PDA

View Full Version : PA Survival School

ljcsov
04-16-2012, 22:34
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know of any survival schools in PA, specifically Central PA? I am looking to pick up some skills this summer and would like to partake in a course in wilderness first aid or survival. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

coach lou
04-16-2012, 22:42
get yourself a Boy Scout Field Book, it covers alot of info.

chip2012
04-16-2012, 22:44
Check with your local red cross or fire department.

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2012, 22:45
well check in here subscribe... look I have talked about survival here, it has little to do with the AT... and most hiking AT folk are not that interested..

so look here.... http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forum.php

birchy
04-17-2012, 09:47
Check with the Wilderness Medicine Institute, they can point you to various seminars or organizations in the area.

Smooth & Wasabi
04-17-2012, 19:37
If you don't have the basic cpr and first aid from red cross or american heart association they are usually the most accessible, red cross does have a version of wilderness first aide called when help is delayed but offerings are usually few and far between. There is a 2/3 day wilderness first aid and then the standard weeklong WFR. Maybe see if a university near you with an active outdoors club offers them. For real survival you aren't too far from the tracker school in NJ but they are a week long and pricey.

ljcsov
04-19-2012, 09:09
Tracker school is a bit out of my price range for now. I am thinking the Pathfinder school might be the way to go. Unfortunately, its about a six hour drive but that isn't horrible.

grayfox
04-19-2012, 16:32
Go to utube and watch all the Pathfinder School videos. Survival is more about a way of thinking than anything else and Dave can teach you what you need in his videos. It would be good fun to do one of his schools. It would be a safe place to challenge yourself if that is what you are wanting.

Skills are imporant but you can practice them one at a time and learn a lot by yourself without being in a survival situation--as we all should be doing anyway.

rocketsocks
04-19-2012, 16:58
Tracker school is a bit out of my price range for now. I am thinking the Pathfinder school might be the way to go. Unfortunately, its about a six hour drive but that isn't horrible.Luke I'm sure this not what you had in mind,but may be worth checking out if only for some links.www.pawg.cap.gov/hawk_mountain

rocketsocks
04-19-2012, 17:09
Luke I'm sure this not what you had in mind,but may be worth checking out if only for some links.www.pawg.cap.gov/hawk_mountain (http://www.pawg.cap.gov/hawk_mountain)incedentily,found it by accident,when looking for a place to shoot,while a trip out there last summer.

Papa D
04-19-2012, 21:43
Big difference between "survival stuff" which is pretty much the realm of crazy redneck types and actual woodland skills which is the realm of backpackers and outdoors people who can actually survive in wilderness and backcountry settings. You mentioned wilderness first aid. Go to the Wilderness Medical Associates Website www.wildmed.com - - if you have time, a Wilderness First Responder class is more or less the "industry standard" - - you will also learn a lot in "Wilderness Advanced First Aid."

Nothing builds better outdoor skills than practice with a good mentor but two great groups come to mind that you could seek out in your area - - Outward Bound and National Outdoor Leadership Schools (NOLS)

www.outwardbound.org
www.nols.edu

A boyscout handbook might teach you a few things but you might also find it chocked full of dated and unnecessary items.

Probably the best book I know on wilderness travel and "survival" (I'll use that term real loosely) is called Freedom of the Hills by "the Mountaineers" - - it is oriented toward climbing and alpinism but is chocked full of very appropriate information - - it starts with clothing, teaches route finding techniques, climbing anchors, rescue stuff, camping skills, etc.

Another older book about survival that I have read cover to cover several times is simply called How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier - - this is pretty much the how to get just about everything done in the woods when things are going wrong bible. It is a little dated too.

The third book that I will recommend is very old (c.1967) but I still like it: It's called, The Wilderness Routefinder, by Calvin Rutstrum - - it is incredibly dated - mine has that musty old bookstore smell but if you commit to reading it and learning the skills, you will really have some fun orienteering.