PDA

View Full Version : Where are you 2012

IrishBASTARD
04-17-2012, 21:19
Wondering about the thru-2012 CLASS. Where are you if God willing your not hurt or just got bored...and hitched home. What are your backgrounds reasons for joining up...and where on the trail you are? Any stories both interesting and weird. Heard a guy named "ROADSIDE" got mugged on trail fifty feet before "Burningtown Gap". Heard alot of "Roadside" actually sounds like a cool guy overall. But how many cool thru's have you met...hope a ton. All thes best to CLASS 2012 & BEYOND.

Ferrousknight
04-17-2012, 22:38
Wondering about the thru-2012 CLASS. Where are you if God willing your not hurt or just got bored...and hitched home. What are your backgrounds reasons for joining up...and where on the trail you are? Any stories both interesting and weird. Heard a guy named "ROADSIDE" got mugged on trail fifty feet before "Burningtown Gap". Heard alot of "Roadside" actually sounds like a cool guy overall. But how many cool thru's have you met...hope a ton. All thes best to CLASS 2012 & BEYOND.

I started on the 28th and I'm typing from the shed with the crappy old computer at standing bear. I'm going to make it to Hot Springs for the trailfest this weekend. No miraculous stories to report but I have been enjoying myself and have met an unsavory character or two who I am now happily ahead of. Really need to sleep or I'm not going to make the necessary 15 tomorrow.

-Bowser

RED-DOG
04-23-2012, 12:18
I started 2-14- just passed the Pensylvannia state line two days ago i feel great doing 25 to 30 miles a day last zero was in front royal VA i wished some thru's would catch up. tired of hiking alone. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE. RED-DOG ( FF96 & GA-ME 2006 and again in 2012

Mike2012
04-27-2012, 17:19
Started March 11 and did the glorious approach trail. I am "around" Erwin, Tennessee now and about to rebel yell I'm having so much fun. Having one of those I love the world days I guess. Best 6 weeks ever and many many more to come. Thanks Whiteblaze for all the great advice and also the yucks and hijinks. Lots of people talk about how much Whiteblaze helped them so now you know if you didn't before now.

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 17:24
Started March 11 and did the glorious approach trail. I am "around" Erwin, Tennessee now and about to rebel yell I'm having so much fun. Having one of those I love the world days I guess. Best 6 weeks ever and many many more to come. Thanks Whiteblaze for all the great advice and also the yucks and hijinks. Lots of people talk about how much Whiteblaze helped them so now you know if you didn't before now.Awesome,continue to have a great hike.:sun

Old Hiker
05-04-2012, 15:41
I'm sitting at home with right foot/ankle soft tissue injuries. Hobbled into Damascus on 24 Apr. Waited 4 days and had to come home. Planning to start again on 16 or so May.

Met a TON of great people: Video, Hungry Bear and Amber Kat, Fatherman (he's important), Blueberry, Big-E, Santa and Elf (Gnome?), Miss Janet (!!!!!), THE Lone Wolf, Bubble-Foot who ROCKS, as he found and returned my BDU liner right before the 23rd Apr snow, Chris who still owes me snow in the Smokies, and many, many others I can't remember. Everyone was helpful, supportive and encouraging for a hobbling, hurt, slow Old Hiker for sure.

Not only hikers, but Trail Magicians as well: Mr. Booth in Gatlinburg, Mr. Brown in Hampton, the couple with the incredible lunch in NC/GA (can't remember their names), Ms. Montgomery in Damascus.

The young pups ALL kept inviting me to sit with them at shelters and in towns, as I tended to stay outside the groups. I really felt intimidated and in awe of their hiking progress. I really enjoyed listening to them, though.

I've already told my boss that 15 Aug is NOT going to happen, probably. She's not exactly cool with it, but I think she understands. My wife, on the other hand...................

max patch
05-05-2012, 09:28
Heard alot of "Roadside" actually sounds like a cool guy overall.

hahahahaha

Badger2011
05-14-2012, 01:04
Our boy Smilin' Joe started 3/8 and just passed through Virginia. Catch his photo highlights here: blog.appalachiantrials.com (http://blog.appalachiantrials.com)

TammyLynn
06-04-2012, 22:46
I made it 57.3 miles in, when a stress fracture on my foot and just total exhaustion sent me home. The adventure is over for this year, but the war is not done! I am planning a 2013 hike, gleaning all that I learned and applying practical experience instead of kitchen-table knowledge. Excited!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Pottsalot
06-05-2012, 03:41
Sobo checking in, Currently at the Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands fence with Larry and friends, the mini ponys. Today i walked down the Spur trail into the Grayson Highlands park to stock up on snacks and could not make it to the next shelter, pitching a tent near which looks like a little piece of the Rockies in VA. People say this as a joke,but my whole time on the AT has been livin' a dream, i am not livin' a nightmare. Hope to meet some new people on here soon.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Loneoak
06-05-2012, 09:29
Our boy Smilin' Joe started 3/8 and just passed through Virginia. Catch his photo highlights here: blog.appalachiantrials.com (http://blog.appalachiantrials.com)
Thanks for posting his Blog, it's a good read

swjohnsey
06-07-2012, 07:18
Started March 30. Past the halfway point yesterday, June 6 and stayed at the Ironmaster Mansion Hostel last night.

Z

Old Hiker
06-08-2012, 21:00
Update to Post #6 above - got back on the Trail on 16 May - got 200 meters past Thomas Knob Shelter and severely sprained my right ankle on 18 May after 1.5 days of awesome hiking.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=378951

3 weeks later, I'm still having problems with my ankle and have scheduled an orthopedic exam. I'm sorting gear and making plans for 2016. Hope everyone else is doing well. Hike on and stay safe!

WickedMiner
06-10-2012, 00:05
I got on the trail on april 19th this year. met so many cool people. i hiked until plumorchard shelter. just before N.C. i ended up coming home after about 9 days. I regreted it so much from the second i found out my ride was on its way. i want so badly to get back to the A.T. If all goes well i'll start over next year.

Namaste
06-10-2012, 11:30
I passed lots of NOBO's on my southbound hike from CT to Bear Mtn. bridge last week....Roots, Gatsby, Antsy & Cliffhanger, Socrates, Snarf, B-Man, Weaver, Sarge, Beowulf and a bunch more that I didn't catch their name or I forgot it.

CarolinaATMom
06-10-2012, 14:08
My son, Loner from Greenville, SC left Amicalola on April 7th, and just left Waynesboro, Va on June 7th heading towards Harper's Ferry. Recently he met up with Apache and a guy named B1 from Hampton, NH (one of our other home towns).

HikerMom58
06-10-2012, 15:37
Cool Beans CarolinaATMom.... hehe. I'm orginally from NH... did you live in Hampton, NH? Good to hear that Loner is still hiking!! Go Class of 2012....I can't wait to get out there, for a bit, myself the end of July. :)

CarolinaATMom
06-10-2012, 20:14
Wow - HikerMom KD - I had no idea you were born in New Hampshire after all of our letters! My mom had a tiny beach cottage in Hampton, Village, almost in Rye New Hampshire and we went there every summer. And I lived there for almost a year in 2006 and 2007. I'd live there now if I could handle the winters! It's my favorite place in the world, but it wasn't meant to be with my children and grandchildren here. My daughter and I keep talking about moving back up there but I am so spoiled by the warm weather and no need to shovel snow. My dream would be to live in Hampton in the summer and winter here.
Where were you born and how old were you when you left? Do you go back at all?
I know you must be getting excited about your journey! I can't wait to hear all about your trip with Strange Habit.

CarolinaATMom
06-10-2012, 20:28
I forgot to mention that Loner has a You Tube video blog: http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner2012AT

Sampson
06-13-2012, 10:41
My friend and I met both Socrates and Roots at the Allentown Shelter in PA back on the 21/22nd of May --- We were section hiking SOBO from Lehigh Gap to Port Clinton --- Very cool guys who seemed to be quite determined. I'm glad to hear they're still chugging along. We also met up with Daypack over at the Eckville Shelter. I think he may of ended up taking a zero after meeting up with us but it was certainly for good reason. I'd love to get an update on his progress if anyone knows.

rocketsocks
06-13-2012, 14:18
My friend and I met both Socrates and Roots at the Allentown Shelter in PA back on the 21/22nd of May --- We were section hiking SOBO from Lehigh Gap to Port Clinton --- Very cool guys who seemed to be quite determined. I'm glad to hear they're still chugging along. We also met up with Daypack over at the Eckville Shelter. I think he may of ended up taking a zero after meeting up with us but it was certainly for good reason. I'd love to get an update on his progress if anyone knows.DayPak posts on http://www.trailjournals.com/ :welcometo White Blaze

Sampson
06-14-2012, 07:38
DayPak posts on http://www.trailjournals.com/ :welcometo White Blaze
Thanks but after doing some reading it seems that this is not the same daypak/pack. The one I'm referring to was quite a bit north of where this guy was. Tarzan's journal over there mentions the daypack I met quite a bit. Oh...and thanks for the nice welcome. I find some some of the content on this site fascinating and am very glad to have stumbled upon it. You seem to be a fine contributor and a great ambassador. It's very nice to meet you!

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 07:56
Thanks but after doing some reading it seems that this is not the same daypak/pack. The one I'm referring to was quite a bit north of where this guy was. Tarzan's journal over there mentions the daypack I met quite a bit. Oh...and thanks for the nice welcome. I find some some of the content on this site fascinating and am very glad to have stumbled upon it. You seem to be a fine contributor and a great ambassador. It's very nice to meet you!Seems that way huh,Actually To barrow a phrase from Gary Blazer "I'm not really a hiker,I just play one on White Blaze"hehehe,nice to meet you too Sampson.Yes it is a great site,a one stop shopping,if you will.When I first came here,I received a very warm welcome,and try to just pass it on.Also was told that everything is here and that all the questions have been asked and answered,and that for the most part is true,on the home page(with a little bit of poking around),there is a tremendous amounts of cumulative knowledge here that is there for the reading,all good stuff,make sure you read the "Hike my hike hike damit" it's a WB favorite.Happy Trails Sampson,see ya up the trail,and as always,HYOH

Bugger
06-22-2012, 21:55
Secret shelter. Ghetto. Winchester. 270. Hippopotamus. Driving range. Buttpussy.
With bat, Yappy, Orange, pretzel, JC, tdog.

fireneck
06-30-2012, 14:44
Secret shelter. Ghetto. Winchester. 270. Hippopotamus. Driving range. Buttpussy.
With bat, Yappy, Orange, pretzel, JC, tdog.

^^THIS... GUY!!

I'm hanging out in the DOC hiker lounge in Hanover, NH.

pyroman9
07-07-2012, 11:25
Just finished the trail. #26 at Katahdin. Started March 15th at springer. what a great journey! So many incredible memories.

~Bomber GA-ME 2012

Spools
07-07-2012, 13:24
Started March 17, got off at Waynesboro May 15. flip flopping July 26! Looking forward to seeing lots of new friends and old ones as well.

BFI
07-07-2012, 14:23
Like “Old Hiker” I unfortunately had to leave the trail ( May 17, due to an Afib Heart problem). My trail name was or is Good Penny. I met and hiked with a lot of interesting hikers young and old; Dos, Gumpy & Peeper, Kikker & Tree Cycler, Connect Four, Opie, Parmesan, Bright Flower, Kokapelli, Voltron, Wobbles, Detune, Big and Little Brothers, Kazoo, Bismark & Hopper, Zora, Mouse, Smitter, Damn Yankee, Zip, Spiderman, The Traveling Family, Mr. Wrong, Mr Fantastic, Rocky and Spice, Buddha, Coleman, D-Bag, BJ,TP, Bamboo Bob, Crooked Sticks, Provisions ( he was living in the Chestnut Shelter), Sweet & Low, Teflon, Easy, Sarge, Weaver, SOS, Kookie Monster, Cato, Miss Janet, Baltimore Jack, The Honeymooners, to name but a few of the wonderful people I met along my journey.
The only time I was concerned was during a Lightning Storm the second day I was on the trail. I was overwhelmed with the generosity and kindness of the church groups and trail magic & I had the time of my life and can’t wait to go back and finish what I started next April , as long as the doctors can fix my ticker. I can’t think of a better or more wonderful adventure than hiking the AT.
I now know why people return to do over. The worst day was having to admit to myself that the boots I had purchased for this trip didn’t fit and were not going to break in. Bought a new pair of Oboz at the NOC and my feet started to heal and became pain free three days later. One of the best days was doing 10 miles by 10:30 in the morning and still having lots of energy to continue for another 15.
Heck.. Every Day was a Best Day, rain, shine , snow, hail, it didn’t matter I was outside, moving North.
To quote Hunter S Thomson.” There was no point in looking back, F____ No, not today thank you, My heart was filled with Joy, I felt like the monster reincarnation of Horatio Algers, a man on the move, and just sick enough to be totally confident.”

Mike2012
07-07-2012, 17:07
Just finished the trail. #26 at Katahdin. Started March 15th at springer. what a great journey! So many incredible memories.

~Bomber GA-ME 2012

:eek: dang dude! I started the 11th and am only at Front Royal. Guess I'm on the 7 month plan. CONGRATS!!!!! Dreaming of kissing that sign several months from now.

rocketsocks
07-07-2012, 17:12

~Bomber GA-ME 2012Congrats Bomber, maybe think about changing you avatar, hehehe
Boom Boom....Boom

pyroman9
07-14-2012, 00:37
I got my avatar now updated :) lol thanks

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 00:41
I got my avatar now updated :) lol thanksLooks good man, again congrats on the finish, awesome feat really!

WingedMonkey
07-14-2012, 05:22
I got my avatar now updated :) lol thanks

How much trail did you skip?

pyroman9
07-14-2012, 09:25
Winged. I suppose if you shall ask, i missed .5 miles in SNP... that is about it. O wait I took a blue blaze out of Scotty's hostel.. .so another .2

Other than that I enjoyed all of it. Thank you for the nice post :)

WingedMonkey
07-14-2012, 09:51
Winged. I suppose if you shall ask, i missed .5 miles in SNP... that is about it. O wait I took a blue blaze out of Scotty's hostel.. .so another .2

Other than that I enjoyed all of it. Thank you for the nice post :)

Then why did you change your avatar to 2000 miler? That's usually for those that skipped around the trail?

:banana

pyroman9
07-14-2012, 09:55
Not sure how that one makes sense... lol but ok.. is this better? lol

WingedMonkey
07-14-2012, 10:15
Not sure how that one makes sense... lol but ok.. is this better? lol

Yep...now you get a patch....I think.

:p

Larry Vaughn
09-05-2012, 13:14
a little on the slow side here, it will be 6 months in a couple of days, but I am having a blast. I just entered New Hampshire and am having a great time in Hanover. Best wishes to all who are out there this year and hope tto see you on the summit prolly on the 14th

hbc2194
10-12-2012, 18:05
Hey there! We're ALL important when we hike the trail, at any distance! My pleasure to meet you "OLD Hiker". I'm 47, and believe me, after my thru hike this year, I feel like it, ha!

hbc2194
10-12-2012, 18:08
Nice to see you again Spools!
FM

slow mind
10-12-2012, 18:22
Irishbastard/Roadside,

Just cause I am curious or my reading comprehension is not up to snuff, why do you post about yourself with a different username and write under the username about Roadside in the third person? Am I correct in understanding that "Irishbastard" & "Roadside" are are your username and trailname? I hope you don't think I would judge you for this... I am just confused. Is it a marketing or branding effort?

max patch
10-12-2012, 18:59
[QUOTE=slow mind;1348164]Irishbastard/Roadside,

Just cause I am curious or my reading comprehension is not up to snuff, why do you post about yourself with a different username and write under the username about Roadside in the third person?

Based on his first post in this thread looks to me like he was trying to make a name for himself. But a smart WBer (don't remember who) outed him just a short time later.

slow mind
10-12-2012, 19:17
Yeah, I was aware of the" outing" when I posted here. With the new posts in this thread I was only drawing light to the facts.

Many Moons
10-13-2012, 12:59

I was wondering were the crew ended up that started Springer on April 8th? Robo and Tink? Seminole? Brown? Chief? Hook and the rest?? Hike On!!!

Miller

gator and rudy
10-22-2012, 12:00
Left April 7th finished October 7th! Rudy the amazing trail dog did the entire thing with me!
Robo and Tink left in Caratunk and were planning on coming back to finish, Seminole booked it and finished months ago, brown got off in caratunk and plans to return,I summitted with Salsbury, Hot Pants, and Hook

AngryGerman
10-26-2012, 11:32
I started July 23 at Baxter State Park and I am currently in Duncannon, PA. I am expecting to pick up the pace again as my distractions will be down to a minimum, less this blasted hurricane coming through! There are a lot of SOBO's on the trail still and most are rocking through! Onward Southward!

HikerMom58
10-26-2012, 11:58
I started July 23 at Baxter State Park and I am currently in Duncannon, PA. I am expecting to pick up the pace again as my distractions will be down to a minimum, less this blasted hurricane coming through! There are a lot of SOBO's on the trail still and most are rocking through! Onward Southward!

Good to know... keep on truckin....:)

RWheeler
11-14-2012, 18:08
Punchline.

I started 4/24 and made it to Erwin by the Thursday before Trail Days (5/17?), before having to hitch home for job stuff. Stuff has been a bit... difficult... adjusting back afterwards and dealing with some of life's presents, so I've actually actively avoided a great deal of hiking forums for a while. But I'm back, WB.

AngryGerman
12-09-2012, 23:48
Here I am this 9th day of December, my b-day by the way, enjoying a porter and watching the game at an awesome trail angel's house outside of Catawba, VA. I am no longer on pace to finish w/in five months I am now on pace for five and one half months and I am not upset about it at all. I am very fortunate to have a supporting wife who has visited me whenever we could make arrangements, most recently 4 days in Front Royal, with a grand total of 35 days off trail with mein frau all making my hike that much better! I will be off trail with Mrs. AG for xmas starting the 22nd and will not start walking again until the 26th.

The single most important piece of advice I've heard on the trail, as cliche' and trite as it may be, is... HYOH!

Good luck SOBO's, almost there BABY!

AngryGerman
02-15-2013, 12:05
Well folks, I completed my Southbound Thru-hike with another SOBO on 9 Feb 2013. What a glorious day it was too! A pic for you to boot!

HikerMom58
02-15-2013, 12:24
Well folks, I completed my Southbound Thru-hike with another SOBO on 9 Feb 2013. What a glorious day it was too! A pic for you to boot!

Congrats!!!!! WTG!!!

Karma13
02-15-2013, 12:30
Congratulations, AngryGerman. What an accomplishment! (And a great photo, too!)

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 13:52

Congratulations!

Camel2012
02-15-2013, 13:56
Punchline.

I started 4/24 and made it to Erwin by the Thursday before Trail Days (5/17?), before having to hitch home for job stuff. Stuff has been a bit... difficult... adjusting back afterwards and dealing with some of life's presents, so I've actually actively avoided a great deal of hiking forums for a while. But I'm back, WB.

Ahh, one of the people i named on the trail.

Hope everything is going good for you Punchline. Hated to see you leave after trail days.