected.

2. You're not going to like the Jam with 37 pounds in it. Not. At. All. I'll venture to say that you won't like the Jam with 27 pounds in it, either. The Jam is a frameless rucksack -- basically a giant stuff sack with shoulder straps. It's a perfectly nice pack, but it's very specialized. Trust me when I say that you are going to want something with an internal frame of some sort, like a ULA Circuit or similar. The slight increase in weight is well worth it (but don't go crazy - a 7-pound pack is not more comfortable than a 2-pound pack.)

3. I expect you'll find the Kindle far more useful than the firearm.

4. With that 45-F bag, the down vest is a very good idea. We had sub-freezing temps at Springer in early June. Also, does the Phantom 45 have a full length zipper? My wife had a Phantom 32, and it had a half-zipper. That's one reason she sold it - the other reason was that it was way underfilled with down. A full length zipper lets you open the bag and use as a quilt in warmer weather.

5. I still think the best thing anyone can do to prepare for a thru-hike is to get out on the trail for a couple of weeks beforehand. This will let you figure out your gear, and your hiking style, and make any necessary tweaks before the big hike. If you can do that this summer, I'd recommend it.

Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestions. I sort of anticipated my pack would be heavier once I actually got everything in there for real so when making the list I sort of tacked out an ounce here and there just to play it on the safe side. I am pretty sure the phantom does not open up to a quilt, I will have to look into that. And I agree with getting out there for a bit to test the gear. I don't think I will be able to actually practice a couple weeks on the AT because it is on the other side of the country for me but once I have all of my gear I think I will find something in AZ to do for a week or two (not the same as the AT practice, but better than no trial run).

Again thank you for your input!

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 14:25
While by no means an expert here, I pipe up...could save you a couple pounds..or not...

I carry only 1 long sleeve and one short sleeve shirt and only one pr extra underwear
why 2 pr shorts? especially if you have the tights and rain pants
For summer I would definitely not carry rain pants
I don't carry camp shoes when using light hiking shoes
I don't carry trowel
carrying gloves and a beanie with a summer weight bag seems a bit of a contradiction. If cold enough for gloves, it might be too cold for that bag. If cold enough for beanie, might be too cold to just carry vest (vs. jacket). I'm not sure where you'll be so weather is an unknown.
maybe ditch the platy for a couple gatoraide bottles
4 oz for paracord seems about twice what mine weighs
lighter knife?
no camp towel - use bandana.
5 oz of wet wipes AND TP...thatsalotta
duct tape goes on hiking poles. Yea, you carry it, but not in pack
heavy camera, Will I-phone work as camera too, elliminating an extra charger as well. (sorry if my lack of techno knowledge is showing through).
Since you get to town every 4 days or so you might ditch the extra batteries, extra bic, extra ibuprofen, extra vitamins, etc...maybe bounce those or rely on hiker boxes and purchasing as you go.

suggest aquamira

Two pounds may not seem like much but to each their own. Lightening my pack is both about light weight items (done that) and now its about elliminating stuff. For now I'm focusing more on not needing what I really don't need and figuring out what that is.
Have fun!!

Great suggestions! I am thinking about buying a light weight camera and I'm not buying the Iphone till october so I am unsure of its memory capacity for lots of pictures and videos but that would be a great substitute cuz my camera is pretty big. And the clothing is where I am very unsure (clearly) because I have read on websites that it is still very rainy and cold in the summer there from time to time, but also very hot and humid at others but thats good news cuz I think rain pants are really uncomfortable anyways (the poncho on the list goes pretty far down my legs anyways). I guess I chose two pairs of shorts cuz I am assuming it will be hot more often than cold and I love running shorts. But maybe I should just bring one and if they ware out I can pick up another pair along the way. I had read somewhere that 30-50 ft of paracord is what you need but I will look around for some lighter weight cord. I think I will just use the wet wipes instead of tp. And its good to know there are often enough stops for batteries and meds. I still need to buy the guide books so I wasn't sure how often certain items would be available along the trail. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 14:28

I am aware of this. That is why I said that I am still undecided. I have been looking into the individual state's laws and permits required and such so we will see. Im sure my knife will keep me safe enough anyways

2 Dogs
04-17-2012, 14:31
It's real simple ............... See Winton @ Mountain Crossings ............. He'll do you right .................

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 14:37
And it's illegal to fire the weapon in any NP or bring it into any Federal facility
More:
http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/02/19/new-gun-rules-in-wildlife-refuges.htm

Yeah I understand guys. I tend to float towards wanting one because I live in what they call a "safe" part of town and I have still had someone break into my house and my gun saved me, my car was stolen from right outside my house, and a few other minor scary things. As a young woman my chances of encountering danger, I feel, are greater than most and I always carry one now. I guess I was just born and raised around a whole family who carries guns and I have grown dependent on that feeling of security. I think I will do a trip here in AZ and just bring my knife to see if I am able to sleep at night. Nonetheless, I am very appreciative of everyone's input on the subject and I will be thinking about this over the next year.

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 14:39
It's real simple ............... See Winton @ Mountain Crossings ............. He'll do you right .................

Yeah I am going to do that! Sounds like the perfect triple check before I head out, thank you!!

Rocket Jones
04-17-2012, 14:48
1. You should carry enough clothes to be warm at the coldest temps if you wear everything. If it's colder than that, get into your bag.

2. You should have one set of clothes for hiking and a second set for sleeping. An extra set of hiking socks is often carried.

Beyond the above 2 rules, any extra clothes are useless weight.

Slo-go'en
04-17-2012, 14:53
At the risk of turning this into a gun-no gun thread, ditch the gun and keep the Kindle. Carrying a firearm is a big responsability and has all kinds of potentual for liability issues. The decision to carry one should not be taken lightly.

Slo-go'en
04-17-2012, 14:58
Yeah I understand guys. I tend to float towards wanting one because I live in what they call a "safe" part of town and I have still had someone break into my house and my gun saved me.

Didn't think to check your location, I can see now you live in sort of a war zone. You can leave that mentality home when you come out to the AT.

pyroman53
04-17-2012, 15:01
go to trailjournals.com and read some journals...you'll get a feel for weather, trail stops, people, diffuclty, etc. This year I've been following Second Stage, swamp rat, and Deisel.
Stops can be every few days...you're seldom more than a day or so from a bail-out point
Laundramat at most stops. Food resupply. Goodwill or something (to buy another pair of shorts) Post Office to mail yourself a box of extra supplies and off season gear for use later (this is called a bounce box since it "bounces along with you up the trail)

A few years ago Certain had a good journal...Stumpknocker...Marta (I can't remember her trailname) - read and enjoy. You'll get the idea. Its gunna be great!

Spokes
04-17-2012, 15:09

Agreed. Here's a little preview of the only gear list you really need. It yields a 16-18 lb. base weight cold weather pack. Tried and true by thousands of successful thru hikers. Gloves and fleece cap are givens. Add a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Trim for summer to go even lighter.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Cheers!

Odd Man Out
04-17-2012, 15:38
Agreed. Here's a little preview of the only gear list you really need. It yields a 16-18 lb. base weight cold weather pack. Tried and true by thousands of successful thru hikers. Gloves and fleece cap are givens. Add a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Trim for summer to go even lighter.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Cheers!

While I like the Mountain Crossing's Method and have been using it to formulate my own packing list, is it really complete? In addition to the gloves, warm hat, and bag liner, these often-packed items are not on the list:

Duct tape, rope, some kind of skin ointments (body glide, vaseline, bag balm), butane lighter/matches, sun had, clothes bag, food bag, fuel bottle, freezer bags, cell phone/charger, camera, trekking poles, wallet (and contents), head lamp, watch, backpack, maps, pencil, compass, toiletry bag containing toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, soap, TP.

The OP has been particularly diligent at listing everything, which I like as I'm a bit paranoid about missing something important, while at the same time not carrying too much.

Spokes
04-17-2012, 16:42
While I like the Mountain Crossing's Method and have been using it to formulate my own packing list, is it really complete? In addition to the gloves, warm hat, and bag liner, these often-packed items are not on the list:

Duct tape, rope, some kind of skin ointments (body glide, vaseline, bag balm), butane lighter/matches, sun had, clothes bag, food bag, fuel bottle, freezer bags, cell phone/charger, camera, trekking poles, wallet (and contents), head lamp, watch, backpack, maps, pencil, compass, toiletry bag containing toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, soap, TP.

The OP has been particularly diligent at listing everything, which I like as I'm a bit paranoid about missing something important, while at the same time not carrying too much.

heheheheheee...... Funny.

DavidNH
04-17-2012, 16:55
So 40 pounds is your max total pack weight.. with water and food included? I'd say you're good to go. I carried a little over 50 pounds into Maine's 100 mile wilderness (that's six days food). I really think many folks here squabble too much about pack weight. Do some practice hikes before you through hike and find out what works for you. If you find your pack too heavy when you start out, you can always send stuff home and tweak things along the way.

When I hiked in 2006, I found that those folks who where hyper weight sensitive (carried those ultra light packs) where the ones who did the high mileage and did the slack packing.

davidnh

Old Boots
04-17-2012, 17:15
One of my companions on my last hike carried a little mp3 player loaded with audio books and music to entertain himself after hit the sack. I will do that the next time to cut down the monotony of long dark nights.

Old Boots
04-17-2012, 17:26
My big 4: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2.2 lbs), Marmot Plasma 30 (1.7 lbs) or Never Summer 0 deg. (2.10?), Therma-rest Neoair long (@1 lb) and ULA Circuit (@2 lbs.) so I come in at @ 7-9 lbs. At my age athat's plenty.

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 17:27
So 40 pounds is your max total pack weight.. with water and food included? I'd say you're good to go. I carried a little over 50 pounds into Maine's 100 mile wilderness (that's six days food). I really think many folks here squabble too much about pack weight. Do some practice hikes before you through hike and find out what works for you. If you find your pack too heavy when you start out, you can always send stuff home and tweak things along the way.

When I hiked in 2006, I found that those folks who where hyper weight sensitive (carried those ultra light packs) where the ones who did the high mileage and did the slack packing.

davidnh

Thanks, after a bit of tweeking I was able to get the skin-out weight down to about 32lbs including five days food (2lbs a day) and carrying 50 oz of water. I am not sure on how much my food will weigh so 2lbs a day is on the high side, If I can carry 1.5lbs/day then I will be able to cut the skin-out weight down to 30lbs possibly a little less. I would be pretty happy with that weight considering I was starting at 40lbs.

s.ivanoff
04-17-2012, 17:32
My big 4: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2.2 lbs), Marmot Plasma 30 (1.7 lbs) or Never Summer 0 deg. (2.10?), Therma-rest Neoair long (@1 lb) and ULA Circuit (@2 lbs.) so I come in at @ 7-9 lbs. At my age athat's plenty.

I was originally going to go with the same big agnes tent but I read a couple bad reviews and had been directed to the lightheart solo. And after someone suggested the ULA circuit I looked at the pack online and it seems like a great pack so I think that is the one I will be going with now. I think the original big 4 items i picked out totaled to 9lbs but I was able to get it down to 5.8lbs.

oldbear
04-17-2012, 17:36
s.ivanoff
as a solo hiker it is critically important to the rest of your life that you be able to effect a self rescue should you have an encounter with hypothermia ; aka E&E : aka Exhaustion and Exposure : aka The killer of the unprepared .
With that in mind you should seriously consider carrying a 15 degree warmer bag , a gasoline stove , a fleece pull over , a warm hat and 25% more weight in food than non -solo hikers are carrying

kevperro
04-17-2012, 20:35
I'm surprised this hasn't degenerated into a gun thread. Carry if you feel the need but you will most likely be sending it home. The trail is probably the safest place in America. You run into odd people but the only scary ones are in towns.

I'd recommend at looking at the packing list of people who have actually finished a Thru-hike. All kinds of people generate packing list but if you focus on the people who finished you will get a better idea of what is actually useful.

waasj
04-17-2012, 20:50
If you have to ask,it's probably too heavy. Keep whittling away the little stuff and look at your food.

jeffmeh
04-18-2012, 00:28
The ULA Circuit is a great choice. If you haven't already bought the sleeping bag, you may want to take a look at some of the down quilts. For the same weight you could get one rated for colder temps, or you could shave a few ounces for the same rating. I would opt for the former, as I do find it pretty easy to regulate my temperature with a quilt even in warmer weather.

Bucho
04-18-2012, 07:58
I was originally going to go with the same big agnes tent but I read a couple bad reviews and had been directed to the lightheart solo. And after someone suggested the ULA circuit I looked at the pack online and it seems like a great pack so I think that is the one I will be going with now. I think the original big 4 items i picked out totaled to 9lbs but I was able to get it down to 5.8lbs.

My girlfriend and I hiked with the Big Agnes sl2 last year. We liked it, I would have liked to go with something that was even a little lighter but Jen was worried about the whole UL thing and threatened to break up with me over it. However, you'll see plenty of lightheart solo's on the trail. People love them.

I also used the circuit for my thru hike, considering the kind of time you're trying to do this in I'd say that the ohm should be more the sort of thing that you want to look into.

rocketsocks
04-18-2012, 08:35
My girlfriend and I hiked with the Big Agnes sl2 last year. We liked it, I would have liked to go with something that was even a little lighter but Jen was worried about the whole UL thing and threatened to break up with me over it. However, you'll see plenty of lightheart solo's on the trail. People love them.

I also used the circuit for my thru hike, considering the kind of time you're trying to do this in I'd say that the ohm should be more the sort of thing that you want to look into.Baby got back! Awesome,sounds like a keeper.

bfayer
04-18-2012, 12:39
s.ivanoff
as a solo hiker it is critically important to the rest of your life that you be able to effect a self rescue should you have an encounter with hypothermia ; aka E&E : aka Exhaustion and Exposure : aka The killer of the unprepared .
With that in mind you should seriously consider carrying a 15 degree warmer bag , a gasoline stove , a fleece pull over , a warm hat and 25% more weight in food than non -solo hikers are carrying

What exactly is agasoline stove going to do that any other type of stove is not?

Stoves don't. Prevent hypothermia staying dry does.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

oldbear
04-18-2012, 13:24
What exactly is agasoline stove going to do that any other type of stove is not?

Stoves don't. Prevent hypothermia staying dry does.

In a self -rescue from a near death experience w/ hypothermia it is critically important to the rest of your life that you find a way to quickly get warm liquids into your body to warm up your core
In order to do that you need a stove that meets all of these requirements
It must be idiot proof
It must be as reliable as sun on the desert
It must immune to the vagaries of weather
It must be able to get liquid up to temp quickly
It must have a long burn time per tank
And the only kind of stove that meets those parameters is a gasoline stove like my trusty old Svea -123
which as it so happens was an integral part of my sucessful self rescue from hypothermia over 40 years ago on the Presidentials
Yes hypothermia is usually preventable and ideally nobody would ever it But we don't live in an ideal world we live in real world where even experienced hikers still die from it

bfayer
04-18-2012, 13:39
In a self -rescue from a near death experience w/ hypothermia it is critically important to the rest of your life that you find a way to quickly get warm liquids into your body to warm up your core
In order to do that you need a stove that meets all of these requirements
It must be idiot proof
It must be as reliable as sun on the desert
It must immune to the vagaries of weather
It must be able to get liquid up to temp quickly
It must have a long burn time per tank
And the only kind of stove that meets those parameters is a gasoline stove like my trusty old Svea -123
which as it so happens was an integral part of my sucessful self rescue from hypothermia over 40 years ago on the Presidentials
Yes hypothermia is usually preventable and ideally nobody would ever it But we don't live in an ideal world we live in real world where even experienced hikers still die from it

My jet boil does that, my windpro II does that, and so does a pile of sticks and a match.

As for the Svea I retired that over 25 years when I bought my whisper light. Althought I still like my Svea it is the most fussy stove I own especially in cold weather.

There is no need to carry a gas stove unless you hike in the winter below 0 degrees or just like really like them.

oldbear
04-18-2012, 13:46
I guess I must have used my Svea enough to get all of the bugs worked out .
I too bought a whisper light bc having a stove that ran off of a 1 quart bottle appealed to me at the time
Hated it
Back to using a Svea 123

bfayer
04-18-2012, 14:04
I guess I must have used my Svea enough to get all of the bugs worked out .
I too bought a whisper light bc having a stove that ran off of a 1 quart bottle appealed to me at the time
Hated it
Back to using a Svea 123

I bet you use the optional pump :)

My favorite gas stove is my optimus 99, but with new options its not worth the weight.

To the OP, it sounds like you have your weight down to a good starting point. Once you get all your gear, go hike. It wont take long to figure out what works for you.

No two people are alike and everyone carries a load differently. The biggest mistake people make is starting a long hike with gear they have never actually used.

Now a days if I have to carry more than 30 pounds I am not a happy camper :)

Moose2001
04-18-2012, 14:20
With the exception of the Golite Jam pack and the gun, I think the OP has a pretty well thought out gear list. We can all talk about cutting ounces here or there or advocate ultralite but the only way you really learn how to do that is to get out and hike. We all have to learn what works for us and what doesn't. Then we make changes. Take your stuff, hit the trail and have a great time.

Bucho
04-18-2012, 14:43
Here's a plan that will give you a rough idea of what you're getting yourself into http://www.theatguide.com/2010%20PlanNobo18.htm

You've got a lot of clothing, I'm not a good person to help you cut weight there but I see extra weight.

Hiking solo do you really need a cup, bowl and pot? Seems like you can cut out at least one of those I cut out two.

Here's the .9 oz knife I brought and ended up sending home because I found that I just didn't need a knife: http://www.crkt.com/PECKin-the-Dark-Wharncliffe-Black-Razor-Sharp-Edge

Everybody gets rid of the trowel.

Depending on which kindle you have it's possible to journal on your Kindle.

Feral Bill
04-18-2012, 15:44
. Althought I still like my Svea it is the most fussy stove I own especially in cold weather.

Operator error.

bfayer
04-18-2012, 20:02
Operator error.

No I can work it just fine. It's just every other stove I own is less fussy. Svea stoves are the backpacking stove version of a Harley, those that love them will never see or admit their short comings.

Nutbrown
04-18-2012, 20:49
Do you have the camera on your iphone? If so, leave the camera and batteries at home.
the 1.3l pot seems huge. Can you freezer bag cook? Being solo, you won't have to heat so much water for your meals. You can just heat up water 2x in the ti cup.
Take 1 pair of shorts and one long sleeve shirt. In the summer you might just be hiking in your sports bra. What are you sleeping in? It's nice to have something non crunchy at night. I take 2-3 pair of undies. You can wash and dry em on your pack for that oh so fresh feeling at the end of the day.

Something to consider if you carry, which you prob have, is where you will carry. Ankle? Waist? Shoulder strap? If in the pack, the gun becomes pointless.

Bucho
04-19-2012, 00:57
I've got to say I didn't see many gas stoves on the AT. Seemed like the common options were a pocket rocket or some sort of alcohol stove.

Connie
04-23-2012, 11:14
I have that knife. My present knife is Piranha Alpine Knife: it cuts webbing and paracord.

I also carry mini folding sissors (Made in China) for my 1st aid kit. When I used to have blisters, before I found out a narrow heel makes the difference in footwear, for me, I cut a slightly larger than blister size hole in the Moleskin. The Moleskin thickness goodness took all the pressure off the blister. I now carry these items as an act of charity for blister sufferers.

Hairbrush? Headband? Hairtie? Depends on your hair type. I separate the tangles with my fingers and have my hair go au natural pulled thru the back opening of a REI LED Trail Cap. Any baseball-type cap will do. In wind, my long hair is tucked inside the back of my shirt, windshirt, poncho, jacket hood, etc.

Petzyl Tikka XP Headlamp? Ditto. I have a REI LED Trail Cap. It lights up the world at night. In addition, I have a Photon X-Light Micro LED because with squeeze-and-hold and quick squeeze ON/OFF it can be set to the lowest brightness setting for a nighttime pee without waking everyone camping nearby. This is very considerate.

Crocs? I have water shoes. Not as cushy comfortable as Crocs, water shoes give me more protection in Montana high mountain stream crossings. Maybe not a consideration for the AT, I don't know.

Trowel? Take one or even two triangle-shape tent stakes for the ridgeline of you tent of choice. Use one for the trowell.

Biners? Learn easy to pull out, but not slip out, knots.

Foil windscreen? Never holds up for much time. Titanium, yes. Worth every $$$. Suluk 46 has them for sale. Less money to purchase the foil from Suluk46 or from TiGoat and find someone with a spot welder to make the circle diameter and height to fit your stove and cookware of choice.

Evernew Titanium 1.3L cook pot?
Snow Peak titanium bowl?
MSR Titan Cup (for cocoa and coffee)?

Maybe consider your cook pot as a bowl.

Maybe all three, as I do. I have the Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra for all three.

If more civilized, have a separate cup. It could be insulated and sized to use to support freezer bag cooking.

I used to think 1.3 liter cookware was essential. I decided that kind of thinking was based on the saucepan size I like at home. Now a 2-cup cookware, with headroom to avoid boil over, is almost too much for solo backpacking.

In fact, my Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra is 2-cup cookware with lots of room to avoid boil over. This my favorite.

In fact, recently, I am heating 1-cup for my hot drink, then, heating 2-cups for my freezer bag meal or cooking in the pan by heating the primary ingredients and putting a little mound of couscous in the middle to soak up the liquids and calling it done.

double d
04-23-2012, 11:21
"Don't Pack Your Fears"

QiWiz
04-23-2012, 11:33
I am planning to thru-hike the AT and I wanted to know if my total weight is too much.

Total weight: 40lbs (this includes everything packed, food, water, clothing & shoes worn and trekking poles carried). Pack weight is around 37lbs not including my clothing&shoes worn and my trekking poles

Food: 14lbs (7days, 2lbs/day) This is the max amount of food I will be carrying so it will vary depending on how often I stop so it may go to 10lbs for 5 days

Water: 2 liters (4lbs) at a time (refill mid day)

I think once I get going I will realize that I don't need some things so I will send them home or throw out so I know it will lighten as I go but I want peoples opinions on whether or not this is manageable. I am young, I don't have any preexisting aches or issues, and I am in pretty good shape. But I do plan to do the hike pretty quickly (4 months max due to time restraints) and this will be my first backpacking trip longer than a few days aka I'm a rookie.

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

Just a few reactions. You will enjoy your hike more if you carry less, so efforts to go lighter pay off. I think you will find you rarely need to be carrying 2 liters of water if you have a good guidebook that tells you where the water sources are. Same with 7 days food. Resupply more often and carry less food. Makes a huge difference.

Other than that, do not know what else makes up your weight, so hard to be specific. If I were hiking, my pack would never be heavier than about 25 pounds (5-6 days of food and 40 oz water included), clothes worn not included. For me, that's a pretty high pack weight, but everyone needs to decide for themselves what they want to do. HYOH!

Connie
04-23-2012, 11:34
I forgot to say, Fiskars sissors will cut titanium foil.

Icebreakers? I have one Icebreakers half-zip with a mock turtleneck for colder weather. Icebreakers merino is soft. The half-zip and mock turtleneck stlye ventilates well and protects the back of your neck from getting chilled. I have a lightweight half-zip and mock turtleneck for everything else. I like the versatility of that style.

If really cold, consider a winter wool bicycle shirt and handwarmers for two of the traditional back pockets. I used to carry that combination, if in doubt, about the rest of my gear to keep me warm enough.

On the AT you would have to be starting early or ending late, I understand, to get really cold weather. Of course, the wind or cold rain can make it all feel much colder.

Connie
04-23-2012, 12:47
I should also say, there will be hot weather.

I wear a tank top under a vented lightweight long-sleeved fisherman's-type shirt for hot weather. I want protection from the sun. I can roll-up the sleeves. I also have a flap for the back of my hat. I also use cooling neckband.

http://www.gofastandlight.com/BluBandoo-Cooling-Neckband-Evaporative-Cool-Effect/productinfo/CL-BBNECK/ has other cooling options for hats and like that. Crystal Cool (http://www.questoutfitters.com/miscelaneous-cart.htm#CRYSTAL%20COOL) is available from Quest for DIY/MYOG. It works great!