PDA

View Full Version : Any used or have any experience with Light Heart Solo - Wedge

jalbright79
04-17-2012, 00:19
Been looking for a light weight solo tent I am leaning towards the Light Heart Solo - Wedge. Just curious if anyone has used or have any experience with this tent. Address is below.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=16

Rangerman40
04-17-2012, 13:31
I love mine, but I don't use the wedge part as much as I thought I would.

allen3150
04-17-2012, 14:04
I bought a Lightheart solo (without wedge) in March. So far it has been great.

Spools
04-17-2012, 14:10
My wedge has been great so far, I'm in Erwin on my NOBO BASH and no complaints here. I can usually find a stick that works for the wedge support, so no need to carry that. Great tent and once you get the hiking pole lenght memorized setup is super quick. everyone with the hubbas and fly creeks are so jelly of it. especially when i tell them its only 26 oz with seam seal.

Odd Man Out
04-17-2012, 14:19
I'm looking at these too. Any comments regarding the relative merits of the wedge vs awning vs neither?

HeartFire
04-18-2012, 05:42
I'm looking at these too. Any comments regarding the relative merits of the wedge vs awning vs neither?
Disclaimer - I am LightHeart Gear, so my opinions are biased.

The basic difference between the wedge and the awning- the wedge is inserted into one of the tents that was made in China, (though they can be inserted in a custom tent made in the USA) the tents that were manufactured in China have a much higher waterproof rating than the American fabric. That is not to say the US fabric is not waterproof - it is, just that the China fabric has a much higher rating.
The wedge involves having 2 zippers in one place - one for the regular fly, one for the wedge, so adding a wedge adds about 1.5 oz to the weight of the tent. Some people have said it's too fiddly messing with the 2 different zippers, also, I use a Uretech water resistant zipper for the wedge and they are much stiffer, harder to open/close than regular zippers, but it helps to keep the rain from leaking through when the wedge is up. When closed (in a storm etc) the fly is the regular tent fly - zipped down, the wedge just hangs in the vestibule.

The Awning, does not have a zipper at all in the fly, so you avoid the weight of the 2 zippers, When closed, (for a storm etc) you have to 'fold' the fly down by hooking 3 tie out loops on a small caribiner (supplied) this can be a little tricky to do from inside the tent, and then, to get in or out of the tent, you release one loop from the caribiner (the one by the door) and crawl out from under the fly.

the benefit of the wedge/awning is that it can be kept in the up position in a mild rain, or at night in warm/hot weather protecting you from rain, but providing you with increased ventilation, allowing you to catch a breeze and also letting you look out the window and feel less claustrophobic.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Red Hat
04-18-2012, 16:17
I own and use the Lightheart Duo with wedge. I found that the wedge definitely was a benefit in venting to prevent excess condensation. This two man tent is great, and I recently used it alone in my Springer-Winding Stair 100 mile section. Two of us used it on the John Muir last year. Alone, it is luxurious. For two, there was still plenty of room for both of us and our packs.

Hoop
04-18-2012, 22:41
Got the wedge added to my Solo. Makes it more versatile.