PDA

View Full Version : Water on the AT - availability

One Half
04-17-2012, 08:59
What's the story on water this year? Here in New England we had VERY LITTLE snow all winter and even less rain this spring. I haven't been out on the trails yet but my guess would be water is scarce. We had 90 degree weather yesterday and the same today is predicted. Is everyone carrying extra water between points? Anyone run into spots where they would normally havewater only to find out the source is dried up already?

Tom Murphy
04-17-2012, 11:29
I agree. Unless we recieve signiifcant rainfall over the next few months, it will be a very dry trail in CT, MA, and NH.

VT and ME may be a different story.

goody5534
04-17-2012, 21:40
Since February I have been on the AT in CT 6 times from Kent thru Sages and have not had any water scarcity issues... Today I did Mt Alander-Mt Frissell and found water was abundant...

Heald
04-17-2012, 21:47
It looks like a dry year, but it could still rain throughout june, who knows.

coach lou
04-17-2012, 22:04
I also found plenty of water this winter, but if you look at the rivers [I fish] they are low and clear. They should be high and muddy at this time. This is a very bad sign.

lemon b
04-18-2012, 06:01
Crystal Mt, South into Dalton is totally dry. Leonard South to the River same way. The brook by CM is pretty much a trickle. Oct Mt is ok although the South side is dry. One needs to be really careful cooking in Ma. Haven't been up over Greylock yet this year. Letd hope we get some rain soon.

sweeper
04-18-2012, 07:56
It's been a dry late winter and early spring with early snowmelt and early runoff due to the really warm weather up Maine.
If it keeps up it might be a good bug year (few), still getting some frosty nights so we will see.
Maine usually has abundant H2o in the lowlands, at elevation it leaves fast during these conditions.

PapaGarrettP
04-18-2012, 08:08
Down south - Last week I hiked from the NOC in NC to Blue Ridge Gap in GA (about 60 miles). Water was plentiful from springs and streams.