PDA

View Full Version : good starting point for the trail if starting in july?

Pappa Green Jeans
04-03-2005, 14:10
Will you please give me your opinion on where you would start on the trail; if you were to start in July? I know it can be specific to the individuals preferences, just put that aside and give me what you would do and why. I would like to hear what great experiences you had. Thank you & god bless.

Pappa Green Jeans

Lone Wolf
04-03-2005, 14:36
Harpers Ferry northbound.

Peaks
04-03-2005, 16:09
July would be a great place to be hiking almost anywhere. However, I'd probably seek out the northeast states and avoid some of the dog days of summer in the south.

With a July start, I might consider a SOBO

A-Train
04-03-2005, 16:10
Mt Katahdin for sure. Head south young man. July in Maine is awesome

Roland
04-03-2005, 16:19
Will you please give me your opinion on where you would start on the trail; if you were to start in July? I know it can be specific to the individuals preferences, just put that aside and give me what you would do and why. I would like to hear what great experiences you had. Thank you & god bless.

Pappa Green Jeans Pappa Green Jeans,

You may want to hook-up with this guy. You have a lot in common.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7747

NotYet
04-04-2005, 08:06
Start at Katahdin and go Sobo! :sun

It's a different hike than a Nobo hike...but "walking with Fall" has lots of advantages.

Smooth03
04-04-2005, 09:07
SOBO for sure.

schwenkler
04-04-2005, 12:27
NOBO from Deleware Water Gap or wherever's easiest to get to in NJ/NY. I did this last year and it was great. You're around the thru-hikers, you can start out slow with tons of diner stops, and the trail just gets more beautiful as you go. I always thought each state was better than the last.
Going SOBO I feel like it would be difficult leaving the Whites behind to head into the green tunnel.

NotYet
04-04-2005, 19:35
Going SOBO I feel like it would be difficult leaving the Whites behind to head into the green tunnel.

Going Sobo your tunnel may be green, yellow, orange, red, brown, silver, white, etc! :)

After allowing you to enjoy their infinite shades of green, the leaves will suddenly burst into a riotous party of color. You'll continue South through "the tunnel", and it'll be green again. The colorful party will appear again and again, until the leaves finally throw you your very own ticker-tape parade. The hidden brown contours of the mountains will be revealed, the skies will sharpen, and you might see for miles and miles! Finally, if you are lucky, the fluffy, fresh snows of late Fall will visit. The tunnel will then sparkle and gleam in a silent but joyful celebration of your arrival. A southbound hike is a very rewarding adventure...plus you practically have the trail to yourself!

walkingwounded
04-15-2005, 16:55
I flip flopped in '02. Started in harper's ferry in mid june. Couldn't have been better. Everyone I met had already been through half of the trail and could quickly get me up to speed on what I needed to do to make it. You get to enjoy the trail as a northbounder with a large group and then an entirely different experience coming south. Two completely different views of the trail doing it that way.

The Hog
04-16-2005, 07:44
Start at Katahdin and go south. You'll beat the heat and enjoy great swimming opportunities in Maine. Rainbow Lake (watch for leeches), Nahmakanta sand beach, Lower Jo Mary, the pool just below Cooper Brook Falls (four stars), and many others. Enjoy!

neo
04-16-2005, 22:20
i would start at katahdin and go south:cool: neo