PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol safe for cleaning clothes?

YerbaJon
04-03-2005, 13:55
I hike with only 2 pairs of socks and 2 pairs of underpants. Thus, I do laundry every night. I currently clean my clothes with simple camp soap. However, I have always been tempted to wash them in a water/rubbing alcohol mix. Seems like I would be less damaging to the environment and might kill more odor causing bacteria. My concern with alcohol is that I would be damaging the fibers. However, I could uncover no danger of using alcohol on man made fabrics except for a note about color changes on nylon and how it can remove a nylon fabrics coating. I actually found the reverse: turns out that rubbing alcohol is a fabric cleaners secret for removing stains.

My question: Anyone have any experience with washing their cloths with rubbing alcohol? Any of you who work with your own fabrics, and have more experience than I, have any thoughts for me about this? I don't want to destroy my socks or undies.

The Hammocker
04-03-2005, 17:48
why not just experement around

smokymtnsteve
04-03-2005, 17:53
under pants for what??...

ditch the undies ...a bring three pair of socks. wash every other day ;)

YerbaJon
04-03-2005, 18:02
under pants for what??...

ditch the undies ... ;)
Hmmm....... I guess you have a good point there. I thought I knew the what, but you have me re-examining the point.

Go free, eh?
My gut reaction is that I hate synthetics to touch me privies.
Any other free-birds out there wanna' chirp up?

YerbaJon
04-03-2005, 18:05
why not just experement around
Gulp! You are more gutsy than me. Not to mention the fact that my wife would laugh at me for a long time if I screw it up. If no one knows, I suppose I would be wise to soak some old synthetic liner in alcohol for a few days and see if it weakens the fabric. Just was hoping for a magical reply of, "here is your answer".

Doctari
04-03-2005, 18:22
I 2nd the no undies vote.

I think alcohol would kill the nasties, but long term contact with alcohol can be a bad thing.

Be safe

Doctari.

BookBurner
04-03-2005, 18:32
"Here is your answer" ... quit doing so much laundry!

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

smokymtnsteve
04-03-2005, 18:36
sometimes I boil my bandana to have it "germ free"

don't see why "boiling" your socks in good hot water might not work.

what I do with the banana or other item I want "clean "

I wash item until it is looking clean then I take my cook pot and put maybe 1 inch of water in it..git it boiling hot , which doesn't take long then add item and put on lid..boil for 30 seconds to a minute this Steam cleans and kills bacteria..also this cleans you pot too...

One Leg
04-03-2005, 19:49
What happens if your skivvies aren't dry when you don them, and your twins are chafed? Pain city-!!!!!!!! Leave the drawers at home...

Baker
04-07-2005, 15:21
At my old apartment, I didn't have a washer/dryer. Rather than wear those stinky, holey ol' cotton socks, I'd wear my coolmax liners and wash them at the end of the day in diluted rubbing alcohol to no ill effect. I did this for about three months...
So, rubbing alcohol won't hurt liners. It also kills any fungi that may be hanging out in the fibers.

I have no experience with any other materials and alcohol.

Oracle
04-07-2005, 15:54
Just wear a kilt.

The Hammocker
04-07-2005, 19:17
What happens if your skivvies aren't dry when you don them, and your twins are chafed? Pain city-!!!!!!!! Leave the drawers at home...True, but going "free"/"commando"/whatever can couse chafting too.

I say OUCH!!!!

Doctari
04-08-2005, 06:04
Just wear a kilt.

Kilts RULE!

Worn the way God intended of course :p

Oracle
04-08-2005, 07:23
Kilts RULE!

Worn the way God intended of course :p
Of course! :). I'll be wearing one this weekend as I continue to weekend my way through the AT in GA.

The Hammocker
04-08-2005, 20:47
you can "ride the wind" you please, I'll keep myself warm and stick with the pants.:D

Pencil Pusher
04-08-2005, 21:04
Kilt=skirt. Going commando at work was fun. A little more obvious and hence frowned on was not wearing socks with dress shoes.