PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a...

slamajama
04-17-2012, 19:59
down blanket, rather not bring a sleeping bag, any1 have any ideas im 5'7
thxs

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2012, 21:01
Serious? OK here is the correct answer... look at this and unzip - jump into it never use it for a mummy.... cheapest answer... fist pump answer.

http://www.rei.com/product/833127/marmot-always-summer-45-sleeping-bag-long-2011-closeout

What is frequently missed here at WB is understanding... find the cheapest down bag at 600+ fill vs $$$ and least weight (under two pounds) or one. It is your money learn how to use it to your best advantage..... Look for close outs - understand what the difference is from 650 - 800 and you know if you can afford it jump for the higher fill. It does get lighter. You are buying a bag for a LIFETIME. So you don't zip it still cheaper.... if you want something custom PM me, I will find it for you.

oldbear
04-17-2012, 21:05
thxs
Down blankets are called comforters

slamajama
04-18-2012, 09:16
theres comforters, duvets, and thows...was wondering if anyone went outside the norm to buy 1 that worked for hiking.

Ender
04-18-2012, 09:20
Western Mountaineering makes one specifically.
http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Cloud-9-Comforter
It isn't cheap, but it's WM, and they make very high quality gear.

That said, for the same weight and price, I'd just get a sleeping bag and use it unzipped most of the time, as that will serve double duty.

TyTy
04-18-2012, 10:53
thxs

What you are talking about is called a backpacking quilt. Search around and you will find a ton of information on quilts.

coach lou
04-18-2012, 10:57
Western Mountaineering makes one specifically.
http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Cloud-9-Comforter
It isn't cheap, but it's WM, and they make very high quality gear.

That said, for the same weight and price, I'd just get a sleeping bag and use it unzipped most of the time, as that will serve double duty.

Even in the dead of winter I can't zip my WM Puma up,it's my down blanket!!!

Slosteppin
04-18-2012, 21:41
I've been using a down quilt for four years, Old Rag Mountain, by Jacks 'R' Better. If you look at the top of the page and click on LINKS then on manufacturers their link is part way down the list. I think they are a very good team to deal with and very helpful.

slamajama
04-19-2012, 06:29
ty all very much

T-Rx
04-19-2012, 08:04
I've been using a down quilt for four years, Old Rag Mountain, by Jacks 'R' Better. If you look at the top of the page and click on LINKS then on manufacturers their link is part way down the list. I think they are a very good team to deal with and very helpful.

+1 on the JRB Old Rag Mountain top quilt. I have used mine for about a year now and love it. Keeps me warm and helps shave some ounces vs. a traditional sleeping bag.

jimmyjam
04-19-2012, 08:59
Check out the down quilts from wwwenlightenedequipment.com. You won't find a better deal.

garlic08
04-19-2012, 09:26
Check out the down quilts from wwwenlightenedequipment.com. You won't find a better deal.

Ditto this. I just bought one.