PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Day

stomparound85
04-03-2005, 10:36
Just wondering how many of yall will be at the annual gathering in Damascus this year. Whats some of your favorite Trail days stories?:welcome :banana

attroll
04-03-2005, 13:46
So far it is looking good far me being there. As long as my ride (PCM25) does not back out on me. I dread the 900 plus mile ride though to get there.

Frosty
04-03-2005, 14:05
I'm leaving Springer April 11, so assuming it takes about amonth (is this right?) I should be hitting Damascus around Trail Days.

Is this a good thing? Or should I try to avoid it? I had been planning on buying food there and spending a night. Will everything be chocker-block full and/or sold out?

One Leg
04-03-2005, 15:04
I'll be there on the 13th & 14th.

Jack Tarlin
04-03-2005, 16:00
Frosty:

While it's doable, thirty days to Damascus is a pretty fair clip. Most folks take closer to forty. I think Erwin or Kincora Hostel is a more reasonable guess as to where you'll be, and both Miss Janet and Bob Peoples will be going to Trail Days......in large vehicles. When the festival is over, you can easily get back to wherever you need to go. And if you go back to Kincora, you can help Bob with his annual post-Trail Days maintenance project.

As to crowds ast Trail Days, the lodging places and hostels will likely be full, but there's tons of free camping for thru-hikers. So as far as places being
"choker-block full" or sold out, you shouldn't have a problem, unless you really want to stay under a roof that weekend.

Jaybird
04-03-2005, 16:09
will be taking a "ZERO" Day in Damascus on Sunday May 8th & heading out the following day...missing TRAIL DAYS 2005...all together...

ya'll have FUN now...

Apr 28-May 5 NoBo Hot Springs to Erwin (w/ "the Model T crew")
May 6 & 7 Sobo Carvers Gap back to Erwin
May 8-20 NoBo Damascus to Pearisburg,VA :D

Frosty
04-03-2005, 17:15
Frosty:

While it's doable, thirty days to Damascus is a pretty fair clip. Most folks take closer to forty. I think Erwin or Kincora Hostel is a more reasonable guess as to where you'll be, and both Miss Janet and Bob Peoples will be going to Trail Days......in large vehicles. When the festival is over, you can easily get back to wherever you need to go. And if you go back to Kincora, you can help Bob with his annual post-Trail Days maintenance project.

As to crowds ast Trail Days, the lodging places and hostels will likely be full, but there's tons of free camping for thru-hikers. So as far as places being
"choker-block full" or sold out, you shouldn't have a problem, unless you really want to stay under a roof that weekend.Yeah, it is a bit more of a jaunt than I thought before checking mileages. I guess I'll get there right after. Ot catch a ride, as you say.

I meant to say chocker-block full, not choker-block full, but now that I look at it, I wonder what the hell I meant by it. Must be something my grandfather used to say :)

Footslogger
04-03-2005, 17:24
We'll be hiking into Damascus on the 12th from Kincora. Plan to hang out for a bit and then head back down to Kincora for the HardCore Tail project.

'Slogger and Mrs. 'Slogger (aka BadAss Turtle)

A-Train
04-03-2005, 17:34
Sorry I'm missing the party. My last exam is that friday morning and getting from Vermont to VA may be problematic. And I've got ridgerunner training a few days after that, so it'll probably take a miracle to be there.

Ya'll have fun though, and hopefully I'll see some of you at the WB gathering up north

Doctari
04-03-2005, 17:47
Can't hike this year, no vacation days, so I had planned on dropping by as I want to aviod TD when/if I thru.

BUT, at $2.26 a gallon for gas, I can't afford to drive that far either. Works out to something like $85.00 worth of GO Juice round trip.

Oh well.

Doctari.

Lilred
04-03-2005, 22:31
I'm going to try to make it up there this year. I have a free day off from work I won at our xmas party, may use it that Friday. Met some great folks attempting thru-hikes. Saxy Lady and Fusion for two. Okie is hiking up from Springer to Trail Days too. Hope to see them there.

VAMTNHIKER
04-04-2005, 07:06
I plan on coming Friday through Sunday morning ... driving from Va Beach.

Attroll... I am planning on working the Whiteblaze booth as much as you need me... past that, I am just going to enjoy my first Trail Days ... and meeting all y'all!

:jump

stomparound85
04-04-2005, 13:10
I plan on coming Friday through Sunday morning ... driving from Va Beach.

Attroll... I am planning on working the Whiteblaze booth as much as you need me... past that, I am just going to enjoy my first Trail Days ... and meeting all y'all!

:jump
how do you get hooked up with working the WB booth?:-? :banana

attroll
04-04-2005, 13:40
wbdent Right now there really is no WhiteBlaze booth. Fishinfred from the site here who is now thru-hiking created a banner for us and got permission for us to set the banner up in front of the outfitters in town where he is going to sell some of his stuff. He said he would put a register book there for WhiteBlaze members to come by and sign. If I make it there I will bring what I have left for T-shirts and patches to sell. I am working on some wicking hiking shirts as we speak now. But I don’t know if I will get them done by Trail Days. So there is no big fancy booth. But it gives us someplace to setup as long as it does not fall through. If I make it to Trail Days and they let us set up there I will be there Saturday. I appreciate any help if some want to help at the booth. I don’t want to be tied up in the booth all day. This is my first Trail Days and I may never make another one, so I would like to experience Trail Days so I don’t want to be stuck in the so called booth all day.

Pencil Pusher
04-04-2005, 18:52
Just put up a sign that reads: "Just like on the internet, the webmaster is not always around. Visit http://www.whiteblaze.net for more information."

stomparound85
04-04-2005, 23:50
Right now there really is no WhiteBlaze booth. Fishinfred from the site here who is now thru-hiking created a banner for us and got permission for us to set the banner up in front of the outfitters in town where he is going to sell some of his stuff. He said he would put a register book there for WhiteBlaze members to come by and sign. If I make it there I will bring what I have left for T-shirts and patches to sell. I am working on some wicking hiking shirts as we speak now. But I don’t know if I will get them done by Trail Days. So there is no big fancy booth. But it gives us someplace to setup as long as it does not fall through. If I make it to Trail Days and they let us set up there I will be there Saturday. I appreciate any help if some want to help at the booth. I don’t want to be tied up in the booth all day. This is my first Trail Days and I may never make another one, so I would like to experience Trail Days so I don’t want to be stuck in the so called booth all day.
I could possibly stay at the booth for a little. Hey to really experience trail days you need to stay in the camp ground. it really fun. hope to see you there. :clap

VAMTNHIKER
04-05-2005, 07:10
Count on me to be available!

VAMTNHIKER
04-05-2005, 07:15
Since this is the first time at Trail Days...

Recommendations for where to stay? ... enough trees for hammocks? Still foom at hostels, etc?

Big Guy
04-05-2005, 21:52
Plan to be there on Saturday unless there is a family emergency. I hab=ve gone every year for approx 6 years.

Jack Tarlin
04-06-2005, 09:47
VA:

The hostels will all be full unless you get to town very early.....like Wednesday.

Good news is there is plenty of rooom at the main campsite, just a bit out of town, and there are certainly places you could string a hammock.

(Quite frankly, this is better anyway, as the hostels are crazy all weekend what with all sorts of people coming and going at all hours for showers, to use the bathrooms, etc. Security-wise, I wouldn't want to leave my stuff lying around all weekend at a hostel; too many folks, too many non-hikers, etc).

Tim Rich
04-06-2005, 10:01
**** Right now there really is no WhiteBlaze booth. Fishinfred from the site here who is now thru-hiking created a banner for us and got permission for us to set the banner up in front of the outfitters in town where he is going to sell some of his stuff. He said he would put a register book there for WhiteBlaze members to come by and sign. If I make it there I will bring what I have left for T-shirts and patches to sell. I am working on some wicking hiking shirts as we speak now. But I don’t know if I will get them done by Trail Days. So there is no big fancy booth. But it gives us someplace to setup as long as it does not fall through. If I make it to Trail Days and they let us set up there I will be there Saturday. I appreciate any help if some want to help at the booth. I don’t want to be tied up in the booth all day. This is my first Trail Days and I may never make another one, so I would like to experience Trail Days so I don’t want to be stuck in the so called booth all day.

I'd like to see some of those wicked, I mean wicking, hiking shirts!

attroll
04-06-2005, 13:25
I'd like to see some of those wicked, I mean wicking, hiking shirts!
Well I hate to say it now, but I got word yesterday from the company I am dealing with that they can only put it on a white shirt. Sounds fishy to me. I will have to try and find another company. This stinks.

VAMTNHIKER
04-07-2005, 16:36
Thanks Jack!

Planning on being there Friday in the campground...

pipesmoke
04-07-2005, 20:21
" Be there or be square". It's the greatest circus on the trail. Will be there for the duration and there is no shortage of anything, I mean anything!!!!!

Skyline
04-07-2005, 20:29
Hiking in with my trail dawg Savannah from Massie Gap starting Tues., want to arrive Thurs. in Damascus in time for Savannah to win something at the Pet Show, and the evening events. Probably finishing on the Creeper. Anyone else gonna be on the Trail SOBO to Damascus around that time drop me a line (e-mail via my WB profile).

BTW, the entire 2005 TD schedule is here:

http://www.traildays.nstemp.com/