PDA

View Full Version : Latest i can start thru hike nobo??

msudodson07
04-18-2012, 00:20
I'm planning thru hiking in 2014 after graduating college. I know it is a little early to be concerned with the fine details but i don't want to looking down at my wristwatch worried about making to Baxter by the closing date. I would like to hike northbound to have the big finish at the end instead of doing a flip-flop. So my question is would starting from springer mt. around May 15 be to far behind schedule and would i miss the "movement" north completely?

fiddlehead
04-18-2012, 02:15
There was a similar question not long ago.
I'll briefly describe my answer to it:
I started one year on May 9 and took a week off when I got to PA.
I finished that year Oct 9th or 11th (not sure which)
So, yes, it is doable.
I am (or was) a fairly fast hiker and probably averaged 18 mpd with my "town rule" being: one night in a hotel is enough, sleep in the woods at least the second night.

As far as catching the bubble: I doubt you will but you will catch many people who have decided they would rather slow down and enjoy the roses rather than hike hard to get to Maine by Oct 15th. They are more the partying crowd and might be tough to move on past.

Up to you. It's what's in your head that counts.
Get in shape before you go is my advice.

oldbear
04-18-2012, 05:36
You really need to plan on arriving in Baxter State Park no later than 10/12
While you can legally climb any other mountain on the AT in the worst weather imaginable ; you cannot legally climb Katahdin in bad weather because the BSP rangers can and do close the mtn to climbing

speedbump
04-18-2012, 07:44
I'm planning thru hiking in 2014 after graduating college. I know it is a little early to be concerned with the fine details but i don't want to looking down at my wristwatch worried about making to Baxter by the closing date. I would like to hike northbound to have the big finish at the end instead of doing a flip-flop. So my question is would starting from springer mt. around May 15 be to far behind schedule and would i miss the "movement" north completely?

I am planning on the same thing. I will start the same week and graduate in 2014 as well. However, I have finished most of New England and plan on skipping that section, starting back up at 100 mile wilderness. Hope to cya in 2014 !

msudodson07
04-18-2012, 13:02
thanks for all of the input guys and gals.. so would you guys recommend a flip flop hike starting in say Harper's Ferry to Baxter and then return and do the southern half?? My reasoning for wanting to somewhat be with the crowd is i would like to have some fun and make some friends on the trail. I don't want my memory of the trail to be rushed, i would like to at least have a few folks there to laugh at my misfortunes and such every now and again. I know the flip flop is probably the more reasonable choice i just wanted to do it traditionally but college just will not allow me to do so.

msudodson07
04-18-2012, 13:04
well let me rephrase.. college puts a major strain on the traditional time frame.

Odd Man Out
04-18-2012, 13:19
thanks for all of the input guys and gals.. so would you guys recommend a flip flop hike starting in say Harper's Ferry to Baxter and then return and do the southern half?? My reasoning for wanting to somewhat be with the crowd is i would like to have some fun and make some friends on the trail. I don't want my memory of the trail to be rushed, i would like to at least have a few folks there to laugh at my misfortunes and such every now and again. I know the flip flop is probably the more reasonable choice i just wanted to do it traditionally but college just will not allow me to do so.

Lots of info about the pros and cons of various options here;

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

The trip you describe (HF-ME/HF-GA) is what the ATC calls the "Head Start May". It seems to meet your requirements of hiking with some people. You see the NOBOs in the first half and the SOBOs in the second. The classic Flip Flop (per ATC) is to Hike from GA north until late summer. Then get up to ME and hike south to finish.

max patch
04-18-2012, 13:27
Since you are of college age and specifically mentioned wanting to meet people and have fun I would suggest you attend Trail Days in Damascus and start North from there. Trail Days is always the weekend after Mothers Day so it fits in with your timetable. Lot of hikers will be at Damascus then (duh!) and will hiking N when it is over.

To answer your original question May 1 is IMO the last reasonable date to leave Springer for most hikers to expect to finish a traditional NOBO.

msudodson07
04-18-2012, 21:32
Thanks guys.. i think i've decided to do the head start may it seems the most reasonable but i will most def check into the trail days idea too. By the way what liter packs would you suggest?? I'm trying to decide between a 48 or 58 i have a 65+10 right now and I've gotten my gear size and weight down enough to go to a smaller,ultralight pack but i would like to go ahead and get the same model i would use on the trail to adapt myself and my gear to it.

Papa D
04-18-2012, 21:54
You should consider starting a June southbound hike

ajdunton
07-25-2013, 00:52
I'm thinking about starting a nobo around the same time when school ends, but I am looking for someone to hike with. I'm 21 and will be going into my super senior year of college at that point. Message me if you are interested

fishfeet
07-25-2013, 10:16
It is possible, ive seen people in NY already who started may 8-12 and theyre not terribly fast by any means, they just hike long days, and they do it everyday. I just cant say I recommend it because theyre mostly the people who no one really knows, they just kind of move right through and dont go out of their way to talk to anyone. With such little time to spare it becomes a job day-after-day rather than an adventure, just saying.

That being said, its all up to you. And im here to say that its definitely do-able, especially for us younger guys. I really hate HYOH but its SO TRUE.

BZ853
07-25-2013, 11:27
Im starting in June going nobo in 14. but plan to get off at HF so I can go back to school.

Just Bill
07-25-2013, 16:32
Regarding your pack question, check out this thread- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96948-Pack-size-for-short-trips-(1-4-nights)&highlight=que+sera